• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What You Need To Know BEFORE Your Bird Gets Sick

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I have been wanting to do this thread since I went through an illness with Tequila. I like many was not prepared for the inevitable, one of my birds got sick. Had I been more prepared, it maybe would have been just a tad less stressful, although no matter what your world stops when one of your birds suddenly shows signs of illness. I am by no means an expert but this is a list of some of the things I found I needed.
1. Have a plan. What if one of your birds gets sick? Do you have your vets phone number handy? Would you have something to make a hospital cage with? It wasnt until days later I thought about all the larger travel cages I have that would have made a great hospital cage.
2. Supplies. There are things you will need to help keep your bird stable throughout their illness.
a) Ceramic heat lamp and or a heating pad to add additional warmth.
b) An aquarium or a travel cage that can be your hospital cage.
c) Thermometer-To monitor the temperature inside the hospital cage so it doesnt become to warm or not warm enough.
d) Avian Scale or kitchen scale-You need to monitor your birds weight not only in times of illness but every week to be able to know what is normal for your birds.
e) First Aid Kit
f) Non prescription items that can keep your bird stable until you can seek medical attention
Avitec has a wealth of products that I have since ordered and will always have onhand
1. Avipow Antifungal and antibacterial
2. Avigain A weight gain supplement for birds recovering from an illness
3. Formula One Handfeeding formula for baby birds and also birds that are sick
4. Avi-Immune To help boost your birds immune system
5. Electrovites What I like about this is you mix it up as needed, no waste
6. Slippery Elm Powder- Good for digestion and GI tract issues
7. Aloe Detox
8. An emergency vet fund. The cost can rack up very quickly when you have a sick bird.
9. Unfiltered Apple Cider Vinegar
10. Cayenne Pepper
11. Pedialyte
12. Humidifier-not only in times of illness but whenever the air is dry, mainly in the winter with the use of heat. Optimal humidity in our homes for our birds is around 50-55%
13. Healx Soother Plus Cream- for a variety of uses
14. Probiotics- for preventitive use and also for use during and after antiboitic treatment
15. Ginger capsules or fresh ginger-Good for stomach upsets or nausea
16. Cammomile Tea-calming for both you and your bird
17. GSE- Grapefruit Seed Extract - preventitive uses, cleaning and also antiviral and antifungal properities
I hope others will add to this list. These are the items I now have onhand and will not be without. Do it NOW before your bird gets sick. It could very well save their life.

Last edited:

WingedVictory

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Gary
Very good post and a great starter thread! I hope everyone reads the thread and acts to get the supplies before having and emergency. I think there should be a basic list and a advanced list for those people living remote to and avian vet.

gary

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Good idea Pat...I have many of what you mentioned but need to get the rest and keep everything in one location ready to go...

To add....
pedialyte

cayenne powder

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thank you Leslie. Added Cayenne and Pedialyte as an alternative to the electrovites.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
This is a great thread and thank you for listing all the items. Will be making my shopping list and keeping an emergency cupboard. You never know when it will be needed.:hug8:

Nikki

Hit the Road
Real Name
Nikki
This is a great thread! I'm going to pick up a few of the non prescription items I don't have to add to my kit.

liltweets

Jogging around the block
Very good thread.
And keep adding and adding to a bird fund. You never know when it will cost a lot more than what you ever imagined. And maybe pet insurance before an illness? They reimburse from what I have read with a deductible for a single illness.
And calling around to find out what vet is on call on holidays and weekends, when a lot of things can happen. Even if you have to drive 2-3 hours when no one else is on call. It can make a difference between life and death. We learned that when Buddy was so sick over the New Year's Holidays and we had to drive to NC.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thank you Danita, I added the healx. I just bought some of that too. Harrisons also has a product called Booster which is an RPO (Red Palm Oil) with some additives for immune support. I got a free sample when I placed an order. Also one other thing about having these items is being able to share them with a Roadie in need. Shortly after I got some of these items we had a Roadie that needed some help and I sent them some of my products to help get them through. :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.