• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What would you do? Two choices!

Status
Not open for further replies.

crazyanimal

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Delta
I know it is hard when we want to buy other things for our fids but food is important. Yes, there may be enough for about a week but anything in life can come unexpectedly, so it is better to have lots on hand for those moments.

Stacy_b

Real Name
Stacy
When it comes to food or toys as an option....Im not sure I really see the *option* here. Food period. If you cant do both, then its food.

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
Iwould put the food first and then decide what I could manage with the rest. At my age have come to realise we do not know what is around the corner, and there may be something that will need your extra money that is more important but so far not reared its head? Also i like to sleep at night knowing my fids are not going to be needing anything.:hug8:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
THANKS EVERYONE for your replies and suggestions! I believe I know what I should do now :D

You can cedar wood for birds??
Yep :) Most parrot wood toys are untreated pine and cedar wood. Its only woodchips or "animal bedding" that is pine or cedar that is harmful, because of the poisonous particles that are breathed in.

KimKimWilliamson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kim Williamson
I am a total impulse shopper, so I can relate to your way of thinking when it comes to this situation.. I literally have this battle Everyday! LOL Buy new glasses (as mine are way too old to be of use anymore) or buy $300 worth of dog/bird toys? Aww the old eyes can wait, LOL!

Good Luck on deciding, I am of no help! LOL

Lex123

Yep :) Most parrot wood toys are untreated pine and cedar wood. Its only woodchips or "animal bedding" that is pine or cedar that is harmful, because of the poisonous particles that are breathed in.
Cool! So I could build a playstand out of cedar wood, and it wood be safe? This is great! We have 100's of cedars out on our land :)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Cool! So I could build a playstand out of cedar wood, and it wood be safe? This is great! We have 100's of cedars out on our land :)
You might want to take a look under healthy highway and a sticky on toxic.

I went to 15 different sites and only one lists cedar as non toxic. All the rest either list it as toxic or don't list it.

We know it is used in hope chests to preserve and prevent moth invasion. This is because of the oils in the wood which are what is toxic. One poster had a bird get into cedar wood chips. It was not the dust that was the problem. It was the oils which got on the feathers and in less than an hour plucked every feather...she had to wash the birds several times and go to emergency vet. The bird was having a severe contact allergic reaction to the cedar.

What was found on the other sites was that it is not known all that are toxic but many of the sites listed what were felt better choices of wood for perches and stands....cedar was not one of them.

Peggy

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Some info on Cedar:
Toxic: CEDAR - Thuja, Chamaecyparis, Cupressus
Non-toxic for birds list and a list of things that are toxic for birds.

Safe for perches:
Cedar
Cedar is usually listed as a "safe wood" and the wood is said to be safe for perches.
However, Cedar shavings may contain compounds that can cause respiratory problems and other serious health problems in birds.
If Cedar is to be used, Red Cedar should be avoided. Yellow and Sitka Cedar may be safe (but couldn't confirm)..

Wood / Trees / Bushes Considered Safe for Birds

Cedar is listed as toxic for unsafe wood to use for chinchilla chew toys:
Safe Wood for Chinchillas

Toxic woods:
Michigan & Great Lakes Area Exotic Bird Breeders - Toxic Foods, Plants and Woods
[/COLOR]

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.