• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What will i need for an african grey parrot?

nutsmcgee

Checking out the neighborhood
hello on craigslist there is an african grey parrot that i am hopefully going to buy today assuming someone doesnt get it first.
my first question is is what supplies will i need?
-most care sheets just said it was important to interact with them and that they need toys but what size enclosure do they need what are the toys they get the most enjoyment out of?

- in the parrot world what is the best way to set up an ethical enclosure? personally i think it’s extremely unethical to keep a bird in captivity, so id try to provide as “natural of a set up as possible and allow the parrot to forage.

-can a parrot be kept in a grow tent or do they need bars for climbing and would become unhappy or bored in a tent? i would choose one with a viewing panel and would leave the door open most of the time. i think it might be good for a low stress environment because they have flaps to block out any light. id like to add plants and lots of perches as well as a bioactive substrate that the bird might pick small invertebrates out of? the only issue i could see with using the grow tent is that the bird wouldnt be able tobgrip onto the sides of the enclosure.

-for stimuli i understand that it needs allot of toys and stimuli to stop them from stressing so i was wondering what toys birds seemed to get the most enrichment out of.

-cage placement: im considering either putting him in the living room infront of a fishtank so that he can watch that but on occasion loud music is played, the tv is left on allot sometimes until 2-3 in the morning, and last but certainly not least is our 3 poodles who love to bark at absolutly nothing which im sure could be quite stressful for the bird or maybe the stimuli would be good. or the other place im considering putting it is the guest room which is the exact opposite of the living room is extremely quiet and mind very boring because no one goes in there. even the succulent plants get dehydrated and get close to death. id obviously start going in there all the time but im just saying that it could also be less than ideal for the opposite reason.

-bird baths? can i put a little tub in the cage maybe with an airpump? could i put some hardy fish in the bird bath or would that risk some sort of transfer in pathogens.

-could i put a betta in the enclosure for the bird to watch? i know this sounds weird but care sheets mentioned they like to watch tv when left alone but most likely the parrot will be put in the guest room with no tv.

i understand this is one of the most advanced parrots and should not be bought on impulse and while getting it will be impulsive i am committed to giving it the best set up and carepossible

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
A tent would be stultifying to any parrot. Not being able to see out in all directions and in semi darkness all of the time? Cages are not cruel and most birds consider them their home and safe place. Most important they are much harder to keep clean - particularly with a substrate such as you decide. African greys are the top bird susceptible to Aspergillosis and the substrate is ripe for the growth of fungus and bacteria.

Plant create the same problem. Plants must have a medium and moisture to live - fungus spores just love dirt and moisture and warmth. Aspergillosis again.

Birds and fish don't mix well due to the chemicals needed to keep fish - not a good idea and of no benefit to your bird.

Keep your dogs and your bird absolutely separated. Birds are prey and dogs are predators - especially poodles who have been bred to be bird dogs. Over the years there have been dozens of birds killed by an owner's dog or cat who they just swore were great friends with the bird.

This will give you some guidance as to cage size - Guidelines for Cage Size and Bar Spacing | Center for Animal Rehabilitation and Education

We have numerous vendors associated with this forum - They provide wonderful products and great service. - List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles

Have you given any thought to your AG's diet. They do have some special requirements. AG's are also more susceptible than other parrots to Aspergillosis and Atherosclerosis and calcium deficiency. You need to study and solicit help for your bird's diet.

Best of luck with your new bird.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
PS - your first few months will just be a settling in period and making your new bird comfortable.

Yes, African Greys are wicked smart, but they are still a parrot and act just like a parrot.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hello,
Worth keeping in mind that the bird will need a vet check up to be sure they are illness/disease free. It might be best to do that as close to the purchase date as possible, then they can settle in without any more scary trips.

Greylady1966

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Carol
How long have you really thought about getting a parrot? So much changes around the house once you live with them. No candles, perfume, sprays, nonstick pans and so much more. Do you have someone willing to take care of the bird if your gone for a few days for a vacation? CAV care can be expensive but needed, good idea to have some money ready. Many people come on the forum when their parrots are sick that can't or don't think they need to go to the vet, the parrot pays the price for it. Nikki, my CAG, had aspers and it was a long, hard treatment that involved traveling hours to see her vet. Expensive but I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Wish you luck.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's a reason why bioactive enclosures aren't popular for birds. With birds you need as much ventilation as possible. Fungus. mould and bugs are not good for birds. While many species of parrot do come from regions with high humidity, they spend their time in the trees and in the sky - not on the ground. Parrots create a lot of waste with droppings, dropped food etc and a clean-up crew would struggle to keep on top of it.

An African Grey needs an enclosure of at least 48x36" (Wingspan Info | Natural Inspirations Parrot cages) to give it room to stretch properly - bigger is better though, and if you can go larger than this, you should. It will need a variety of natural wood perches to keep its feet healthy, as well as rope perches and platform perches for variety. It will need daily time out of the cage in a parrot-safe space.

I would have two cages - a day cage in the room where the acitivity is, and a sleep cage in the quiet boring guest room. Parrots do need their sleep and not getting enough sleep can lead to stress and unwanted behaviours. I aim for 12 hours of dark quiet time a night.

Aim for a mix of toys: many birds enjoy having foraging toys which make them work for their food. Blu's Bird Toys (Blu's Bird Toys - Stimulate Your Bird's Senses!) make amazing stainless steel toys which are noisy and shiny. Seriously Nutz (Welcome to Seriously Nutz - Bird Toys For Serious Chewers!) makes great wood toys for parrots to destroy. For parrots, destroying something is play, so budget accordingly. You will be spending money every month on replacing destroyed toys with fresh ones.

No fish in the bird enclosure. The water treatments that fish need could be harmful for the bird, and anything deep enough to be an appropriate enclosure for fish will be a drowning risk for a bird. Parrots do appreciate baths, either being misted with a spray bottle or using a shower perch in the shower.

The dogs and parrot should not meet. Many parrots are killed or injured by a sweet, gentle family pet that no one expected to go for the bird.

Homing a parrot requires major life changes - everything from replacing kitchen equipment (no teflon) to getting rid of perfumes, air fresheners, candles and aerosols to arranging your work schedule to ensure you spend enough time with the bird to arranging boarding if you need to be away from home to finding an avian vet who is knowledgeable about treating birds. As @Zara said, a vet check soon after getting a bird is a good idea.

An African Grey is about as smart as a four year old. It will remain a four year old (but one that can fly and with pliers attached to its face) for decades. Offering a home to one is not a decision to be made lightly or impulsively. It is akin to having a child, but one who will rely on you for all their needs long past the age when a human child will leave home and become independent. Your post indicates that you have not spent much time learning about parrots. If you want to get this bird, you have a hell of a learning curve ahead of you.

Last edited:

barbs0nly

Walking the driveway
Real Name
lilly
hello on craigslist there is an african grey parrot that i am hopefully going to buy today assuming someone doesnt get it first.
my first question is is what supplies will i need?
-most care sheets just said it was important to interact with them and that they need toys but what size enclosure do they need what are the toys they get the most enjoyment out of?

- in the parrot world what is the best way to set up an ethical enclosure? personally i think it’s extremely unethical to keep a bird in captivity, so id try to provide as “natural of a set up as possible and allow the parrot to forage.

-can a parrot be kept in a grow tent or do they need bars for climbing and would become unhappy or bored in a tent? i would choose one with a viewing panel and would leave the door open most of the time. i think it might be good for a low stress environment because they have flaps to block out any light. id like to add plants and lots of perches as well as a bioactive substrate that the bird might pick small invertebrates out of? the only issue i could see with using the grow tent is that the bird wouldnt be able tobgrip onto the sides of the enclosure.

-for stimuli i understand that it needs allot of toys and stimuli to stop them from stressing so i was wondering what toys birds seemed to get the most enrichment out of.

-cage placement: im considering either putting him in the living room infront of a fishtank so that he can watch that but on occasion loud music is played, the tv is left on allot sometimes until 2-3 in the morning, and last but certainly not least is our 3 poodles who love to bark at absolutly nothing which im sure could be quite stressful for the bird or maybe the stimuli would be good. or the other place im considering putting it is the guest room which is the exact opposite of the living room is extremely quiet and mind very boring because no one goes in there. even the succulent plants get dehydrated and get close to death. id obviously start going in there all the time but im just saying that it could also be less than ideal for the opposite reason.

-bird baths? can i put a little tub in the cage maybe with an airpump? could i put some hardy fish in the bird bath or would that risk some sort of transfer in pathogens.

-could i put a betta in the enclosure for the bird to watch? i know this sounds weird but care sheets mentioned they like to watch tv when left alone but most likely the parrot will be put in the guest room with no tv.

i understand this is one of the most advanced parrots and should not be bought on impulse and while getting it will be impulsive i am committed to giving it the best set up and carepossible
if i may ask how long have you been researching getting a bird and how much experience do you have, while there’s no such thing as a beginner bird there is such thing as going above what you know. if you don’t know the basics i would pass on the grey, (diet etc) you should know the cage size and setup before you pick up the bird as well even the cost of my gcc is hundreds a month on toys and enrichment, not to mention when i had my blue and golds. it seems like you aren’t ready for the bird. no offense meant but greys are SO expensive and need a lot of care. if you don’t have everything set before you get the bird and don’t have at least a baseline of understanding don’t get it. especially if you don’t know what grey hormones are like. this is an impulse buy whether you’re aware or not, idk what care sheets you read but i’ve never heard of a tent being the enclosure for a bird? i hope i don’t come across as rude but it’s better to pass on the bird and save yourself the guilt of having a miserable bird with behavior issues all cause you were too excited about it going in and rushed the purchase. edit: reading through my reply i sound dumb and repetitive LMAOAOAO but it needs to be said, also the part about thinking keeping birds is unethical while also not knowing the care extensively and buying one on a whim seems like a red flag to me. i’d really really think this through before going through with it. maybe google videos of them screaming and talking, calculate the cost of their pellet and chop. get as prepped as possible and if you do end up getting it be sure to show us!! i’m a sucker for greys

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
In a different vein, I'd be careful about spending money on an African Grey on CL without seeing the bird in person. The price of greys has doubled, or more, in the last few years, and there are a lot scams.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
One thing that hasn't been mentioned yet, not explicitly at least, is simply fulfillment time.

Unless you get lucky finding everything you need from inventory at a local shop, I would set aside at least a month to place orders and have everything shipped to you, assembled, and configured. The last cage I ordered from King's Cages was placed on September 22, and received October 16, for example (and that required me to make some concessions, because they were out of stock on my 1st choice).

That suggestion, is valid if you know exactly what to order on day-zero, and doesn't include the research you'll need to do if you're starting with knowledge-zero.

With a bird, you need the setup to be at least 80% complete before you get the bird home. There's no making do with spare blankets, a neighbour's spare crate, or grocery store food, as you might with a new dog.