• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What veggies do your birds like the most?

kifird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Jeremy
Hi, I've been looking up and around over the inter webs for good recipes for chop, and veggies to feed to my two wonderful budgies. Nua's favorite is bok choy, and the baby's is also bok choy. I've been trying to diversify their veggie diet other than bok choy and my mother's money tree. What do your birds like the most, and what type of veggies would you recommend for smaller birds like budgies?

Can't wait to see what your birds like the most :D

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Broccoli florets
Sweet peas
Sweet potato
These are the favorites that I've noticed. Of course, Java gets a wider variety, but I notice he isn't too interested in leafy greens. Thankfully, if everything is chopped fine enough, he'll eat it.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
My cockatiel loved all types of lettuce- boston, bibb, romaine, etc. He also loved broccoli. Elvis, my cockatoo's favorite is definitely zucchini/squash.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sweet potato, snow peas, steamed cauliflower, butternut squash, mustard greens, and turnip are the veggie faves in my flock. :D

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Max83

Walking the driveway
cockatiels and african grey: lettuce, carrots, peas, basil

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Birds are so unique--I'm amazed how clear Waffle is with her preferences.
For instance, she LOVES peppers. Every color of the rainbow, the more the better! Of course, the orange and red peppers turn her poop an alarming color. :eek:
She also loves bok choy and kale and broccoli or broccolini. Which is great, because those are nutritional powerhouses!
And she LOVES carrots--any size or shape. Shredded, straight up, baby...doesn't matter.
She has zero interest in spinach which is fine b/c it's not supposed to be an every day food anyway. She'll enjoy cucumber or zucchini but they are not her favorites.
We haven't tried sweet potato yet because Mommy has been too lazy to cook it. :p

Vera

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Vera
My parrotlets favorits are broccoli and carrot.
She will also eat green beans, zuchini, brussel sprouts, cauliflower and chili pepper.
When she can choose she will go for the broccoli and or carrot.

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
My guys shred lettuce leaves and broccoli florets.
I really don't know if they actually eat any of it, however.
Those have to be secured to the side of the cage, so they hang. Anything chopped in a bowl seems to get ignored.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I have never known a budgie to not like broccoli. Sometimes it the way you present the veggies. If I chop broccoli they will not eat as much but If I hang it on a skewer in the cage they devour it. The leaves are the most nutritious part. Next if I give Mickey a long, fresh carrot between the bars of the cage she eats it as if it were millet. However she gets a very orange beard!

My two are not so keen on a bowl of chopped veggies and I hazard a guess it is because the taste of the veggies gets all mixed together. Just like when we fill a plate from a salad bar and end up overloading our taste buds. I prefer now to hang veggies in a bag clip or put on a skewer, keeping it simple.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Zane loved potatoes, corn, carrots, peas and squash. Echo on the other hand really likes corn on the cob, is something ok with potatoes but for the most part he's pretty picky

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I stopped feeding any fresh corn because the outside of each kernel is a tough casing that can be hard to digest in a small budgie crop. Thus leading to AGY. No more incidents of yeast since I stopped. My avian vet agrees with my theory. May not happen with the larger birds.

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Broccoli was the first vegetable my birds ever tried and like. They love it finely chopped. They also love sweet potato, carrots, romaine lettuce, parsley, mustard greens, peas, cauliflower, spinach, and occasionally corn.

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
That is one smart bird to skin a corn kernel.
Zane use skin grapes and didn't like skin peals of many fruits and vegetables. So I didn't think much of Echo skinning a corn kernel. But now I'm glad he does it :)