• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What type of Ringneck no i have here?

Topher22

Moving in
Real Name
Kris Schrantz
I rehomed this Bird thinking it was getting a Indian ringneck...but from the beak color i think he may be an african? After doing a little research i found that blue Africans are very rare, my question is he african or maybe a mix and can i breed him with my Indian ringneck when he matures?

Attachments

BirdLady13

Sprinting down the street
I don't know what a "blue African" is, but I believe this is either a female Indian Ringneck Parakeet, or a young (under 1.5 years old) male Indian Ringneck Parakeet. Blue is a common color mutation.
I never recommend someone breeding their pet birds. Do you have enough dedication, money, and time for the commitment? Do you have the proper knowledge on breeding and the particular species?

Topher22

Moving in
Real Name
Kris Schrantz
I don't know what a "blue African" is, but I believe this is either a female Indian Ringneck Parakeet, or a young (under 1.5 years old) male Indian Ringneck Parakeet. Blue is a common color mutation.
I never recommend someone breeding their pet birds. Do you have enough dedication, money, and time for the commitment? Do you have the proper knowledge on breeding and the particular species?
I have a bonded pair i breed every year...i have a hand tamed hen that is 3 years old now from my hreeders...doesnt take a lot of time or money so i dont know what that means....it does take dedication. The blue ringneck is about 14 months old now maybe a little more. My question is if he is an African because his beak is more plum colored than red

Gokha

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Gaukharay
Looks like a typical IRN to me. My Zazu is IRN, but for some reason his beak is not red, it’s pink :) so I believe beak color variations do happen.
Edit: what’s the weight of this bird? And the size? African ringnecks are smaller in size

Topher22

Moving in
Real Name
Kris Schrantz
Looks like a typical IRN to me. My Zazu is IRN, but for some reason his beak is not red, it’s pink :) so I believe beak color variations do happen
Most research i do say irn can have light to dark red...my blue Ringneck is more plum....but Blue Africans are extremely rare so i have read. Once he is mature and gets his ring i will know for sure...i just dont want to wast time trying to bond them if he is African because my hen is irn

Topher22

Moving in
Real Name
Kris Schrantz
His beak is a little more plum than the puc shows

Topher22

Moving in
Real Name
Kris Schrantz
Looks like a typical IRN to me. My Zazu is IRN, but for some reason his beak is not red, it’s pink :) so I believe beak color variations do happen.
Edit: what’s the weight of this bird? And the size? African ringnecks are smaller in size
He is still young but he is a little smaller....

hurriparsa

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Dhanraj
I rehomed this Bird thinking it was getting a Indian ringneck...but from the beak color i think he may be an african? After doing a little research i found that blue Africans are very rare, my question is he african or maybe a mix and can i breed him with my Indian ringneck when he matures?
The attached picture you are querying is an Indian Ringneck

alshgs

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
That's a typical IRN

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Yours is an Indian Ringneck. Here's an image that shows the difference between African and Indian Ringnecks - note that it's not just the colour, but also the shape/size of the beak.