• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What type of Ringneck do i have

Topher22

Moving in
Real Name
Kris Schrantz
I rehomed this Bird thinking it was getting a Indian ringneck...but from the beak color i think he may be an african? After doing a little research i found that blue Africans are very rare, my question is he african or maybe a mix and can i breed him with my Indian ringneck when he matures?

Attachments

Reactions: Ali

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Most here frown on intentionally creating hybrids.
Not to say it's not done, but often times the food requirement, and needs of each species can lead to trouble when reproducing.
I'm not really sure whether 2 different ringnecks is considered hybrid, but I'm guessing it would be.

Reactions: Ali

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
I rehomed this Bird thinking it was getting a Indian ringneck...but from the beak color i think he may be an african? After doing a little research i found that blue Africans are very rare, my question is he african or maybe a mix and can i breed him with my Indian ringneck when he matures?
Looks like a normal blue ringneck to me.

Topher22

Moving in
Real Name
Kris Schrantz
Not to say it's not done, but often times the food requirement, and needs of each species can lead to trouble when reproducing.
I'm not really sure whether 2 different ringnecks is considered hybrid, but I'm guessing it would be.
I may have
Looks like a normal blue ringneck to me.
Indian? The beak color is more plum than red...i am hoping it is indian ringneck not african. My female is lutino indian ringneck. I was hoping to breed her with the Blue in the picture?

Mantis64

I may have

Indian? The beak color is more plum than red...i am hoping it is indian ringneck not african. My female is lutino indian ringneck. I was hoping to breed her with the Blue in the picture?
Yes I meant a Indian mine looks just like that Africans tend to be a bit smaller. Are you sure it's a male.

Topher22

Moving in
Real Name
Kris Schrantz
If the blue is and african woul
Yes I meant a Indian mine looks just like that Africans tend to be a bit smaller. Are you sure it's a male.
Yes he is young...just at 13 months

Mantis64

If the blue is and african woul

Yes he is young...just at 13 months
I'm guessing he is dna sexed then. I wouldn't try to breed ringnecks are very aggressive and it's not uncommon for females to kill the males.

Mantis64

Does this bird have a ring that could help as you could contact the breeder to find out if it's an Indian or african ringneck.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Indian ringneck.

Indian's and African's are the same species, different subspecies.

Topher22

Moving in
Real Name
Kris Schrantz
I'm guessing he is dna sexed then. I wouldn't try to breed ringnecks are very aggressive and it's not uncommon for females to kill the males.
I have a bonded pair i breed already. My female lutino is one of the babies i hand tamed. She is now 3 years old. I figured the blue male
Does this bird have a ring that could help as you could contact the breeder to find out if it's an Indian or african ringneck.
Slight ring just starting. Once the ring is distinct i can tell for sure. Male africans have a more dark and defined ring i have read. Just wanted to make sure i am not wasting my time if he is African
Indian ringneck.

Indian's and African's are the same species, different subspecies.
So they can be breed together?

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
We already have hybrids between them. One breeder in California is specifically mixing ARN and IRN to try and get longer tails in IRN. (don't know if he has gotten any offspring from that pairing though)

I don't recommend hybridizing them, but we already have many hybrids, including on a subspecies level. Most green cheek conures are hybrids. Many, if not all, senegal parrots are also hybrids. We have several hybrid eclectus parrots, who knows how many hybrid african greys. (hybrids may look more congo than timneh)

Psittacula specifically... this page has an example of hybrids already created. (alex x IRN hybrids are common in Australia)