• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What type of bird?

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I've had my heart set on a GCC, but I would like to leave all options open, so here is some specification's.

I want one that is medium sized or smaller, I can't get any large parrots yet, just smallish ones. Like a conure may be the biggest. I want one that will live fairly long. I would like one that will appreciate affection, anything cuddly would be great, but I know most birds aren't. Quieter the better, but occasionally screeching is OK, I don't personally mind, but my family might.

Biting is OK, as I will be the only one handling the bird, and I don't mind. Colors don't really matter to me. Talking ability would be cool, but I don't really care either way. I would love to be able to teach it tricks! I want something lively, and something that will entertain me! Also, I want to have a loving relationship with it. Like, a really good friendship, where I care about them (I will no matter what lol) and they love me (less likely, but we will see!)

I'm open to any idea's you guys have! I'm excited to see what you guys come up with! You can give multiple idea's too, cause then I could research them all then when I go to a rescue I will have a variety to choose from. Thank you!

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
Honestly, we could throw suggestions at you for days, but none of them will stick if you can't find the individual bird that you bond with.

For medium-small parrots, I am partial to Quakers. Not always cuddly, but absolutely brimming personality and sass. There is nothing I love more than tucking my Quaker in at night and having him say, "Bye-bye, I love you!" Of course, I'm biased because a Quaker was my first bird and I absolutely gush over them. Once you get over their quirks - cage aggression, etc., - and know to read their body language, they're fantastic little birds.

pawprintedheart

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Valerie
I can only give you my experience with my two GCCs. Neither of mine are very cuddly. They'll fly over and hang with me, and preen my hair, but they're not huge fans of me giving them head scritches (they have each other for that). They are incredibly lively little guys, always up to something. :embarassed: Mine love to clicker train. Because they're so active, cuddling with me isn't very interesting unless they're settling down. Mine love to explore, climb over anything...last night they discovered the clock hangs off the wall and were fascinated by the small opening between it and the wall. Honey has discovered what fun it is to play with her morning chop dish after it's empty, and pushes it all over the bottom of the cage and flings it around. Endlessly amusing between the two of them. They love me, they want to explore with me and will seek me out when they want to chill, but I've made sure I'm not the only thing in their world (they have each other), but the relationship they have with me is more like a close friendship, versus the mate-bond they have between each other (which I personally prefer because I work full time and also have other animals).

They are nippy little things if you're not good with their body language (which I admit, I was a slow learner and it took me a longggg time to figure out they didn't want my snuggles). Both of mine talk--not incredibly well, and not a huge vocab, but they do have their sayings. (With me, baby, whatcha doing, baby with you, "Braeburn" - my male's name)...

My female is very quiet, my male is a screamer. I doubt its a gender thing, more of a personality thing. He's a bit more easily spooked and a lot less confident. If he doesn't feel he can fly to something or do something, he'll let you know. And he'll be loud about it until you figure it out.

But I love them both dearly and I can't imagine two better birds to have. I would say if your heart is set on a GCC go meet some, see who you click with.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels are wonderful birds. I recently fostered a canary-winged parakeet and really adored him, although they're not as easy to find, at least around here. Parrotlets are really fun little birds with big personalities. I don't have any conure experience, but conures are good options too.

AutumnRain

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Kelsey
There are so many species of parrots that are wonderful options. A female cockatiel is one of them. They're all individuals, of course, but the females tend to be more affectionate and quiet than the males are. They also tend to be more mellow, although I seem to have gotten one of the less mellow female tiels so it's definitely possible to find a lively one like you're looking for. She's a little busy bee pretty much all day long. I feel like I have a toddler because I'm constantly supervising her and interacting with her whenever she's out, which is a lot. I love it, but it can be tiring sometimes because it's almost non-stop with her. :)

I think going and meeting adult parrots would be a good idea to help you find one with a noise level, personality, and activity level that's right for you and your family. Keep in mind that if the bird isn't on the best diet, like an all seed diet, that can definitely make them less active than a healthy diet will. So, if you take a bird like that home and start feeding them a healthier diet with pellets and fruits and vegetables, you will likely see their energy increase somewhat. That definitely happened with my tiel. I wish you the best with finding the right bird for you!

Last edited:

Kodigirl210

My GCCs are so different in that respect. They loved to be cuddled. They love sitting on you and hanging out. Every night I put our youngest, Pippin, to sleep by holding her against my chest, rubbing her head and cheek and singing lullabies to her. She adores sleeping under the covers when she can sneak it but is absolutely okay sleeping in her tent. Isen usually has to be planted on someone to see what’s going on and what’s going to go on. She’ll hang off the front of my shirt as I do laundry or vacuum and perch on my head if she really wants a good luck around. Both girls love to play and are amusing to watch. We may be heading for our 3rd in a few months. We’ll find out in the next couple of weeks. :)

TinyFeathers

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Thank you everyone! Really helpful. I'm going to look into some more about these breeds, like cockatiels, Quakers, Canary winged parrakeets, and parrotlets. I will continue to look into GCCs as well! In the end, I will probably just go visit a rescue, and pick one out, but at least then I will know what kind of care is needed for all of these, so I can limit myself to certain birds.

PburghsMom

Meeting neighbors
Thank you everyone! Really helpful. I'm going to look into some more about these breeds, like cockatiels, Quakers, Canary winged parrakeets, and parrotlets. I will continue to look into GCCs as well! In the end, I will probably just go visit a rescue, and pick one out, but at least then I will know what kind of care is needed for all of these, so I can limit myself to certain birds.
Hi. Did you ever decide on and get a bird?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Always good to stay with the species for the flocks sake but a tiel could tick alot of your wants. Still cuddly in a bird is hit n miss. They can grow out of cuddles too...Still tiels seem to very mild go with the flow birds...Crimson belly conures are a bit more laid back...well my Rio is anyway...