• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What type is my lovebird?

Vogeln

Meeting neighbors
Hi I'm a new member here

I have a 2 months old lovebird baby. I'm curious on what type of lovebird he is. Is he a peach-faced or fischer lovebird? Is he a lutino because he got red eyes? Is he an opaline? And will he change color later on when he reached adulthood? Is there any way other than DNA sexing to know if he is a male or female?

I attached some photo of him. His name is Sunshine because he is yellow and he brightens my day

Thanks for the help ❤

Attachments

MiniMacaw

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lisa
I have no idea of his mutation, but I’m sure someone more knowledgeable in lovies will come along soon.
I just wanted to say Sunshine is adorable. :rolleyes:

Nerine

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nerine
I believe he is an opaline lutino peach faced lovebird; he looks so sweet! If I guessed his mutation correctly, his head and neck area will be much darker when he is an adult, but his general body color will remain yellow. The only way to be 100% of his gender to get a DNA test done or wait until he(she) lays an egg.

Vogeln

Meeting neighbors
I believe he is an opaline lutino peach faced lovebird; he looks so sweet! If I guessed his mutation correctly, his head and neck area will be much darker when he is an adult, but his general body color will remain yellow. The only way to be 100% of his gender to get a DNA test done or wait until he(she) lays an egg.
Thank you ❤

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Nerine is correct. You can tell that he/she is an opaline by the scattered red feathers on the head and neck. As for gender, do you know what the parents look like? It is almost certain that you have a female as both lutino and opaline are sex-linked mutations. That means that it is much easier to be passed on to a female than a male as females only need to receive one copy of the gene, while males need two copies.

Vogeln

Meeting neighbors
Nerine is correct. You can tell that he/she is an opaline by the scattered red feathers on the head and neck. As for gender, do you know what the parents look like? It is almost certain that you have a female as both lutino and opaline are sex-linked mutations. That means that it is much easier to be passed on to a female than a male as females only need to receive one copy of the gene, while males need two copies.
This is a photo of the parents... the father is the orange head... hope this helps

Attachments

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
As both parents are visually lutino, that can not be used to help you tell. Do you have a picture of the parents' heads that would show which, if either, is opaline?

Vogeln

Meeting neighbors
As both parents are visually lutino, that can not be used to help you tell. Do you have a picture of the parents' heads that would show which, if either, is opaline?
Unfortunaly that is the only photo of the parents I got from the seller. :(
But I think both of the parents are opaline too..

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
If both parents are opaline, then there is a 50/50 chance of your bird being male or female.