• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What To Try First?

Status
Not open for further replies.

whitdenise4

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Whitney
I've been looking over the Goldenfeast Mixes but there are SO MANY! lol. :D I was just wondering if anyone has tried it out with their fid? If so what did they seem to like? I'm having semi- success with Roo (budgie) trying new food... so I was just going to try to add something new. Thanks in advance!

Oh P.S.: I'd like to have one of the mixes with dried veggies and fruit or something special to help get Roo interested in fruits and veggies. :)

(If they didn't seem to like it what did you find that worked?)

Thanks,
Whitney

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Hi Whitney :) I'm not sure if you are concerned about sulfates in foods at all, but Goldenfeast's "Gourmet" lines (like Australian Blend, Asian Medley, Gardenflora, etc.) all contain sulfur dioxide as a preservative on their fruits. That's why I like their "Basics Plus" line the best. They are completely free of preservatives. If you don't mind the sulfur, then I know a lot of people that like the Asian Medley (it needs to be cooked), as well as the Australian Blend.

whitdenise4

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Whitney
Hi Coco!:greet13:

I had never even heard of that before!! I'm glad you brought it to my attention..I had to google it.

So I found a parrot site that explained that it could shorten your bird's life? (not sure if I read it right) But if this is so, wouldn't it be harming us humans too? Might need someone to clairify that for me. :o:

Thanks! I'll have to look at the Basics Plus! :)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think Rockoko *cooks* :pGoldenfeast stuff for her gang. I'll direct her to this thread!!:dance4:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Hi Coco!:greet13:

I had never even heard of that before!! I'm glad you brought it to my attention..I had to google it.

So I found a parrot site that explained that it could shorten your bird's life? (not sure if I read it right) But if this is so, wouldn't it be harming us humans too? Might need someone to clairify that for me. :o:

Thanks! I'll have to look at the Basics Plus! :)
It is rated as a human grade preservative, but being that parrots seem to be so much more sensitive to them than humans, a lot of people opt not to feed anything with sulfates on them to their birds. I know of at least one person with a parrot who is allergic to sulfates. Personally I try not to feed sulfates to myself or my parrots :o:

whitdenise4

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Whitney
Saemma- I'd love to see what others think! Thanks!

Coco-
Oh! That make sense! I too will also try to steer clear of it. I don't want to risk Roo getting sick or even risking his life! Thanks again!:hug8:

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
You're very welcome :)

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I think Rockoko *cooks* :pGoldenfeast stuff for her gang. I'll direct her to this thread!!:dance4:

It is rated as a human grade preservative, but being that parrots seem to be so much more sensitive to them than humans, a lot of people opt not to feed anything with sulfates on them to their birds. I know of at least one person with a parrot who is allergic to sulfates. Personally I try not to feed sulfates to myself or my parrots :o:
I recently bought a "no sulfur" fruit mix from Avian Naturals that mine seem to like so far :dance4:

Avian Naturals and All Bird Toys nutritious healthy organic natural parrot food parrot supply treats gifts parts

whitdenise4

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Whitney
Thanks Martine! :)

I'll have to get some of that sometime! I'm sure the cockatiel mix would be good for a budgie? right? :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.