• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to look for in a vendor and/or breeder

QB1rd

Jogging around the block
I didn't see this topic anywhere else, so I apologize if this is the wrong place for this.

I'll be going to a Bird Expo soon. Is this a good place to get a bird, or should I avoid purchasing at an expo? If an expo is okay, what should I look for in a vendor and/or breeder at an expo?

Otherwise, what should I look for in a breeder? The last time I purchased from a breeder I was taken advantage of and I ended up with a disabled bird (who I loved dearly, but had a lot of problems).

Thank you.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
It really depends on the bird Expo. Can you find out in advance what breeders will be there and do research on them before you go? And I am always leery of a breeder that will sell unweaned babies.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I bought a bird 24 years ago at a bird fair - I would not do it today. PDD has become almost epidemic today and not you nor anyone else wants a bird with PDD or even wit ABV. These are not the only diseases that can be rampant at bird shows.

If you are looking for a baby, I recommend a breeder or a reputable bird store. I really and truly recommend a mature bird and those can come from rescues.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I bought a bird 24 years ago at a bird fair - I would not do it today. PDD has become almost epidemic today and not you nor anyone else wants a bird with PDD or even wit ABV. These are not the only diseases that can be rampant at bird shows.

If you are looking for a baby, I recommend a breeder or a reputable bird store. I really and truly recommend a mature bird and those can come from rescues.
I often take one or another of my birds out in a backpack so they can get some fresh air and a change of scenery. If I were going to a bird show, I would not bring them along, for fear of infectious diseases. This is exactly the same reason I wouldn't purchase a bird from said bird show. Even if the bird is perfectly healthy at the time of purchase, it could pick something up at the event and become ill after the fact. It's a shame, because I love the IDEA of a bird show. Go and see all kinds of beautiful, well-kept birds? Yes please!

In practice, though, birds are so delicate, and their communicable diseases are so devastating... it's a tragedy waiting to happen.

QB1rd

Jogging around the block

Thank you. I hadn't thought about this. I've been looking at rescues as well as breeders.

I often take one or another of my birds out in a backpack so they can get some fresh air and a change of scenery. If I were going to a bird show, I would not bring them along, for fear of infectious diseases. This is exactly the same reason I wouldn't purchase a bird from said bird show. Even if the bird is perfectly healthy at the time of purchase, it could pick something up at the event and become ill after the fact. It's a shame, because I love the IDEA of a bird show. Go and see all kinds of beautiful, well-kept birds? Yes please!

In practice, though, birds are so delicate, and their communicable diseases are so devastating... it's a tragedy waiting to happen.
I'm glad @Hankmacaw said something about diseases. I hadn't even thought about how a show could be a health disaster. I'll go to look at the beautiful birds and maybe see if I can pick up some toys or make contacts.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There isn’t a living items vendor I’d trust with a 10 foot pole at a bird show. Conglomerates like shows/expos are a good way to pick up every single germ/bug/nasty possible!

Non live vendors? Absolutely. It’s a great way to buy heavy or bulky items. If the Vendor is east coast, but say they’re going to an Expo in Vegas? Cool- bring my order with you in your trailer! Save me $200 in UPS and I’ll trailer it home to my state. Plus, expos and shows are a good way for vendors to sell a lot of inventory, and many vendors will have special pricing because of this- they pass the discount on to the consumer

And there are some really good Vendors who bring along their personal birds to shows- that’s their prerogative. They have to pay the vet bills if their birds pick up anything or get sick from traveling stress.

But expos are very different from brick and mortar store fronts in that you cannot control who/what comes in the front door. A really good bird breeder or pet store might have the best “we reserve the right to refuse service to anyone/thing that we feel might be unsafe for our birds” but that goes out the window at an expo-anyone who pays the $ for your wristband is allowed in. So breeders who bring baby birds to an expo are potentially exposing their babies to a torrent of germs/bugs/nasties from people who may be clueless.

There are reputable breeders who often will transport babies they’re selling to the parking lot of an expo for someone who has arranged prior to pick it up- that’s certainly better than it being inside.

I always think about newborn babies whenever it’s a question about a bird. Would you do it to a just born today infant? If you wouldn’t feel comfortable taking a just born hours ago that morning infant human baby into an expo- then baby birds don’t belong there either.