• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to feed superb parrot (Barraband parakeet)

ls2013

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
marie
I have 2 Barraband parakeets (superb parrots) Just looking for advice on what to feed them. They get versele laga prestige seed mix, harrisons pellets (they don't always eat alot of these) tidymix parakeet mix (also don't eat alot of these and struggle with the bigger seeds, nuts etc) Recently started giving sprout mix occasionally, which includes - Mung Beans, Adzuki beans, Chickpeas, Beluga Lentils, Green Lentils or I will soak their seed mix overnight just to make them a little softer. They also get quinoa, kale, broccoli, mint, coriander, dill and occasionally will eat carrots...this is all the veg that they will eat.
Not really sure what can be fed daily or what should only be given as a treat..?? Since giving them sprouts for the first time, they aren't really interested in their dry seed. What can I sprout to feed every morning for them..?? Does everything just need soaked for 8 hours..?? How many days of rinsing until I can start to feed the sprouts..?? What dry seed mix could I try that they might prefer..?? 276170448_3199157590368648_2719392966625692899_n.jpg 288677711_3274673042817102_5829974332693357304_n.jpg 288938370_3274673009483772_8258875810921122713_n.jpg 288960832_3274672899483783_7432543205069377425_n.jpg 289085057_3274672902817116_8550194526073852274_n.jpg 299699353_3318650065086066_2343907663554504548_n.jpg

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Very beautiful birds.
Sorry I know nothing of their care but this reply will bump your thread so hopefully someone else will be able to help :)

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
I only have information on sprouting, but do want to say your birds are beautiful, I don't know I've ever seen those before.

Seeds can be served after soaking for at least 8 hours. By then they have started conversion of nutrients into a form that is more available and digestible. You can also drain and give them another 12-24 hours "dry" with rinses to grow a short root tail. I have a 2-day turnaround how I do it, using 2 sprouters to have fresh sprouts with a bit of tail.

Soaked or sprouts are better for your bird than dry seed with less fat and more nutrition.
Beware soaking their seed mix. It is not treated as seeds for sprouting are required to be and may have bacteria and also may have additives like vitamins that are not compatible with soaking.

I would recommend looking at the seed sprouting mixes at TOP's Parrot Food Pellets and Seeds; USDA Organic Certified, China Prairie Products, and Critter Sprouts - Seeds | Sproutpeople
These companies all have good quality products and information.

Jogging around the block
I agree with the above about sprouting. If your birds will only eat sprouted seeds, there is nothing wrong with that.
If you would like to try get them eating more dry seeds, I would say to try a 'simple' seed mix. Just smaller seeds like millet, sunflower, safflower, ect and no large nuts or dried fruits/herbs, or small coloured pellets, and I generally prefer it unfortified too. Pellets are a quite important part of their diet, so if you can keep them eating a decent amount of them that is good. Unsoaked unsprouted seeds are good to give to them but only in small amounts. It sounds like they are getting a good variety and amount of veggies, the more variety the better though. I am not familiar of if Barrands are big fruit eaters, but you could try offering them some. If they don't eat it that is fine, and if they do eat it it is kind of like seed to be only fed in small amounts because of the sugar.
Beautiful birds, and it looks like you are already doing an amazing job of caring for them!

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Beautiful :)

ls2013

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
marie
Thanks. This is the seed mix they get dry and soaked/sprouted.
Ingredients
Yellow millet (32%), red millet (10%), canary seed (9%), hulled oats (9%), striped sunflower seeds (6%), wheat (5%), safflower (5%), white millet (4%), rapeseed (4%), hemp seed (4%), white sunflower seeds (3%), linseed (3%), paddy rice (2.5%), shelled peanuts (1.5%), niger seed (1%) and Japanese millet (1%).
I have started rinsing with a small amount of apple cider vinegar so I'm hoping that lessens the risk of bacteria. Up until a few months ago, the only veg they would eat was grated carrots but they love their greens now but barely touch carrots anymore. Have tried them with so many fruits and they maybe pick at something once but mostly don't even go near it. They won't even go near their bowls if there are blueberries in it haha I do still try occassionaly with some fruits. Just ordered alot of sprouting seeds, grains and legumes from wholefoods today so can't wait to see what they like or not.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gorgeous birds! I don't think anyone else here has that species. :)

kamielle

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Kam
Hi,
We have a barraband. They are amazing birds. Yoshi is like a human, he is nearly 5 months old. We give him a seed mix at night while he's dozing off. He eats that in the morning. Then at about 8am we give him pellets with a mix of either sprouts, broccoli, cucumber, spinach, carrots, peppers all colours, carrots, sweetcorn. I cut this into small bits and a few big chunks as he likes to hold it and saves it dropping through grate at bottom if he drops it.

He enjoys all of them so he has a mixture of 3/4 of them each day with his pellets. He has some fruit twice a week but prefers veg. Wen the pellets are gone I give him more seed. Its just a small parrot mix with usual stuff in, hes terrified of monkey nuts with the bigger parrot mix ha! He won't eat anything sprouted.

He also likes a piece of pasta now and again doesn't matter if its cooked or dry.

Your parrots sound and look like they are being fed perfectly. This shows in the beautiful feathers on them. Fab!

Hope this helps even though he'd still quite young. He's starting to molt so will get his new colours soon I think. 20220913_182135.jpg