• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to feed...fear the seed???

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Hi, we just brought home two Linnie's from the pet story a week ago today. The pet store told me they were eating seed mixed with pellets...though it is very clear that any pellet consumption must have been by mistake . Anyhow, all my research leads me to believe that a seed diet will lead to their sure demise, but they would seem to rather starve than eat pellets.

Also, the pet store told me they need spray millet in their cage at all times. Is this true, because I don't see how we're ever going to get off the seed if that's the case?

Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Animallover03

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Audrey
:welcome2:
An All seed diet is bad for them in the long run- but offering a little seed is good for them. You will have to introduce pellets to them slowly. Pretend to eat them, this may encourage them to try it. Also adding them to the seed mix might work- they may then recognize it as food. They won't accidentally eat a pellet though.
Another option would be using pellets in birdie bread or chop. I usually do- and if they don't eat pellets it is a good way to get at least a little bit in them. Nutri berries are also a great way for converting them, plus most birds love nutriberries. One last way is to soak the pellets in water or juice (make sure no sugar is added) and offer that.
So basically you want to offer seeds, pellets, and chop or fresh fruits/veggies daily.

No. You don't have to give millet. Millet is optional- but it is a healthier treat. If I had it in Grumbles's cage at all times he would only eat that and nothing else. It is a great treat- and I occasionally offer it. :)

Good luck! (And P.S.- we love pictures!)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

Holly O

Meeting neighbors
Start here. This is how we feed our parrots.

Feeding Our Parrots Well
Thank you so much! Today I've been making fresh fruit/veg, nut, grain, seed and pellet mixes. They race over to their dish and eat for literally an hour! Honestly Buttercup wiped out he/she was in such a hurry! And they are actually eating the fresh stuff and pellets, not just picking out the seeds and leaving the rest. I'm just so impressed since they are only a week out of the pet shop.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Thank you so much! Today I've been making fresh fruit/veg, nut, grain, seed and pellet mixes. They race over to their dish and eat for literally an hour! Honestly Buttercup wiped out he/she was in such a hurry! And they are actually eating the fresh stuff and pellets, not just picking out the seeds and leaving the rest. I'm just so impressed since they are only a week out of the pet shop.
Outstanding. :)