• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to do???

Status
Not open for further replies.

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
I have 2 Alex's. Love em to death...but, every once in a while, they get their toes pinched in the wood they chew, start scrawking and although, so far, they have managed to get the wood off, I am more concerned when I am not home. They are prolific chewers, so need wood all the time. Any ideas to prevent or at least reduce the episodes?

Thanks

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
What kind of wood are you giving them and how is it cut?

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
I'm giving them spruce/pine that is cut into rectangles with a hole driilled in the middle. 2 1/2 inches long by 1 1/2 wide by 1/2 or 3/4 inch high. I string them on a chain. They like to turn the wood over with their foot as they chew to get the best piece off. I think it happens when they don't get the whole chunk off and they try to reposition. I was trying oak, but I read it wasn't good for them and they also didn't like it.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
I am wondering if Balsa wood would be better... or perhaps giving them yucca.. They will certainly go through it quicker, but will hopefully be safer.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I'm still having a bit of trouble picturing just how they get their foot stuck. If the wood is too long "with" the grain instead across the grain I can see it.

This is also spruce and how I cut my blocks. It's just 2x4s cross cut 1/2 inch to about 1 inch think. They snap them like crazy. The pieces always snap off clean.

When I said they snap them like crazy I wasn't kidding.

Last edited:

dragonlady2

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Helena
I think you have hit on it John. My Husband always cuts it with the grain. When they chew it it's like they are eating corn on the cob. They go back and forth along the wood until that long piece is off and then they start again. Sometimes they hit a little knot and the wood does not come off cleanly, that's when they start turning it around with their beak and foot. My husband's going to complain, but I'll get him to start cutting the wood crossgrain. It takes them longer to chew it this way, but that's a good thing. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.