• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to do to make Peelu trust more?

ParrotNuts

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Atharv
So Peelu is hand trained but the problem is that she doesn't trust us very much. Whether she is outside the cage (4 hours a day) she will go and sit on the curtain rail or on the windowsill. She isn't afraid of hands because she loves nibbling on them and will happily hop on to them when she is inside the cage (or the occasional out of cage of one) . Also we can spend time close to her and give food and things to play with to her without her flying away, but whenever we put our hand close to her she will either start nibbling or fly away. I am fine with her being a bit shy but the problem is that I used to have a very nice relationship with Neelu but since they are bonded Neelu flies away to her, so the only time I can properly spend time with him is when Peelu is in the cage. :(

Any ideas on how to get Peelu to trust us more? :fingerscrossed:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You could grow some feathers and a beak. That might make you more attractive. :lol:

Seriously. Sounds like your bird is very happy and does trust you guys as far "humans" can be trusted. This "want" is yours, not the bird's. If you want a better relationship with "both" of them then you have to work on that together. You are the third wheel in this relationship. Accept that.

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
Seriously. Sounds like your bird is very happy and does trust you guys as far "humans" can be trusted. This "want" is yours, not the bird's. If you want a better relationship with "both" of them then you have to work on that together. You are the third wheel in this relationship. Accept that.
Okay, fine. Thanks :)
You could grow some feathers and a beak. That might make you more attractive. :lol:
Hmmm, :chin: will look into imping when I go to the vet's next :lolsign:

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
My budgie Parker is kinda like that. Fairly handle-able with treats, but not interested otherwise. I've found that playing games, teaching them tricks, and flight training/exercise can be a lot of fun for all parties. Also, holding Mark will result in Parker landing on me. It is also fun to spend time with them partially separate. I take their cage to the bathroom, and Mark has a shower with me. I leave Mark on a stand, and have flying practice with Parker.:)

ParrotNuts

Real Name
Atharv
My budgie Parker is kinda like that. Fairly handle-able with treats, but not interested otherwise. I've found that playing games, teaching them tricks, and flight training/exercise can be a lot of fun for all parties. Also, holding Mark will result in Parker landing on me. It is also fun to spend time with them partially separate. I take their cage to the bathroom, and Mark has a shower with me. I leave Mark on a stand, and have flying practice with Parker.:)
Oh, thanks. I really think Peelu would prefer a treat dispenser instead of me :ohdrama:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
It is important for us humans to know and understand we need to earn our birds trust. It is not automatic.