• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What to do if your bird lays eggs.

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
I have a cockatiel who I think is going to have eggs soon but I'm not 100% sure. If she does. I dunno what to do. I am planning to take care of the baby parrots but don't exactly know how to hand feed them! Anyone have info for me?

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
How many birds do you have?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
but don't exactly know how to hand feed them!
If you don´t know what you´re doing RE baby parrots, then don´t. And I don´t mean, don´t ever breed. I just mean, there´s no rush. Just because you might get an egg soon, it doesn´t mean you have to breed now. You can boil those eggs she lays, put them back where you found them, let her sit on them up to but no more than 3 weeks before removing them.

If breeding is something you aim to do, then research, read, find a local breeder and ask if you can visit and learn, speak with your vet. There´s so much to learn before breeding. Learn as much as you can, then ask questions to learn the things you´re unsure about.
Handfeeding should be learned in person, so you would need a breeder or a vet to show you how to do that.

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
If you don´t know what you´re doing RE baby parrots, then don´t. And I don´t mean, don´t ever breed. I just mean, there´s no rush. Just because you might get an egg soon, it doesn´t mean you have to breed now. You can boil those eggs she lays, put them back where you found them, let her sit on them up to but no more than 3 weeks before removing them.

If breeding is something you aim to do, then research, read, find a local breeder and ask if you can visit and learn, speak with your vet. There´s so much to learn before breeding. Learn as much as you can, then ask questions to learn the things you´re unsure about.
Handfeeding should be learned in person, so you would need a breeder or a vet to show you how to do that.

Ok! How long to boil though?

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Don't even consider breeding just yet if you haven't been taught to hand rear chicks. It's hard work and quite tricky. Breeding is a thing to be completely prepared for before the eggs, not to learn everything along the way.

If you still want to in the future, this site is super helpful. Less Is More Handfeeding & weaning Cockatiels

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
I also just realized you posted a thread a little while ago about how your cockatiel is on a seed diet, Definitely bad for a breeding bird. She needs a complete diet to stay healthy throughout the egg laying and chick raising.

Edit: I also recommend waiting until her wings grow back, you want her to be in the best shape before she lays.

Last edited:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Ok! How long to boil though?
Just a few minutes will be ok. The eggs are very small. Allow to cool down before putting them back, double check because sometimes they are still hot inside.

BirbBrain

Walking the driveway
I also just realized you posted a thread a little while ago about how your cockatiel is on a seed diet, Definitely bad for a breeding bird. She needs a complete diet to stay healthy throughout the egg laying and chick raising.

Edit: I also recommend waiting until her wings grow back, you want her to be in the best shape before she lays.
Ok!