• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

what to do if ringneck does not trust you at all

zp1023

Moving in
Real Name
zoe
so i’ve had a ring neck for three weeks and he is still terrified of me and is not making any progress he is already tamed from the person we bought him from. he loved her and would step up with her. he is not doing any of that with me i have tried talking to him leaving his cage open while i’m with him, and giving him treats. he never responds to any treats and never eats them. he is used to his cage and loves it but not people. is there any other methods i can try to get him to trust me?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Start over again as if this bird is new to you. Be patient as trust of a bird is earned by the human!

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I like to have a place directly next to the cage for me to quietly work next to my birds, it helps show you are gentle and not a predetor 20210814_160509.jpg

Phocyn

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Laura
To be frank it took my ring neck and I a year to develop a relationship. You need to come around to his language too. You’re a stranger to him. Honestly my Jade hasn’t attempted to seriously bite me outside of grooming for nearly 4 months. Take your time and keep your habits the same around him. What kind of treats does he like and has he shown interest in your food? Birds are often social eaters.

zp1023

Moving in
Real Name
zoe
To be frank it took my ring neck and I a year to develop a relationship. You need to come around to his language too. You’re a stranger to him. Honestly my Jade hasn’t attempted to seriously bite me outside of grooming for nearly 4 months. Take your time and keep your habits the same around him. What kind of treats does he like and has he shown interest in your food? Birds are often social eaters.

Thank you I just now saw this and it gave me relief knowing it took yours awhile too. I know they can take a while to trust you but I was worried if he didn’t soon he never would. I have found this treat he likes quite a bit which are these seed sticks and I try to give them to him but he does not like when I try to reach towards him even if it’s only in the door way of his cage. He has now a couple of times sat my shoulder and head and loves to play with my hair but he seems to be very timid towards my hands. I have tried teaching stepping up but I can’t even get my hands near him without him getting mad.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you I just now saw this and it gave me relief knowing it took yours awhile too. I know they can take a while to trust you but I was worried if he didn’t soon he never would. I have found this treat he likes quite a bit which are these seed sticks and I try to give them to him but he does not like when I try to reach towards him even if it’s only in the door way of his cage. He has now a couple of times sat my shoulder and head and loves to play with my hair but he seems to be very timid towards my hands. I have tried teaching stepping up but I can’t even get my hands near him without him getting mad.
Try and get him to step up onto a perch instead that keeps your hands at a distance and you can do some training with him and he isnt getting stressed by your hand.