• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent What to do after dog attack?

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
My lovebird was snatched down from the counter today by my grandmother’s 8 year old yorkie mix that we just adopted a couple weeks ago by default after she passed away. I pulled him off her immediately and it seems like only her tail was damaged (as it was the only thing wet, no bleeding, some feather shedding). She was able to fly away and meet me to safety, where I bathed here to get the dog saliva off, checked her more thoroughly for injuries, and wrapped her up in a towel and held her to me. She was feisty before and during the bath, calm afterwards, grooming & eating now. What should I be on the look out for? She seems okay but I know birds turn quick. I called 3 vets and they all said they were busy for today and that the damage seems external.

Also, I’ve been trying really really hard with the bird and the dog. It’s not my choice to have them in the same house. I crate train him and obedience train him around her. I try to keep them separate and always monitor them, I’m so upset about this. Please don’t attack me, just offer me constructive advice.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would probably want her seen by a vet regardless if at all possible just to be certain. If any saliva got into any scratch or orifice, if can cause an infection. She might be completely fine but peace of mind is valuable.

Watch for behavior changes, bad poops, sleeping more, etc. Pretty much same as any other illness

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
I would probably want her seen by a vet regardless if at all possible just to be certain. If any saliva got into any scratch or orifice, if can cause an infection. She might be completely fine but peace of mind is valuable.

Watch for behavior changes, bad poops, sleeping more, etc. Pretty much same as any other illness
Thank you!! I’ll continue to monitor her and see if I can bring her in later. Do you know what kind of poops I should be on the look out for in case of that kind of infection? The consistency usually fluctuates throughout the day but the colors are pretty predictable.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Thank you!! I’ll continue to monitor her and see if I can bring her in later. Do you know what kind of poops I should be on the look out for in case of that kind of infection? The consistency usually fluctuates throughout the day but the colors are pretty predictable.
It's going to depend on diet etc. A one off poop that looks suspect isn't a concern to me. But if they have concerning poops over the course of 48 hours that can't be explained by activity or diet, there is usually a reason.

01bb64_e596cb3aa4ee48d19b07166c1bc9de87_mv2.jpg

ktluvszoe

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Katie
Just wanted to update a week later and say she seems to be doing great! I bathed her, dried her in a towel, and then let her rest in her cage. Her vet told me it was probably unnecessary to bring her in based on her described behavior but to keep a look out. No loss of weight or appetite, regular poops, no change in behavior. Flies great!

She does seem to be shedding a few more feathers (down mostly, 2-3 tail, head/neck when being scritched) within the last 3 days but I think the season or the fact that she hasn’t been able to bathe as often because of the dog could be contributing to that change.

Thank you @Mizzely for your help and concern!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Glad to hear she seems to be doing well :)