• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What time of year do your little angels usualy turn into hormonal monsters? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

featherlove

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marie
Just wondering since Jazz has been acting pretty hormonal these few weeks. He is less and less cooperative and more protective of his cage. He constantly is searching for nesting material and gets into trouble every time I blink. :lol:

On top of this, he is chassing the kids and dad around and wont let anybody close to him other than me. I am trying to keep a record of his behaviors so we can chart his hormonal periods to help us to foresee them.

Since this is our first Macaw, I have very little experience with their hormonal phases since we have only dealt with species for wich the symptoms are a little less..how can I put his....intense :D

Please share your experience! :p

Marie and family

onthewingsofmacaws

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Patricia
My Darius is extremely Hormonal right now as well and I also know of a few others that are also going through this. Darius chases my Daughter and trys to bite her toes every chance he gets. He has also bitten me when I've tried to Intervene to stop him from biting my daughter. or if I want him to step up from my GCC cage because he scares him but I think Darius has kinda chosen him as his love interest. Its very obvious my GCC does not return the feelings. I hoping its going to be over with soon. I've cut him off soft foods. started feeding him twice a day instead of food constantly available and lengthened his sleep time as much as I can since he lives totally cage free 24/7 Its a little hard to do but I'm trying to turn off the lights in his room so the natural setting of the sun is his bed time.It gets dark fairly early right now so that helps allot. Is your Macaw DNA tested to be a male?

robin's my baby

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
sarah
angel what are you talking about:D anyway wright nows the time :(

Holiday

Mac Mama
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Elvis was hormonal for the past six weeks. She's coming out of it now. Zoe and Max aren't old enough for that yet, but oh boy, I have that to look forward to ;)

featherlove

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Marie
AHhhhhh this makes me feel soooooo much better! I was hoping it was hormones but was worried we were doing something wrong!

Patricia: The people who brought him to us said he was tested but since I don't have the papers, I can't be sure. We have been surprised before! :hehe:
Thank you for your answers! We'll just have to wait it out I guess ;)

The Wooden Parrot

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barbara
My female B&G, Josh is ALWAYS into nest building. She really goes for cabinets and loves cardboard boxes. Thankfully she doen't get grumpy or anything, One year I gave her a big wooden egg and she loved to sit all cuddled up with it, it was to big for her to sit on so she would just snuggle up to it. Eventually she lost interest and I removed it but she never did chew on it like her other wood toys.

Big Blues

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Well, I passed up this thread because I hadn't noticed any hormonal aggressive behaviors in any of our macaws until tonight when during my regular routine went into our bird room to turn out the lights and our Buffons, Barney :omg:ran across his long mid-cage perch and postured in his attack mode. I was never so glad that there was cage bars between him and I!:mad2:

onthewingsofmacaws

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Patricia
Well, I passed up this thread because I hadn't noticed any hormonal aggressive behaviors in any of our macaws until tonight when during my regular routine went into our bird room to turn out the lights and our Buffons, Barney :omg:ran across his long mid-cage perch and postured in his attack mode. I was never so glad that there was cage bars between him and I!:mad2:

:hehe:Its that time of year again.

Alex

Take a stroll down the Avenue!
I cant speak for the macaws. But my CAG is being a brat right now. I blame it all on hormones! :lol:

M

M.C Bird Rescue

HAHAHAH.....Yes now is the time, hence why so many are also surrendering birds right now.

But it all in how you deal with the hormones..IMO. I just sit back and let them do their thing until it is all over, they make the decisions to interact with me or not. I give them their space, time, and allow them to make their own decisions. Me being in their face just makes it so much worst. There is no reason for me to force them to do things, I just walk away and come back calmly.
I see it as..when I am hormonal monthly...sometimes I just want to be let be. Leave me alone, no touching, etc.
Don't get me wrong, they all come out of the cage all day everyday, but they have their time to themselves and decide if they want MY interaction or if they want me to leave them the heck alone. LOL

Welshanne

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Ann Burdett
How I would love to leave Jay out of his cage at this present time, but it is a big no no. He started to attack from a great height! and from across the room from where he was. It was with lightning speed so did the most damage and he was gone as quickly as he arrived.
There was no interaction, looking at him even, just when he decided he wanted to.
I had to put a stop to it as soon as I could for safety reasons and also not for it to become an ingrained habit that would continue even after the hormones had settled.
Chaz who relied on Jay for everything, has suddenly got a life of his own and making up his own mind what to do. This has thrown Jay into more of a turmoil as his big brother macho image is beginning to slip away.:(

Status
Not open for further replies.