• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What strange mutation is this???

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
^I mean affecting feather development from the get go and changing feather form.
It clearly affects feathers otherwise!

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Wow he's beautiful! Love the colors!

sophieb821

Strolling the yard
Oh my gosh they are so beautiful! I do have a budgie with these unusual feather mutation. But as it grew slightly older and went though multiple moulting seasons and the feathers started to blend in a bit more. But currently right now it’s summer and the weird feathers are starting to returns strangely ‍♀

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
@HemlokHex Do you know what fallow does when it doesn't show phenotypically to other colours? I've never been able to pin down the reason that the spangle markings on Cloud, the late Moss & Ernest are beige, not black.

Cloud & Moss had clutch mates who had the typical blackish coloured spangle markings. Seeing the five budgies together, it was obvious that they were related, but that the spangles were edged in two different colours. If a budgie carries spangle, are their eyes normal? Cloud & Ernest have normal eyes (black with visible irises).

I know all my other budgies' visible mutations, but not those three & it is down to the lightened spangle markings & the somewhat lightened body colours. Is this something you could help with? I know it doesn't matter, but I like knowing & don't want to hijack your thread. :)

The reason I thought it could be worn tail tips is because baby budgies typically are rough on their tail tips. Cloud especially had this in his first moulted tail feathers, just less extreme.

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
@HemlokHex Do you know what fallow does when it doesn't show phenotypically to other colours? I've never been able to pin down the reason that the spangle markings on Cloud, the late Moss & Ernest are beige, not black.

Cloud & Moss had clutch mates who had the typical blackish coloured spangle markings. Seeing the five budgies together, it was obvious that they were related, but that the spangles were edged in two different colours. If a budgie carries spangle, are their eyes normal? Cloud & Ernest have normal eyes (black with visible irises).

I know all my other budgies' visible mutations, but not those three & it is down to the lightened spangle markings & the somewhat lightened body colours. Is this something you could help with? I know it doesn't matter, but I like knowing & don't want to hijack your thread. :)

The reason I thought it could be worn tail tips is because baby budgies typically are rough on their tail tips. Cloud especially had this in his first moulted tail feathers, just less extreme.
Have you considered them being cinnamon?

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
No, I don't know anything about cinammon. I'll look into this! Thanks, Aussiebird. :)

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Breeder replied that some of her fallows have vee tails, and his grandfather is fallow, so maybe that's where it comes from.
The tips of his feathers are what is affected due to his mutation, so I tend to think the tail vees are not worn feathers.
As much as I understand @Zara and @Sparkles99 concerns re health, Apollo is a completely normal budgie in all other respects.... very outgoing, playful, talkative and healthy. He shows zero health issues and no slow development.
If breeders didn't take a punt on breeding oddities, we wouldn't have crested budgies, helicopters (not my cup of tea, but is a feather mutation), or even blue series and all the wonders of the budgieverse. Sadly, we have feather dusters..... and if my bird showed any health issues, of course I wouldn't consider breeding.
I personally love his weird mutation, and if I can get healthy babies displaying it, I will be ecstatic. He is the most beautiful budgie, his feathers are iridescent and the mutation gives him a strange texture which is mesmerizing.
Of course if he starts to display any health effects, I wouldn't breed, and if any babies end up with issues, I wouldn't continue.
If breeders don't take a punt on new and interesting mutations in otherwise healthy birds, then we would all have small, darling wild green types.
The diversity of budgie colours and types is AMAZING, and I hope to add to that.
I appreciate everyone's concerns.
I am simply documenting his feathers here for posterity, and I appreciate the thought-provoking comments and debate ❤❤❤
I think this is so very interesting! I love the mutations. The chicken world wouldn't have those feet feathered ones either, if someone hadn't paid attention to the unusual...
Really appreciate your posting for the documentation aspect.. thank you for being open to comments and not being offended.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa

My spangle has no visible iris. She has baby button eyes. That said, it could be recessive pied in her background.
Please hijack my thread lol.... give us pics of your bubs!

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Also, the tail tips are definitely genetic. Breeder confirmed this is a feature (bug?) of her line.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
When you do your veterinarian check up do have tested for PBFD . To be safe. As budgies can react differently with this virus , often never losing feathers or only lose tail , can be a chronic hidden infection in breeding colonies .
So I would want to be sure.

Hopefully all fine and you can enjoy and celebrate this feather difference.
I rang the avian vet today (I picked up a wild baby miner to take to them for rehousing with a certified wildlife rescuer) to ask about getting a baseline health check on all
The breeder never had this illness i(ptfb) n her flock, but I will get it checked for, nonetheless.

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
Lol pbfd... I'm tired, 4am.

Here... a new feather for y'all
@AussieBird

This is archetypal of Apollo's feathers... 12-20 barbs make up the 'tail' of each feather, and often the barbs either side of the 'tail' appear worn or damaged.
So, specifically, his mutation affects the last few barbs of each feather.

Attachments

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
I have many beautiful feathers to show you guys, most like the last pic.
@Pat H , yes, I am here to document and learn. I dont get terribly offended by others opinions.
I know we all have strong opinions regarding these things (I realised I didn't reply awhile ago, sorry!).

HemlokHex

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mischa
These 2 have bonded beautifully. I'm feverishly awaiting next breeding season.
I gave them a swing yesterday, and they flapped, it swung, when it swung, they panic flapped. Cue repeated crazy defective birb loop lol.
Hope they get used to it soon!