• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What sprouts are safe for birds?

honkwee

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
ava
I recently ordered the Lil' Bird seed sprouting mix from Sprout People , and I was wondering how to safely sprout them. I know that most beans/other legumes should not be fed uncooked but are Mung beans, Adzuki beans, Red lentils, Black lentils, Crimson lentils, and French blue lentils, safe to feed as sprouts? Do they have to be boiled or steamed? I'm so confused lol. Thank you!

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I buy the little bird mix too. They are fine to sprout and serve. I soak overnight with some ACV in the Easy Sprouter. I rinse and drain well about four times a day until I see tails, so after about two days. At this time I soak with ACV again for about 15 minutes. Then I rinse, drain and dry well. I store them in the fridge and use them all within three days. I should add, I live where the air is very dry, so your sprouts might behave a little bit differently.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Everything in their Bird Mixes is safe to feed sprouted :)

CrazyKozmo

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
If your birds don't like beans (my stubborn fids just turn up their beaks when I try to give them sprouted/cooked beans), sproutpeople's mix called Amber Waves of Grain is a nice alternative.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If your birds don't like beans (my stubborn fids just turn up their beaks when I try to give them sprouted/cooked beans), sproutpeople's mix called Amber Waves of Grain is a nice alternative.
That's my favorite mix from them!!

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@honkwee

Yes, I have trouble w/ beans, & lentils for Buddy too! I ALWAYS mix them into his homeade sprout mixes. Occasionally, I will catch him consuming a bit of a bean or lentil. I have been consistently doing this since I started sprouting for him becsuse there are vitamins & minerals he doesn't get anywhere else. I try to home make my sprouts as follows:

Logic behind my mixes is color & variety:

@ least 1 (often 2) Bean or Black eyed pea or Garbanzo bean
@ least 2 Lentil
@ least 1 Grain
@ least 2 Seeds

I boil water every morning & add into his serving

1 Herb or Tea (Bird wellness approved of course!)
A topper of crushed pellets
2nd topper of a mixture of Hemp Hearts + Ground Flax + Chia seeds occasionally I'll add in sesame seeds.

By this point the water cools & is Herb is a tea. I either feed as this tea mixture, or strain & leave herb in it w/ boosted immune powers consumed w/ the sprouts.

Also as you sprout you can smell them before adding a vinegar & water wash. They should smell earthy. IF they smell like mold or mildew pitch them & start over.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
@honkwee I hope you’re alright with my jumping onto this thread to ask some of my own questions? :) I didn’t want to start a whole new thread. I sprouted some mung beans for the first time, and I was shocked how warm the batch got as it sat in my cabinet sprouting. I got so freaked out about pathogen growth that I decided to steam the batch to kill any pathogens that may have grown but I know this has likely destroyed all the good stuff that you’re supposed to get in fresh sprouts. I looked up government guidelines for sprout safety and they actually don’t recommend eating sprouts raw because of the high risk of food poisoning. Thoughts??

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@honkwee I hope you’re alright with my jumping onto this thread to ask some of my own questions? :) I didn’t want to start a whole new thread. I sprouted some mung beans for the first time, and I was shocked how warm the batch got as it sat in my cabinet sprouting. I got so freaked out about pathogen growth that I decided to steam the batch to kill any pathogens that may have grown but I know this has likely destroyed all the good stuff that you’re supposed to get in fresh sprouts. I looked up government guidelines for sprout safety and they actually don’t recommend eating sprouts raw because of the high risk of food poisoning. Thoughts??
Best to start a new thread as it will get more views than opening an old thread.

CrazyKozmo

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
That's why you rinse your sprouts A LOT while in the sprouting stage, only sprout enough for a few days, continue to rinse to sprouts, and store them in the fridge after they've reached to desired sprout length....to reduce pathogens.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
While sprouting, rinse about four times a day and drain very well. Stop sprouting when they just have tiny tails, soak in ACV, rinse well, dry, keep in fridge, and use within three days. My birds have eaten sprouts every day for at least six years, and never had an issue. If you live where it’s humid, you might have to be extra careful with mold growing on your sprouts, but you can smell, see and taste them in order to check. I live where it’s very, very dry.

soundsfun

Walking the driveway
ShezBug thanks for the suggestion. I’ll do that next time! CrazyKozmo and Tiel Feathers, thank you for your tips and reassurance. I feel less anxious about it and will give it another go.

Oscarbird

I feel less anxious about it and will give it another go.
If you're feeling nervous to start sprouting, maybe try an already sprouted pack? My organic fruit and veg store sells locally grown sprouts in packages and they work splendidly. Just a thought!

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I would not buy sprouts from any store to feed your bird. The sprouts made for people are sprouted way to long, with long tails, and it will be longer than three days from when they are “done” until your bird eats them. This all increases the chance that they could harbor bacteria that can harm your bird.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I also would never feed store bought sprouts to my birds either.