• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What species are required to be Banded?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I know it goes state by state, but how do you find out what species are required to be banded in your state?

I tried looking it up but my states website made no sense :grumpy:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Endangered species, but I think only required for moving across state lines , or shipping, travel, and sale

Except from above linked article

" the CITES List

Some parrot species, although common as captive bred birds in the pet trade, are actually endangered species in the wild. These parrots are are included on CITES, the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species.
No matter how common a parrot is in captivity, if it is rare in the wild it is still classified as endangered by CITES. If your bird is one of the species on the CITES list, the law states that it must have leg rings or microchips to identify it, and all the correct breeders' paperwork too. In the USA this is issued by the US Fish & Wildlife Service (FWS). Breeders will have the relevant paperwork when you buy the bird ."

Not a complete list! Taken from linked article
"
  • Mullocan (Salmon-crested) Cockatoo
  • Lesser sulphur-crested (Yellow-crested) Cockatoo
  • Citron (Citron-crested) Cockatoo
  • Palm Cockatoo
  • Lilac-crowned (Finsch’s) Amazon
  • Mexican Red-headed (Green-cheeked) Amazon
  • Hyacinth Macaw
  • Scarlet Macaw
  • Military Macaw
  • Red fronted Macaw
  • Blue-throated Conure
  • African Grey "

Last edited:

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Endangered species, but I think only required for moving across state lines , or shipping, travel, and sale
Oh dear. I hope it's just for sale and interstate travel. My TAG, Boo, came to me banded, but I have heard enough stories of band-related injuries that I had the vet remove it.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh dear. I hope it's just for sale and interstate travel. My TAG, Boo, came to me banded, but I have heard enough stories of band-related injuries that I had the vet remove it.
I am not positive but I would think a band could be replaced by a microchip and still cover requirements.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
That's good to know - I plan to have Isadora chipped just for safety, but we also plan to move states eventually so that'll come in handy.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
That's good to know - I plan to have Isadora chipped just for safety, but we also plan to move states eventually so that'll come in handy.
Are you sure Isadora has all her paperwork? Not sure of America (and her exact species as the yellow crested cockatoos rather look alike:) ) but here they need cites paperwork. Here you can apply for the paperwork with an older bird if they have a closed band and band can be replaced with chip. If they have no band at all it’s tricky and you basically can’t move over secured borders. Maybe totally not applying to you but thought I would mention just in case, better to get everything in order right away then find o it later:) My illies previous people have been checked a couple times while free flying with their birds and know several people who didn’t have the paperwork with them and the cops followed them home to ensure all was good.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Are you sure Isadora has all her paperwork?
I don't think we're required to have CITES paperwork to move between states, or if there needs to be paperwork, only certain states require it. We'd be looking at a move to Michigan, which has really lax animal laws. If we were moving to Florida or California, we might need it - they're really struck on animals coming into those states. I know here in Virginia you can buy a cockatoo or macaw (or whatever bird) without any CITES paperwork, and it's the same in Michigan. As far as I know she's never had a band though, and I have 0 paperwork for her so I hope I don't need it :roflmao:

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I don't think we're required to have CITES paperwork to move between states, or if there needs to be paperwork, only certain states require it. We'd be looking at a move to Michigan, which has really lax animal laws. If we were moving to Florida or California, we might need it - they're really struck on animals coming into those states. I know here in Virginia you can buy a cockatoo or macaw (or whatever bird) without any CITES paperwork, and it's the same in Michigan. As far as I know she's never had a band though, and I have 0 paperwork for her so I hope I don't need it :roflmao:
That’s good to hear! We also have plans for possibly moving abroad, for countries in Europe we can drive to, it probably won’t be a problem either but UK or overseas you really have to have everything in order. I find it weird almost al macaws are okay without cites, my little guy needs it but the green wings, B&G etc don’t. It’s not something you really think about a lot, at least I don’t, as most species are okay without it so thought I would point out just in case.

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I hope I never need to show anyone JaKhu's band. She's chewed on it so much the numbers are gone & she isn't 3 years old yet. I have her papers, but there are no CITES papers.

In the USA I think the only parrot that isn't legal to own ...in certain states...is a Quaker. Some states have restrictions on Quaker parrots: https://www.pecanacrespets.com/pdf files/Quakers Legal.pdf

Some states require a health certificate when taking parrots across state lines.

I would suggest, if you are planning to move to another state, get a health check done & papers from your avian vet before you make the trip, just in case you'd get stopped or would be involved in an accident.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Some states also require all parrots to be banded or microchipped regardless of species.