• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What size perches for Prevue F040??

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
I've just ordered the ubiquitous Prevue Hendryx F040 flight cage for my budgies and I want to get at least one double ended, natural wood perch to put on it. However, it seems to be an odd size. All perches I can find are 24, 28 or 32 inches, but the measurements on this cage put it at 31 inches (by 21.5).

This is such a popular cage, does anyone know if any standard sized perches will fit in it, end-to-end?

If you have this cage, what have you done for perches?

Thanks!!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
One of my cages is this one. Don’t get heavy perches. The cage won’t be able to hold them.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Momof3litt

One of my cages is this one. Don’t get heavy perches. The cage won’t be able to hold them.
That's part of why I was looking at the double ended ones, better support. Or do you think that a solid branch would still be too heavy of bolted at both ends?

I bought a custom sized one :) Seriously Nutz - Birch Perches *Custom Size* - Custom Length Bird Perches for Aviaries and Cages. 12-72" Long

You can measure the size of the included dowels to help you figure out what size you need.
I've looked at these and my budgies would ADORE them, but shipping to Canada might be very cost-prohibitive...

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That's part of why I was looking at the double ended ones, better support. Or do you think that a solid branch would still be too heavy of bolted at both ends?

I've looked at these and my budgies would ADORE them, but shipping to Canada might be very cost-prohibitive...
Oh yes shoot. :(

Momof3litt

Okay, I was too impulsive, have to think this through a bit better. I've cancelled the cage order for now, will maybe post about that in a bit.

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn

There is a forum sidewalk sale next weekend. Sarah at Seriously Nutz is offering 10% off orders. That may help with shipping costs a bit.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’d wait to see it before buying perches. It’s a lovely cage. I’d not trust it to keep cats or dogs out, if that’s a consideration. Maybe you could get one locally. I did. Dealers who stock Prevue Hendryx should be able to order it. I’m in Canada too & found it in stock on the shelf! Check independent stores, not just chains.

Momof3litt

I’d wait to see it before buying perches. It’s a lovely cage. I’d not trust it to keep cats or dogs out, if that’s a consideration. Maybe you could get one locally. I did. Dealers who stock Prevue Hendryx should be able to order it. I’m in Canada too & found it in stock on the shelf! Check independent stores, not just chains.
I'm in the Ottawa area and I'm not even sure what independent stores exist around here that would carry such a large bird item. I go into them hoping for bird stuff and then have try to get excited about one lonely package of millet. Lol. Many local independent businesses advertise as being "local to Ottawa/Gatineau" but are actually 1+ hours away, so "local" doesn't always mean "realistic driving distance" unfortunately.

Momof3litt

It’s a lovely cage. I’d not trust it to keep cats or dogs out, if that’s a consideration.
I'm glad to hear that you like it, the reviews overall are so positive, but when I hear that it won't hold a heavier perch, I feel like I'm going to be limited which is one of things I'm trying to improve from our current cage.

I bought the Geo Owlet cage (with tall stand) for my 2 budgies before I really knew any better. It is definitely a cage that has been built for the humans, not the birds. It is very attractive, a showpiece in my living room for sure. I love the colour and that it is not shaped like a box, but that is about it. It's basically a 20" x 20" x 20" cube, except because it's actually a geodesic dome, every wall slants in a different direction. It's a real challenge to put anything in - perches, bowls, etc. It was very much to use the included accessories (dowel perches that hang in a certain way, center feeder) and I did not realize that when I bought it.

All the budgies really do is sleep and eat in there, but they have actively been trying to take over my GCCs cage for a few weeks now and it's getting to be a safety issue (i.e. they used to hightail it out of there when he came in, now they just stay put and keep on doing what they were doing - eating his food, chewing his toys, perching on his perches) and I think it's time to take the hint and get them a better cage so they can get out of his.

So now the question is just which cage and where do I get it from?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I honestly hung some flagstone perches in a couple of F040s for several years without any issues!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I honestly hung some flagstone perches in a couple of F040s for several years without any issues!
Yes, i'm wondering what a 'heavier perch' even means with this cage and budgies??

Anyway, there are several things you could do. For one, contact @JLcribber who is in Canada and makes some awesome things. He could probably set you up with a great perch.

I usually put the smaller dowel perches across a corner - so, not all the way across but still on the side I want them, if that makes sense. Usually that's in the front and I hang a boing in the corner behind it.

You can just get tree branches from the yard and wedge them in. Or, if you're handy, make them into bolt-on perches yourself.

Momof3litt

Oh, that's good to know! We really like our flagstone perches and that was one of my concerns about "heavier" perches.

My budgies seem to prefer the wider diameter perches in the conure's cage, so just want to make sure I can get some of those in there.

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It’s a forked manzanita perch. 1/2” & 1” diameters on the forked parts. Maybe it’s that it’s too long (over a foot).

Critter Jungle on Carling has the best bird section in town. When I was first choosing food I posted pictures here of part of it. Pretty sure some people on AA had drool on their keyboards. As you may be gathering, I’m in Ottawa too. That’s where I bought the F040 off the shelf. They can also order stuff in for you.

Momof3litt

So funny to run into a local in this big, wide internet world! That's good to know about Critter Jungle, their web store bird section is very limited, so I assumed it would be the same in-store. I will have to swing by and take a look.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I’m wondering if they changed the cage, since we have such differing opinions of it.
Yes admittedly mine were purchased about 10 years ago and we all know how much can change in 10 years!

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe they changed the gauge of the wire.

Momof3litt, make sure you go to the Carling location. The Orleans one is very cat & dog focused.

Momof3litt

So I just popped over to Critter Jungle and 1) wow! Great selection! 2) they do have the Prevue F040, it's $400, which seemed like a bit much?? It's $347 on Amazon. I got to look at it in person and I think I would be a little concerned about those non-locking doors...? They open so easily and there are so many of them on the sides, I can't imagine they would hold up to a curious budgie pushing against them??