• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent What Should You Do If Your Bird is Choking?

LydiaB

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lydia
I never really thought about this question until it happened to Eddie. I was in the car, taking him home from the vet and I decided to give him a small bit of French fry since he had a stressful day. We went over a bump when he was trying to swallow and he ended up choking on it. I panicked and my first instinct was to lightly rub/tap his lower neck/stomach area. It seemed to work and he choked up the piece of fry. I was just wondering if what I did was right, or should I have done something else? I never thought about this and never thought I'd need to be prepared for this, so I'm just wondering if anyone knows how to properly help your bird in this situation because it can be scary!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Thankfully I've been home when my dove was choking, I cleared her throat with a NO NEEDLE small syringe. If I wasn't here, ...I dont want to think about it. Glad your little guy is ok! Quick thinking!