• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What should use to sand down stainless steel?

dollfish

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I'm so close to completing Astro's indoor aviary. I need to do some touch ups before I put everything together and one of those is to grind/sand down the edges of the wire.

This is 3mm 304 stainless steel.

I have got a Dremel and a drill and a sanding attachment.

Is it possible to use sandpaper attached to a drill to sand down some sharp edges on stainless steel? If so, then what type and grain should I use?
Is a flap disc a better idea?

Dremel is more variable I gues but I've got a large area to cover so it may not be very feasable I think.

Is there a better option? I'm also willing to buy new tools because I'm sure I'll use it for other projects as well.

Last edited:

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
@Jan is probably the best to answer this one! Or possibly @JLcribber :) you might have to wait a bit though, I think it's night time for them.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
I would use a small angle grinder with an aluminum oxide disk(400 grit) on it. Dremel is way too small and light.

If you want to polish/shine the steel use steel wool.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If all you want to do is dull the edges you can use a piece of wood with some emery cloth as a sanding block and scuff the edges.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I would use a small angle grinder with an aluminum oxide disk(400 grit) on it. Dremel is way too small and light.

If you want to polish/shine the steel use steel wool.
Can I attach a similar disk to a drill? I don't mind much about polishing, I just want to smooth the edges I think.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
What do you guys think about this finish? It isn't perfectly smooth but I can run the back of my hand on it without getting scratched. I used this tool.

There are a few exceptionally sharp ones left, I will work on those ones in detail with a Dremel tool.

Branches are also not particularly smooth in my opinion so I'm not aiming for extreme smoothness. Is this good thinking?

15963789092526890630828565403159.jpg 15963789427701538722155971892223.jpg

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
So after some research, I bought an angle grinder with zirconium flap disks for grinding. The personnel at the store were very unwilling to sell it to me but I insisted that I would be fine. Turns out this machine is a total monsterousity. They did affect me a little bit and now I'm scared to use the machine. It spins very fast but a flap disk should not be so dangerous with goggles and a face shield isn't it? :depressed:

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I'm quite comfortable with a handheld jigsaw and a drill with different attachments but this one is just too unfamiliarly loud. I need some encouragement... My boyfriend says that we can do it together at the weekend but he is nowhere near as competent as me when it comes to working with power tools and his left shoulder is still bad after breaking only 7 months ago.

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
I built our tv stand, the canopy on the terrace, the seating, quail cage, several benches and many many more butttttt have you ever used an angle grinder @Ulis_Beast ? I can imagine it being intimidating for boys AND girls... :bounce4:

I have thought about it and you just hold it nice and steady isn't it.. This and use your common sense. The thing is though I bought one with only one speed so its all power or no power. :p

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
You may be able to find a youtube tutorial which may help you feel more confident that you know what to expect.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
You could just use a hand file or piece of sandpaper to dull those edges without power tools. But it’s more work. :D

Reactions: Ali

scott199

Walking the driveway
you'll be fine, let it spin up, hold on tight and don't put to much force on it, or any to be fair, just gently let it touch the bits you want to clean, it should have a side handle, you need to use that bit :)

Just note it will be quite quick, so will only need a light touch.

but let it spin up away from the item, don't rest it and turn it on as it may grab.

all this and im assuming you have a little 4" grinder ?? not a monster 12" ??

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
butttttt have you ever used an angle grinder @Ulis_Beast ? I
If you MUST know.. last time to sharpen the lawnmower blades... :rolleyes: ... It was an adventure.. :D

If nothing else helps.. you can always use the mantra:" I love Astro, I love Astro, ..."

Can't wait to see the end result.. with a happy fid!

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
You could just use a hand file or piece of sandpaper to dull those edges without power tools. But it’s more work. :D
I have 3 200x170 cm panels to cover and they came just raw. I took your advice and did with sanding paper with the type you said but I think I would like a smoother finish, especially on the edges for the little feet and peace of mind.

you'll be fine, let it spin up, hold on tight and don't put to much force on it, or any to be fair, just gently let it touch the bits you want to clean, it should have a side handle, you need to use that bit :)

Just note it will be quite quick, so will only need a light touch.

but let it spin up away from the item, don't rest it and turn it on as it may grab.

all this and im assuming you have a little 4" grinder ?? not a monster 12" ??
No not the monster... LOL
I just wish I could lower the speed but honestly when I use the brush tip with my drill it does a bounce back job on lower speeds so maybe I would have to use it on this setting anyway if I had an adjustable one. Also I like how they made the turn off button a little touch. You need to push upwards strongly and slide the button up to start it but it only takes a little touch for it to click back into position and turn off. It is also positioned right where your hand goes on the handle. I don't know if this much detail should add to my worries or comfort me. :roflmao:

dollfish

Real Name
Zeynep Dollfish
The disk I got is a teeny bit larger than my grinder so unfortunately I can't test it out today. I'm so bummed out.. :shifty:

15971566741361552563792458847236.jpg

scott199

Walking the driveway
I have 3 200x170 cm panels to cover and they came just raw. I took your advice and did with sanding paper with the type you said but I think I would like a smoother finish, especially on the edges for the little feet and peace of mind.

No not the monster... LOL
I just wish I could lower the speed but honestly when I use the brush tip with my drill it does a bounce back job on lower speeds so maybe I would have to use it on this setting anyway if I had an adjustable one. Also I like how they made the turn off button a little touch. You need to push upwards strongly and slide the button up to start it but it only takes a little touch for it to click back into position and turn off. It is also positioned right where your hand goes on the handle. I don't know if this much detail should add to my worries or comfort me. :roflmao:
Honestly i use them daily, its a little frightening because of the noise but its easier to hang onto than a drill as they can rotate in your hand, key point is very light contact and it will just nip the edges off in a milli second.

Just get it unto speed and give it a little kiss (on the stainless not you :) ) and it will be fine, very very light pressure is the key, let it do the work.