• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What should I tell customers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ellurd

Meeting neighbors
A friend of mine has a bird store and I occasionally help her out with the customers. A very common question they come in with is "I would like to get a bird for my 6-year old and we want a bird that can learn to talk." My friend will recommend a cockatiel. Now, I have never heard a cockatiel talk. She also recommends her umbrella cockatoos. The only type of cockatoos I have heard talk are bare-eyed and slender billed corellas.

What's more, I'm not sure a 6-year old is ready for a bird at all. I'd be very hesitant to have a cockatoo around a small child. To me, most of the good talkers (well, maybe a male budgie???) would not be appropriate for small children. What would you recommend I tell them? Also, I feel leery around people who judge birds based on their talking ability.

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is this the friend that sells birds at the flea market? A breeder recommending a U2 for someones young child is irresponsible,
and not a breeder I would ever have anything to do with.

Yes, Tiels can and do talk. The parents need to understand that the bird needs to be a family obligation, and it takes work no matter what size it is.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I guess I'd ask why they want to get a bird for their child and what are their expectations of the bird? Do they realize that there is no guarantee that a bird, even from a species that can talk, will talk? And that talking doesn't happen in a day, week, or month - it may take longer?

Emphasize that a pet bird needs daily care and attention, that it will be afraid when first taken home and that it will take time for any new pet bird to settle in at its new home.

Personally, I'd stick with suggesting smaller birds like a budgie or a tiel. Funnily enough none of the birds I own were purchased or adopted based on their talking abilities. It all had to do with character and how they reacted with/to me. Hope some of this helps.

65sunnyday

Biking along the boulevard
Real Name
April, aka 'SUNNY'
Uh oh, I see trouble ahead for whatever bird lands in their home. I would recommend a few good books on parrots & their care. Good luck!:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:) Give them all the website address of this forum.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Cockatiels can definitely talk. Squeeky is quite the little talker. As far as age goes, I really think it depends on the child. I at 5-6 years old had birds and I know how to take care of them and babied them just like I do with my babies now. Of course I had help from my parents too. I was a very responsible child for my age though.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
cockatiels can definitely talk but that is the entirely wrong reason to get a bird...your friend should be educating the person on reasons to get a bird....and not just to bec ome a six year old's plaything.

ellurd

Meeting neighbors
Actually, my friend is very knowledgeable and does spend lots of time with customers informing about the needs of parrots and what is required for the relationship to be successful. She is also available when the store is closed to assist with any problems. Sometimes I help her out and want to be of best help and service to customers. I just wanted to make sure I had accurate information. Thank you all for your help.

:)

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
Cock cockatiels and budgies can and do talk. Of all my cock tiels, only one was a talker and he came from a private breeder. A six year old child is not a responsible bird owner and is incapable of taking care of the animal properly. Make sure the parent knows this and that supervising the child in the presence of the bird is required.

bekah

Checking out the neighborhood
Cockatoos absolutely talk- I haven't actually met a species (though of course I've met birds) who don't talk. I volunteer at a rescue, and I've met Umbrellas, Moluccans, Sulfer Crested, Bare-eyed, Goffins, Major Mitchells, Elanoras, and the list goes on of Cockatoos who will chat your ear off if you let them! All depends on the bird... some of the best talkers I've met have been the Umbrellas. I'd agree though... I definitely wouldn't recommend a Too for a young child...

GlassOnion

Biking along the boulevard
Absolutely no one 'responsible and knowledgeable' would recommend a Cockatoo, especially the most intelligent BE2/Slender Billed types, to a young child. Whatever 'needs' the family has in a bird, 99.999% of the time, a Cockatoo is a terrible, dangerous suggestion.

penny'smom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
No offense to parents out there... when I hear about a young child potentially getting a pet I just cringe for the poor animal. Especially a small (non-cat, non-dog) creature that many people are not knowlegeable about and who couldn't very well defend itself or get away. A family pet that the parents protect, take responsibility for and have for his/her own sake is a better choice. The other cringe-worthy thing is being primarily concerned with talking ability.

I got a pair of "second-hand" budgies for my mom from a woman (VERY nice people, btw) who had multiple pets, several kids, and just was overwhelmed. I think the kids just lost interest. We've had budgies since one landed on our roof when I was 4, and I have never ever encountered a more nervous, scatterbrained pair of birds. It's like they were driven nuts, they are still unsettled and it has been years in a calm environment. Kids visiting my home usually have to be reminded multiple times to behave quietly and calmly - it's just the nature of kids to not be - it's not their fault. Animals are not toys, they are not "learning experiences" and they are not things to be discarded.

unicornlady7

Real Name
Christa
Well, I have a 9yr old girl, 7yr old boy, and 3yr old girl.... I wouldn't buy a pet of any kind *just* for them (ok, they do each have a betta). I supervise their handling of the birds at all times. They LOVE animals and are very good with them, but they are a bit young to recognise the "I've had enough" signals (tho I'm teaching them that too). It's one thing if the parents want a bird for the family and the adults will be taking primary care and showing the child how to handle the bird, and always supervise. Just as long as they don't buy it with the expectation that a 6yr old will take care of it. I read a sad thing on a person's facebook page... They got their 9yr old a GCC to replace his sun conure. Their son went to bed with the sunnie and he was smothered when the child rolled over...

orphansparrow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Cara
ooh...you may need to have a serious talk with your friend. recommending any bird for a young child is not great, but especially not a cockatoo. (in my opinion). yikes! i hope your friend sees that you are hesitant because you actually care for the well being of these animals.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
I have to wonder about the liability selling someone a cockatoo labeled safe for a 6 year old child should said child find themselves the recipient of a severe bite to the face. I think it would only take one bad experience to equal a serious lawsuit.

glaciermouse

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mandi
IMO, a child is not ready for any bird. Even budgies can live 15 years, and where will a 6yo be in 15 years?

If a parent wants to get a bird WITH their child, I would say a budgie. HOWEVER, I would then say that if they want it so that it talks, they should not be getting it at all. They can get a tape recorder for that. They should be getting it for mutual friendship.

Parrot14

Strolling the yard
Children should not the one who responsible in caring the bird, they're just need to be involved in caring. Such will benefit for them in mental development, emphaty , etc.

Up to now, I am only involving my kids, sometimes they're just lost interest and that's ok, we have plenty of time to show them how adorable the feathered friends are..

PeaceLoveDreamer

Real Name
Jacqui
I agree with most people around here. I do not thing a child under age 12 or 13 should be responsible for an animal, and even at that age the parents have to be aware that they need to be financially responsible. And honestly, some kids cant even handle that. I have to check on my 17 year old sister's pet rats daily because she forgets about them... and honestly, even though I was keeping exotic pets of different kinds and even breeding leopard geckos at 17, not all 17 year olds are like that.

But just on a side note, a good pet bird that will likely learn to talk is an Indian Ringneck Parakeet. I can tell you, I have heard those little guys talk as well as Amazons. Of course, the bird needs to be socialized to stay friendly, but I just figured I would suggest another smaller bird that can talk pretty well. Quakers talk too, and are on the smaller, and cuddlier side, but I know they aren't legal in any state. Just suggestions :).

greymatron

Real Name
Nicole
I agree about recommending a 'too for a small child...I don't think anyone in their right mind would pair those two together...I'd say Budgie or a 'Tiel..I mean its not our responsibility to question the parent, they should have the common sense to think they could actually handle a pet...I think the key word being should...I plan on my daughter having her first pet at 5 or 6, if she voices for months and months that she wants one, because that's when I got my first pet, but I also expect for me to do at least half of the 'work'...I guess you can say I'm using her as an excuse to get another pet...:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.