• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Seeds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HungryBird

Rollerblading along the road
What seeds do you guys recommend? I only feed Volkman and have been strictly feeding Volkman for quite a while now. It is the cleanest seed I have come across. I am thinking about trying Goldenfeast's seeds. I am only looking for really high quality brands.

And I don't want to feed Dr Harvey's.

Does anyone else here use Volkman? If so, which ones? What is your opinion on it? Do you think it is a super clean bird seed too?

My birds don't get lots of seeds so when the bags of Volkman come and they see me take it out of the box they go CRAZY! Absolutely insane! They freak out and run around until I give it to them!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
I have fed Volkmans and Goldenfeast...of course my birds are small..they love the Goldenfeast but I find it pricey

HungryBird

I wouldn't buy more than 4lbs at a time. How much do you pay for Goldenfeast? I'm looking now and it is much more expensive than Volkman. I didn't realize that. What do you currently feed?

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I also feed Volkman sometimes and I think it is a good seed mix. I also feed Wingnuts seeds. They have a very good seed mix also, with chopped nuts, dried fruits/veggies, etc. Home Page

The Platinum Parrot

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Lisa Bono
I like Higgins. the celestial blend is a big hit by me.
I also have folks coming in for Volkman because it is a good mix.

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
I am huge fan of Volkmans, it is clean and my birds love it.

I use Volkmans Super Science for hookbills.
Usually I buy 60 pounds at a time and keep it in a large sealed Rubbermaid tote :)

HungryBird

I have cockatiels and parakeets. I order all my supplies from Home - The Birdsafe Store. I checked out the website you posted about the Goldenfeast but I am a little wary of buying from that store. Also I don't buy in bulk because I only have four small birds. It wouldn't make sense to buy in bulk because it will not be fresh.

I also live in NYC so the shipping from birdseed.com is terrible. I think I will stick with the place I usually use because it has good prices and cheap shipping and that makes me a happy camper.

Usually I get the cockatiel seed without the sunflowers. Every so often I switch it up and get the one with sunflowers. Sometimes I give the parakeet seed to the cockatiels and vice versa but I find they prefer the kind that is meant for them.

hotfoot jackson

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
I buy seeds from the human dry goods/gourmet supply store and make up my own mix. That way I know its fairly healthy. I put; millet, wheat,sunflower, pepitas, celery seed, barley,rolled oats, currents, berries (mixed dried berries), dried tomato, dried pepper, dried apple, sesame seeds. Dusty also gets sprouted seeds; mung beans,sunflowers, pepita, alfalfa,green lentils, wheat. (plus vegie and fruit)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I use Brown's Encore. Squeeky loves it.

Status
Not open for further replies.