• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What pellets should I get?

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
I have a pearl whiteface cockatiel, about 7mths old, I bought for a her a zupreem fruit blend pellet for medium sized birds (says it was recommended for tiels). However, when she nibbles on it, it's abit big and most of it just ends up at the bottom of the cage. I'm planning to get a (no flavour) plain pellets for her, preferably smaller in size. What would be recommended?

Pat H

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Pat
We feed our birds ZuPreem Natural Pellets... Though they suggest medium size for a tiel, I would recommend the smaller, round pellet size for her.

I am still honestly 'out' w/ the decision w/ what size to use for both our birds-- Senegal, and Umbrella Cockatoo... Since the cost is SO MUCH CHEAPER for the 20# bag, I only purchase one so it won't go stale. And a portion of their food ends up making soup, so I've switched back and forth trying to decide which one works best! Either way, I end up changing their water two or three times a day, finally deciding the prudent alternative--- give them less food in the first place, so they realize they need to eat what they get... then feeding again in the afternoon... :sneaky:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are some many options!

Zupreem all the sizes within a recipe are the same formula so you could just feed the smaller parakeet size.

Otherwise, Harrison's, Hagen, Lafeber, Roudybush... They all make super small sized pellets.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
Sugary fruit-flavored pellets are usually not the healthiest. I recommend Harissons, I think it's the best. I feed Roudybush and Harrisons when I have access to it. Keep in mind cockatiels should have 25% pellets, 25% seeds, 40-45% fresh veggies, and 5-10% fruit. This is just a rough guide, But I know they should have 50-50 pellets and seeds.

Edit: TOPS is a good one, but you need to supplement vitamin D as it doesn't have any.

jenthetiel

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
John
I have bought zupreem natural flavourless for small birds, but my tiel refuses to eat it. I give her a mixture of seeds and pellets to get her used to it, but she simply wouldn't eat the pellets, what should I do? Thanks

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
I'm sorry your birds are being picky at converting to pellets... mine took a little adjusting, but did change. I added a few 'Species Specific' Cockatoo [from Pretty Bird] to their daily dose of Zupreem Natural pellets-- helped w/ the Senegal's poop smell, and they adjusted easily, tho gradually.