• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What pellet(s) are you feeding? (Summer 2022)

What pellet(s) are you feeding?

• All Living Things

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Caitec

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • FM Brown's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goldenfeast

• Hagen/Hari

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Harrison's

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • Higgins

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Kaytee

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Lafeber

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Mazuri

• Pretty Bird

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Psittacus

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Roudybush

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Scenic

• TOPs

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Versele-Laga

• Zupreem

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

• I don't feed any pellet

• Vetafarm

• Passwell

• Trill

• Total voters

Dewdrop

Meeting neighbors
My budgie and linnie both eat ZuPreem Natural. I’ve tried a couple times now to get them to eat TOP’s, but they’re so stubborn about it. I should try another brand in the future.

Luckily, they’re very good about eating fresh veggies and most of the seeds/legumes I sprout for them.
I’m not sure if this is common or not, but it seems like they accept unfamiliar fresh foods more readily than dry ones (pellets, dried herbs, and unsprouted seeds). I recently made a new dry mix with a variety of ingredients I thought they’d enjoy—including some new types of seeds—only for them to pick out the two ingredients they were already familiar with. :p

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Lots of Harrison's and Zupreem eaters! I have tried sooo many times to get Ripley to eat Harrison's and he won't budge :lol:
Burt is not eating the Harrison’s anymore, hasn’t been for while even though I’m still serving what’s left- I don’t think I’ll buy it again. He likes to throw them. The zupreem is loosing favour too so I just purchased a bag of Murphy’s to try.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Burt is not eating the Harrison’s anymore, hasn’t been for while even though I’m still serving what’s left- I don’t think I’ll buy it again. He likes to throw them. The zupreem is loosing favour too so I just purchased a bag of Murphy’s to try.
Ripley is doing good with Zupreem fruity still, except purple is apparently no longer edible (used to be his favorite) and green is hit or miss :lol:

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
so I just purchased a bag of Murphy’s to try.
Can you let me know yours (and the birds) thoughts when you get it? I really wasn't happy with the bag I got, so am curious.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Can you let me know yours (and the birds) thoughts when you get it? I really wasn't happy with the bag I got, so am curious.
Will try to remember

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
My budgies are currently on Vetafarm and Quarter is on Passwell and Vetafarm.
As of today the budgies will also be getting Peckish again. I finally found another place that sells the bigger bags!

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've managed to get Jeff and Mabel onto Versele Laga (budgie sized!) which is a miracle because getting Harrisons in Europe was costing me a fortune.

Although they will not eat the yucky orange ones :rolleyes:

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
I've managed to get Jeff and Mabel onto Versele Laga (budgie sized!) which is a miracle because getting Harrisons in Europe was costing me a fortune.

Although they will not eat the yucky orange ones :rolleyes:
Which ones are you using?

Aidenwb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Aiden Brick
My Senegal loves both Harrison’s lifetime coarse and Hari/Hagen tropican sticks so he has a dish of both in his cage and goes back and forth between the two. He seems to prefer it that way and it makes me feel better knowing that there’s 2 brands he regularly eats in case one or the other has a shortage.

Last edited:

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
Ripley is doing good with Zupreem fruity still, except purple is apparently no longer edible (used to be his favorite) and green is hit or miss :lol:
I remember when I fed Zupreem how some flavors would be the favorite and then hated the next.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
[/QUOTE]
Good to know :) Part of the reason I'm feeding it is because of the higher fat content :lol:
She recommends 8% for cockatiels, I believe...not sure if that translates to Amazons.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

She recommends 8% for cockatiels, I believe...not sure if that translates to Amazons.
[/QUOTE]

Ripley is a Jardine's but he's chronically thin and needs the extra calories :)

SunTruth

My Senegal loves both Harrison’s lifetime coarse and Hari/Hagen tropican sticks so he has a dish of both in his cage and goes back and forth between the two. He seems to prefer it that way and it makes me feel better knowing that there’s 2 brands he regularly eats in case one or the other has a shortage.
How did you manage to get him eat these brands?

Khizz

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh thank you! Was it difficult to get your bird interested in these?
It wasn't actually! They'd been on Harrison's for a while, but they were still a bit picky with it. Then I tried these and they much preferred them. They only started really eating pellets though when I went down to budgie-sized pellets (they are cockatiels). So if you're having difficulties you could always try a size down.

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gigi happily eats Roudybush. She started out on crumbles, but a few years ago I switched to mini. She takes each pellet, dips it really quickly in water, and then breaks the pieces up balancing them along a perch. Then she eats one by one. Sometimes this even involves flying the wet pellet to the highest perch. It's really so funny and time consuming.

SunTruth

It wasn't actually! They'd been on Harrison's for a while, but they were still a bit picky with it. Then I tried these and they much preferred them. They only started really eating pellets though when I went down to budgie-sized pellets (they are cockatiels). So if you're having difficulties you could always try a size down.
Thank you! I tried the harrisson coarse with my Senegal but he has no interest in it. I went with Tropican small size (4mm) and apparently he prefers these ones. But I would be happy to find another brand he likes and I can get so I was thinking about trying either the nutribird g14 or p15 (apparently these are the size that would correspond to him but I am not sure).

Wally&Eva

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Carol
Getting ready to start introducing pellets to my babies, as he is starting to show interest at picking at the dried food or stuff on the bottom. Eva not so much. I just ordered the roudybush crumbles. At this age, they are so afraid of everything and come running to me. It’s adorable