• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What pellet(s) are you feeding? (Summer 2022)

What pellet(s) are you feeding?

• All Living Things

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • Caitec

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • FM Brown's

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Goldenfeast

• Hagen/Hari

Votes: 10 15.9%
  • Harrison's

Votes: 25 39.7%
  • Higgins

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Kaytee

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Lafeber

Votes: 7 11.1%
  • Mazuri

• Pretty Bird

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Psittacus

Votes: 5 7.9%
  • Roudybush

Votes: 15 23.8%
  • Scenic

• TOPs

Votes: 11 17.5%
  • Versele-Laga

• Zupreem

Votes: 21 33.3%
  • Other (Post Below)

• I don't feed any pellet

• Vetafarm

• Passwell

• Trill

• Total voters

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My dog food group does a poll 1-2 times a year just to see what food brands are currently popular. Thought it might be fun to do one on for bird pellets!

I am posting just the brand names, not specific formulas. Choose as many as you currently feed :) If I forgot something, let me know!

Also, this is not the place to argue about what people are feeding. ;) No one likes a pet food shamer!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Ripley is currently eating Zupreem Fruity and slowly starting to eat Psittacus High Energy :)

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
My budgies are currently on Vetafarm and Quarter is on Passwell and Vetafarm.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My budgies are currently on Vetafarm and Quarter is on Passwell and Vetafarm.
I added Vetafarm and Passwell to the list. To be honest I dont know why I didnt add Vetafarm because I fully intended to include it :lol:

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Marley and Lucky will only eat zupreem naturals no matter how many times i try to switch them. River was on TOPs, currently switching her to Harrison's, Rocky and Scooby are on Zupreem fruity blend but I am switching them to Harrison's, Basil and Mel do not eat pellets.

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Jengo (CAG) has been on Pretty Bird African Special since we got her 23 years ago.

Jasmine (U2) Has been on Zupreem Natural for 23 years.

JaKhu (B&G Macaw age 2) gets Zupreem Veggie Blend or Fruity Blend. The parrot store had her on Roudybush, which she refuses to eat now.

They all get some seed mix, nuts & fresh veggies daily, plus & a little fruit now & then.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Thought it might be fun to do one on for bird pellets!
An interesting idea! :)

No one likes a pet food shamer!
:iagree:

Vetafarm because I fully intended to include it
I would think that´s a popular choice in Aus.

I would like to try zupreem fruity but for some reasons it is not available in europe apparently.
Oh wow. I read this and was thinking it´s not right because I have seen it for sale here. But I checked and all the places that used to stock it have removed it from their catalogues. I wonder why? :(

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
My first parrot would only eat one brand of pellets. After a recall or shortage ( this was years ago before covid) I swore my future parrots would not be so picky.

So now my flock will eat most. I keep 2 or more brands on hand than rotate out what brand I buy next. This definitely came in handy when covid shortages stuck.

I serve each brand in their own bowl. Having a flock that group feeds, and fear of missing out , or monkey see monkey do , probably the reason I don't have picky pellet eaters.

The biggest surprise to me was the budgies!! They eat all the pellet brands too!!! On bigger pellets they eat the crumbs left in the bowls ..completely unexpected ( at least at to me)

SunTruth

Sprinting down the street
My first parrot would only eat one brand of pellets. After a recall or shortage ( this was years ago before covid) I swore my future parrots would not be so picky.

So now my flock will eat most. I keep 2 or more brands on hand than rotate out what brand I buy next. This definitely came in handy when covid shortages stuck.

I serve each brand in their own bowl. Having a flock that group feeds, and fear of missing out , or monkey see monkey do , probably the reason I don't have picky pellet eaters.

The biggest surprise to me was the budgies!! They eat all the pellet brands too!!! On bigger pellets they eat the crumbs left in the bowls ..completely unexpected ( at least at to me)
Shortage are something to think about sadly these days, so it makes sense to try to get parrots used to several brands. While I am saying that mine is not even interested in a single brand :)

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Shortage are something to think about sadly these days, so it makes sense to try to get parrots used to several brands. While I am saying that mine is not even interested in a single brand :)
I feel you , and I snorted when I read that.

If you had a bunch of flying food raiders it would be so much simpler.
I hate waste , so I've taken the days leftovers and mixed in scramble eggs, oatmeal, put in with quinoa and veg mix, parrot muffins, little yogurt. If those are things you haven't tried, maybe will help

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Bebe gets Zupreem Pasta blend and Hagen's tropimix. Plus seeds minus sunflower seeds

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
so it makes sense to try to get parrots used to several brands.
My birds eat two brands because I struggled to get Hagen Tropican in the past, so I gave Psittacus a go and they liked it. Handy for me to have two options. I continued to feed Hagen as it was a lot cheaper. We tried Tropimix one time but it was more expensive and my birds did not appreciate the dried fruits and other stuff in the mix.
Recently Tropican prices have been steeply rising, and now it´s almost cheaper for me to get Psittacus, so maybe next time, I´ll be buying that instead.

SunTruth

My birds eat two brands because I struggled to get Hagen Tropican in the past, so I gave Psittacus a go and they liked it. Handy for me to have two options. I continued to feed Hagen as it was a lot cheaper. We tried Tropimix one time but it was more expensive and my birds did not appreciate the dried fruits and other stuff in the mix.
Recently Tropican prices have been steeply rising, and now it´s almost cheaper for me to get Psittacus, so maybe next time, I´ll be buying that instead.
Yes as all of the other prices are rising pellets are rising too.

SunTruth

I feel you , and I snorted when I read that.

If you had a bunch of flying food raiders it would be so much simpler.
I hate waste , so I've taken the days leftovers and mixed in scramble eggs, oatmeal, put in with quinoa and veg mix, parrot muffins, little yogurt. If those are things you haven't tried, maybe will help
Well I also give him vegetable and fruits and also tropimix (not sure it qualify as pellets). It is not perfect of course but it is the best I can do. If it was up to him he would only eats what I eat.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I feed my birds roudybush, Oven Fresh Bites, and some AviCakes and Nutriberries. They also get seeds, veggies, sprouts, and bird bread.

hockeymomwood

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ellen

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
For pellets, my crew only reliably eats ZuPreem FruitBlend in the Parrot & Conures size (this size works for all their beaks), and they all leave the purple balls because... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ...they hurt the most when stepped on?

I'm always buying ZuPreem+r where r is a random option, so I selected a few items in your poll.

I'm in the Canadian market if that matters.

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I feed my fellows Tops, Harrison’s Pepper, and Zupreem Natural. I just now did a little search because I was curious about some of the other pellets. I happened upon this. Sort of interesting; for what it’s worth. . 8 Best Parrot Pellets of 2022 - Reviews & Top Picks | Pet Keen
I compiled this list :) Pellets for Parrots

That being said, I feel that ingredients are the least important part of the picture. Whether the food is something my bird eats, does well on, and fits my budget are far more important to me. :)