• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What parrot to get!

Riyam

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Riyam
Yes, they'll want to fly, rejecting you or not. Problem is they just wont return.
They come back through the bond, and even a bond does not necessarily mean a safe return.
I've known several parrots who loved their people, yet still flew too far, too fast, and got lost.
Some luckily were found days/weeks later. Others not so lucky.

And harness training is not that easy.
My macaw would tolerate it, until he wouldn't.
Our last fight over that harness was bad. Much blood, mine. I lost.
Yikes. You’d think birds could find their way back but not always. Note taken.

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
Yikes. You’d think birds could find their way back but not always. Note taken.
They'd possibly find their way back, but only if they had a reason. If they don't get much interaction and have found a food source elsewhere, why would they bother coming back?

Riyam

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Riyam
They'd possibly find their way back, but only if they had a reason. If they don't get much interaction and have found a food source elsewhere, why would they bother coming back?
Yh makes sense. I would love to harness train them so they can take advantage of the easy access of large space they have to fly. I think when the time comes I’ll find out if that is possible. Hope so.
But i guess free flying is dangerous anyway because there are many obstacles.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
No Alistair, they won't find a food source, these are pet birds that eat out of a dish.
They have no idea what plants are safe or unsafe. What berries are available, nor where to find them.
Most escaped parrots starve, or are eaten by predators animals.
Very few survive, a few that may join another flock, will have a chance in a temperate climate.

And most birds have no idea of the surrounding area. How would they find a way back?
I'm not saying it can't happen, in fact I'm pretty sure most escaped birds want to return home to safety and food, it just doesn't happen. :(

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
No Alistair, they won't find a food source, these are pet birds that eat out of a dish.
They have no idea what plants are safe or unsafe. What berries are available, nor where to find them.
Most escaped parrots starve, or are eaten by predators animals.
Very few survive, a few that may join another flock, will have a chance in a temperate climate.

And most birds have no idea of the surrounding area. How would they find a way back?
I'm not saying it can't happen, in fact I'm pretty sure most escaped birds want to return home to safety and food, it just doesn't happen. :(
I mean bird feeders etc.... not wild food sources. Otherwise explain all the feral parrot populations a cross the world comprised of escaped oets?they seem to be doing great.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here you go. This site is by Chris Biro, who has free flown for many years and is considered one of the best (now). This site has just about all of the information you will need to make a decision on free flying or not. Yes, you can start a bird in free flying training on a harness and line. I flew my female GW on a harness and line for three years. As a matter of fact every falconer starts their bird in this manner.

Macaws/Cockatoos are the easiest to train to free fly and the safest, due to their size and bright easy to see colors. Don't ever think otherwise, but there are dangers in free flying, birds fly away and get lost - don't come back, become exhausted and land and are taken by a predator or die of starvation and dehydration, predator birds are always there and always ready for a meal of parrot.

HeatherD

Meeting neighbors
I would recommend that you visit breeders or parrot stores if possible to meet the birds and see if one "picks" you. My best experience with a bird was my ringneck that decided she liked me before I ever took her home.

Other than that, you might want to google different bird scream sounds to be sure you and your neighbors would be okay with it, check special diet requirements (eclectus in particular), and check into specific personalities to be sure you can handle them if you are looking at large birds (i.e. amazon aggression, macaw lunging). Good luck!

PufF

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Sam Chan
I agree with the bird picking you. I visit an Amazon (avatar bird aka Puff) about 3 times a week which might sound close enough to what you want to do (pay visits instead of having them at your home). He picked me for the most part and I do believe that that is part of the reason why our bond stays. When I visit him I’ll give him scritches or talk to him (direct attention) or stay with him doing my own things but giving him eye contact once in a while to acknowledge him (indirect attention) .
With bonded birds however it will be very different as like previously mentioned by other members, they would almost definitely prefer the other over you.
Anyways, good luck!

Riyam

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Riyam
I'm noticing caiques are more of my style. Out of curiosity do they also have the issue of losing their tameness when they bond with each other? Also, are they needy attention-whise?

Reactions: Ali

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Riyam

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Riyam
Do they rip up wood? I am deciding if with a bit of rearrangement i should place them in my grandfather's pigeon aviary at home which has wooden nesting boxes.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Do they rip up wood? I am deciding if with a bit of rearrangement i should place them in my grandfather's pigeon aviary at home which has wooden nesting boxes.
Oh yes. Most parrots do.

Riyam

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Riyam
I have decided to get caiques in 2 years, (when I’m out of uni) so I can set up their aviary or cage in my house and keep them safe during the harsh seasons. There is no getting around cold winters... (it does get cold in the winter even though it’s the desert. Nights can drop to 8 degrees Celsius)

Thanks for all your help guys.