• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What paperwork should a bird have?

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hi,
I am getting a GCC on monday from a lady that says she breeds bird in a family environment. I was wondering what paperwork the bird is supposed to come with? Are leg bands, birth certificate important?
Thanks

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The very most important documentation you need to get is a "Bill of Sale" with the birds leg band ID on it. Nice to have a certificate of birth, but the Bill of Sales is most important.

Also IMPORTANT, is documentation of any veterinarian activity with the bird.

ZY28

Strolling the yard
The very most important documentation you need to get is a "Bill of Sale" with the birds leg band ID on it. Nice to have a certificate of birth, but the Bill of Sales is most important.

Also IMPORTANT, is documentation of any veterinarian activity with the bird.
Ok thanks but what if the bird does not have a leg band?

Craftydan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Dan Crews
Leg bands are not required everywhere in the US, and while they're *nice* for connecting the bird to the paperwork (and proving "ownership") that's pretty close to where the utility ends. There are ethical/safety concerns with bands, so they're not without their downsides. I'll let others argue for/against, if they like, but I wouldn't say it's a red-flag if a breeder does/doesn't use them. In those cases usually a short description of the bird on the BoS -- breed, coloration, defining marks -- suffices.

The Bill of Sale is the critical document, both on your side and theirs -- not only does it document the bird is yours, but they have to register the sales with their state licensing and the USFWS, who track such sales from breeders and vendors. The state is primarily tracking for tax reasons, but USFWS is tracking to ensure they aren't imported . . . which would be bad. If I needed to remind a vendor/"breeder" of a BoS, if the response is reflexive, they just forgot the detail -- no big deal. If they backpedal ANY, or say you don't really need it, take your money and WALK AWAY. Liekly you wont' have any problem with this.

I'll agree, Vet documents are a VERY GOOD to have -- you will likely have to ask. A good breeder will have them (though it may just be one checkup if all has gone smoothly with your little one), and it cost them next to nothing to pass the info along.

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Leg bands are not required everywhere in the US, and while they're *nice* for connecting the bird to the paperwork (and proving "ownership") that's pretty close to where the utility ends. There are ethical/safety concerns with bands, so they're not without their downsides. I'll let others argue for/against, if they like, but I wouldn't say it's a red-flag if a breeder does/doesn't use them. In those cases usually a short description of the bird on the BoS -- breed, coloration, defining marks -- suffices.

The Bill of Sale is the critical document, both on your side and theirs -- not only does it document the bird is yours, but they have to register the sales with their state licensing and the USFWS, who track such sales from breeders and vendors. The state is primarily tracking for tax reasons, but USFWS is tracking to ensure they aren't imported . . . which would be bad. If I needed to remind a vendor/"breeder" of a BoS, if the response is reflexive, they just forgot the detail -- no big deal. If they backpedal ANY, or say you don't really need it, take your money and WALK AWAY. Liekly you wont' have any problem with this.

I'll agree, Vet documents are a VERY GOOD to have -- you will likely have to ask. A good breeder will have them (though it may just be one checkup if all has gone smoothly with your little one), and it cost them next to nothing to pass the info along.
Ok thanks a lot!

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The first thing I do when I get a new macaw is remove the leg bands - they are too dangerous for such a large, active and strong bird.