• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What? Okay...

Hailey S

Meeting neighbors
Not an emergency, but Jolly is seriously just... he's a handful. Love him to the moon and back, but cockatoos are definitely unlike any large bird I've owned.
His poops are still loose around 2 or 3 weeks later but go back and forth between normal and slightly watery. We haven't raised a ton of concern because hes gone about his normal life and behavior and eating habits, plus he's still molting.
Today he got super excited and was climbing all over and bouncing around. Little outburst more than usual but just before bed he gets antsy since around 10 is his cutoff time to go to his cage and calm down. He got in his cage and was climbing upside down, bobbing his head, talking up a storm. He climbed upside down... and then vomited. It didn't look partially digested like a regurgitation. It was liquidy (then again he's back to some baby food in the evening) but he didnt shake his head violently. He just sortve watched it drop and then took my word for it when I told him to calm it down a bit.
I read somewhere that if they get way over stimulated or excited that they can puke. Hoping this isn't a massive issue cause as long as it isnt... I find it mildly amusing; like a child who gets way too excited. Cockatoos are super strange (he's back to waddling around and talking and he's getting too antsy again. Probably gonna need to go calm him down. He does not like pre-bed time ritual. If he could stay awake forever, he would).

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
What is his daily diet?

Are you sure it was vomit? Could it have been regurgitation?

I ask because if it was vomit I would suggest a vet trip asap with the loose stools you mention having for 2 to 3 weeks.

When my birds eat certain foods I can see a difference in water content of the poops soon after- I am wondering if this is what you are seeing or if it is something more concerning.

Not sure what time you get your bird up in the morning, 10pm is very late for a bird to be going to bed. A good sleep routine is seriously important for birds- not enough sleep can affect so much

Hailey S

Meeting neighbors
What is his daily diet?

Are you sure it was vomit? Could it have been regurgitation?

I ask because if it was vomit I would suggest a vet trip asap with the loose stools you mention having for 2 to 3 weeks.

When my birds eat certain foods I can see a difference in water content of the poops soon after- I am wondering if this is what you are seeing or if it is something more concerning.

Not sure what time you get your bird up in the morning, 10pm is very late for a bird to be going to bed. A good sleep routine is seriously important for birds- not enough sleep can affect so much
Daily diet is a little bit of everything. A seed, nut, pellet and dried fruit hookbill bag of food is his main diet. Daily he gets some veggies too. He isn't huge on fresh fruit but occasionally gets berries now and then. If he wants in the morning I give him a small taste of his Exact baby bird food (he hasn't lately... just in the evening). Maybe once every other week he gets sweet potatoes cause he isn't nuts about them but likes them as occasional snack.
The vet told me to put him on probiotic but if he's eating and drinking that he doesn't see a huge issue... he hates the probiotic and won't eat it no matter what I put it in. Water, food, treats... tried it all and he hates it. The baby bird food has probiotics in it... not a lot but some.
I am a partial insomniac in the winter. Tried putting him to bed early but he INSISTS on being up when I have my spells which is a couple times a week.
Not sure about regurgitation or vomit. He didn't seem very disturbed by it... just watched it drop and then carried on. No head shakes no nothing. Not really even a sign of discomfort honestly.