• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What Number is your limit for owning Birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty
Speaking of hoarding, I am watching the show "Hoarding" and there is a woman who currently has 57 birds different species. She has them living in nasty cages on top of piles of stuff.

Her husband broke his hip, I think it was 3 years ago, he hasn't been back in the house and their son can't stand the birds and wants her to get rid of them.

The birds were taken to the vet clinic to be checked I can't wait to hear about them.

I have a feeling that once the episode is over and things fall back into place, she is going to start the process over again.

Right now my limit is 3.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
I am homeschooled and next year is my last year, but with school and every day life, I can't handle any more fids than I already have. I have a routine with my flock that works out so that I can give all of them attention, etc. If I did not have a routine I would be lost. I am not planning to go to college (want to be a vet tech and you don't have to go to college for that, only a 2 year trade school).

Cory

Real Name
Cory
I agree with you. And, IMO, when any of them are neglected, as in not getting enough one-on-one attention, then that's "too many" (hoarding is a different matter; it is a psychological disorder that involves gross neglect and a pathological lack of empathy for the animals, and it becomes actual hoarding when it becomes overcrowded, dirty and unhealthy. It is hoarding if the animals are suffering in any way).

But, IMO it can still be "too many" even when it's not hoarding, and that's more subtle and hard to pin down. To me, "too many" involves psychological neglect, lack of toys, lack of proper dietary variety and health care monitoring, just general slackness in individual care caused by the caretaker being spread too thin. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that if the birds are more "possessions" or "collectibles" in any sense, and not "beings" or "individuals," then that's "too many" even if they have food and clean cage trays. IMO "too many" is often a function of "collecting." I don't regard birds as collectible items, but some people seem to. They will get a bird because even though they have plenty, they wanted a p'let or a quaker, or even a macaw, of another color. To me, birds (especially the larger species) are more like kids, and you don't have a kid because you're hoping it'll be blonde or have green eyes (hopefully). I'm not saying all households with multiple birds are bad. If they're getting plenty of attention and toys and health care, then a multi-bird household is fine. But, I do not like to see households where the birds seldom leave the cage because there are too many for the caretaker to manage and monitor.

If I'm totally honest, with six, I find that there's usually someone who didn't get as much attention during the day as the others. Someone always seems to come up a little short. And, to me, that's not right. Even my little guys love attention. Corbit loves to sit on my shoulder and say "hi sweetheart;" he loves when I handfeed him millet and tell him what a good boy he is. He loves kisses. I don't want to be the person who doesn't do that for him because she got a bunch of larger birds and so he got shunted aside. IMO, none of them can reach their full potential if they're not getting some attention, even the hands-off birds. Even those birds need proper monitoring and proper care. They need toys and supplies, and they need dietary variety, etc. All that takes time. If you stop and say, "in all honesty, what would this bird's life be like if he were my only one?" and if you know the answer is drastically different from the way his life is now, well, then that's "too many."

So, six is my limit. Proper cleaning, diet and health care, and interaction, would suffer far too much in my estimation if I had more. And that's not even considering the expense, which is always an issue--especially the vet bills.
That was very well said Holiday! I totally agree with everything that you said. :)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I feel like I'm approching my limit, at least for a while.

I am very close to adding a 6th one; however, this will be done after I bring the bird to the vet and make sure it's healthy. No risking making my other birds sick.

My biggest fear when adding a new bird has always been that it will destroy the existing harmony; so far, everything has been going ok, even when I got Petey who doesn't necessarily get along with the others.

Sharon

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Sharon
I agree with you. And, IMO, when any of them are neglected, as in not getting enough one-on-one attention, then that's "too many" (hoarding is a different matter; it is a psychological disorder that involves gross neglect and a pathological lack of empathy for the animals, and it becomes actual hoarding when it becomes overcrowded, dirty and unhealthy. It is hoarding if the animals are suffering in any way).

But, IMO it can still be "too many" even when it's not hoarding, and that's more subtle and hard to pin down. To me, "too many" involves psychological neglect, lack of toys, lack of proper dietary variety and health care monitoring, just general slackness in individual care caused by the caretaker being spread too thin. I'm also going to go out on a limb and say that if the birds are more "possessions" or "collectibles" in any sense, and not "beings" or "individuals," then that's "too many" even if they have food and clean cage trays. IMO "too many" is often a function of "collecting." I don't regard birds as collectible items, but some people seem to. They will get a bird because even though they have plenty, they wanted a p'let or a quaker, or even a macaw, of another color. To me, birds (especially the larger species) are more like kids, and you don't have a kid because you're hoping it'll be blonde or have green eyes (hopefully). I'm not saying all households with multiple birds are bad. If they're getting plenty of attention and toys and health care, then a multi-bird household is fine. But, I do not like to see households where the birds seldom leave the cage because there are too many for the caretaker to manage and monitor.

If I'm totally honest, with six, I find that there's usually someone who didn't get as much attention during the day as the others. Someone always seems to come up a little short. And, to me, that's not right. Even my little guys love attention. Corbit loves to sit on my shoulder and say "hi sweetheart;" he loves when I handfeed him millet and tell him what a good boy he is. He loves kisses. I don't want to be the person who doesn't do that for him because she got a bunch of larger birds and so he got shunted aside. IMO, none of them can reach their full potential if they're not getting some attention, even the hands-off birds. Even those birds need proper monitoring and proper care. They need toys and supplies, and they need dietary variety, etc. All that takes time. If you stop and say, "in all honesty, what would this bird's life be like if he were my only one?" and if you know the answer is drastically different from the way his life is now, well, then that's "too many."

So, six is my limit. Proper cleaning, diet and health care, and interaction, would suffer far too much in my estimation if I had more. And that's not even considering the expense, which is always an issue--especially the vet bills.

After reading that, I'm starting to think my four should be my limit. I do want to experience a "bigger", more interactive bird, and have been considering a YNA, but the lives of my little ones would be much affected...especially their time out. Maybe instead of thinking what I would like, I should shift my thinking to what's best for the current situation.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mine is just Hiram for now.I wish I could do more but not right now.

magni

Hit the Road
Real Name
Denise
I dont think there is any one magic number. It depends on the caretaker(s) and the type of birds and how they are housed for their needs. Someone could have a gorgeous aviary with 20 cockatiels that get better care than someone with just 1 or 2 parrots that dont get enough attention, cleaning, toys, etc.[/QUO

I agree:hug8:

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I am at my limit currently for several reasons. First is time, I'm working a lot right now. I keep my bird room pretty clean, I prepare a good diet for them, they are out of their cages most of the day, but I am not able to spend a lot of one on one time with Kei (the little guys would prefer not to have any contact with me). Kei is very independent so he can entertain himself and if he at least gets scritches a few times a day or rides on me when I'm doing chores or getting ready, he's satisfied.
Another factor is money. Right now I have enough save that I am confident I could pay vet bills. Maddie's vet bills ended up being almost $600 and I could pay that comfortably and still have enough for food, toys, etc plus extra money in savings in case any of my other birds got sick. I'd probably have to get a loan if any of my guys needed surgery or vet bills went over $1000 but for the most part I think I'm pretty stable financially.
One other factor is the fact that I will be moving shortly. I don't want to put any more birds through the stress of moving. After I'm settled in, have a good job, etc then I would like to get another pionus but that will be my last bird for a while. I have to be out of college, have a good job, my own home, some time, and then I will start expanding my flock. :)

Last edited:

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I want to bring on the one-on-one.

To be franc, one of my birds does not get as much one-on-one...but it's his choice. He chooses to play with toys more than be with us and quite frankly, I won't force myself. I guess he gets what he wants (I surely don't back down when he wants to be close), but it's definitively not as much one-on-one as others get.

I also have to say that I'm thankful for my boyfriend; he helps a lot with tasks related to the birds. He's part of the reason I feel comfortable having as many as I have, I surely wouldn't be at this point without him. However, if we did break-up, I wouldn't give any up, I would just change some things and he would probably bring Petey along (he is definitvely his bird).

logo89

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Logan

That is very well said and I couldn't agree more.

As of right now 1 is my limit I don't feel like I could emotionally or finacially support another bird with out giving Lucy and the new fid less than adequate care. Once my life does get stabalized and I am out of school I would like to add another large bird but only if I feel like I could handle it.

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
Some of my birds don't like much 1 on 1 time or are happy with friends. But Sammy and Kiwi need 1 on 1 time each day. Mango and Pepper are pretty happy by themselves, they like to snuggle a few times a week but not every day. My flock gets out every day almost all day long.

lovemybirds

Strolling the yard
I have 4 and one on the way. I also might be getting 2 more. that would be 7 but we also have 7 humans in the house and I am home all day so they are clean and happy and played with often. I think too many is when you cant care for them properly and this number will differ between people. As long as they get attention daily, have proper diet, and you can cover vet bills or have a plan to if something happens all is good.

lovemybirds

Strolling the yard
Some of my birds don't like much 1 on 1 time or are happy with friends. But Sammy and Kiwi need 1 on 1 time each day. Mango and Pepper are pretty happy by themselves, they like to snuggle a few times a week but not every day. My flock gets out every day almost all day long.
Ozzy is like that he just likes to come out and be talked to he would rather not be touched (he is still new to us so that may change)

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I am totally at my limit. I have 5. But my five consists of a sexually mature, aggressive male GW macaw and a not sexually mature yet, male B&G. That is a handful and a half. I could probably have more in numbers if I did not have the bigger species, KWIM?

Status
Not open for further replies.