• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What mutations were my old budgies?

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
I found some old photos dated back to around 2009-2011 of some of the budgies I used to have. As I tend to second guess myself, I want to double-check that I have their mutations right or if I'm missing mutations they have listed further down the text of this post.

Before I get any flak for the photos, these pictures were taken when I used to be a teen a decade ago living with my controlling parents who ignored my complaints on getting safer toys, better perches, putting the cage in a better location, and etc. for my budgies, and they didn't know any better about how to take care of birds which stressed me out. I unfortunately lost the recessive pied who flew away from an accident, and lost the dilute to a tumor. I would've given them better treatment and care as I do for all my birds if I was able to back then, and miss them dearly.

For the mutations:

• Soul: Recessive Pied / Sky Blue / Cinnamon Split(?)
    • Black markings have a tinge of dark brown to them
    • Only one throat spot on left side of face

• Spirit: Dilute or Greywing(?) / Cobalt or Violet(?)
    • Faint blue body color on some of the grey markings on head and back
    • Rump body color stronger than front body color

I only put in the thumbnails to make the post less cluttered. Clicking on the images would enlarge them. I can also post the full-sized images if it makes it easier to identify the mutations.

oldpic1.jpg
oldpic1.jpg
oldpic2.jpg
HNI_0032.JPG
102_0252.JPG
HNI_0019.JPG
HNI_0020.JPG
HNI_0017.JPG
HNI_0021.JPG

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
one was a recessive pied the other was a greywing

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
@Budgiebonkers How do you tell the difference between a greywing and a dilute? Because the two mutations are very similar.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Soul: Sky Blue, Recessive pied. No Cinnamon. Females can not be split to cinnamon, since it is a sex linked gene. If a female carries the cinnamon gene, it will show up visually.

Spirit: Sky Blue, Greywing. Greywing will dilute the body colour, that's why some people get it confused with dilute. Her wing markings are too strong to be dilute, and her cheek patches are darker than what a dilute would be.

BlueJay

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jay
@PoukieBear Spirit is definitely not sky blue. She has at least one dark factor. I used to have another greywing blue budgie way back then who had a lighter blue than she had, and there was a clear difference when the two were side by side together. Unfortunately, I don't have any photos of the other budgie before the bird passed away over a decade ago.