• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What mutation is this?

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Lovely/...name eludes me at the moment somewhat spangle but very pronounced/

Last edited:

Davi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Davi
How beautiful! :heart:

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Thanks. Is this a “rainbow” budgie?
Some would refer to them as rainbows, but I don't consider them rainbows unless they show a little visible pink.

PoukieBear

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Thanks. Is this a “rainbow” budgie?
Almost! Rainbow budgies should not be spangle. A true rainbow will be a clearwing, although some will also say that a greywing could also be a rainbow. Honestly, I forget if greywings are accepted in the competition ring under the rainbow category.

Some would refer to them as rainbows, but I don't consider them rainbows unless they show a little visible pink.
Fun fact ! Budgies actually lack the pigmentation for pink, orange, and red. You'll never actually see a pink budgie unless it's been artificially coloured (UGH!)

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Fun fact ! Budgies actually lack the pigmentation for pink, orange, and red. You'll never actually see a pink budgie unless it's been artificially coloured (UGH!)
I've seen 3 in all my time. One, a female, stayed with me through a moult and retained the pink though in a slightly different area. It's not about pigment, it's about a slight genetic mutation that makes some feathers bend the light somehow. Without a direct light source or a camera flash you don't see it. I didn't have a digital camera back then so no pics other than those in my memory. In all three birds the feathers were on the lower back. Can affect males too but only females can pass it on.
But I agree a lot of sad peeps have coloured the feathers themselves to dupe buyers or make pretty photos. I blame social media and greed for that

Last edited: