• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What mosquito repellent can i wear around my Amazon?

Bitesize91

Meeting neighbors
Hi everyone! I adopted Sweet Pea back in November when mosquitos aren't really out and about in South Texas. Now that summer is on its way, what mosquito repellent is safe to use on myself and wear around Sweet Pea? Currently, we use the deet-free Cutter brand, with Lemon/Eucalyptus, but its a pretty strong smell still. We don't spray it inside with him or anything, I just worry about residual smells from it being on me since we spend a lot of time in our living room, where his cage is. He loves interacting with people, too, so I'll being washing my hands before aaking him to step up or anything.

Better suggestions are appreciated!

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole
Hi and welcome!

I don't know what type of spray is safe.

But have you considered the bracelets or the clip on devices? That way it won't be sprayed directly on you or your clothes and you can remove when you come inside.

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have used wondercide & cedarcide products on myself and the dogs without an issue with Casey.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have used wondercide & cedarcide products on myself and the dogs without an issue with Casey.
Might be a good idea to look more into this, I personally would not allow anything with cedar oil in it near my birds... Cedar oil is a serious irritant to birds and in the right doses will kill them as far as I know.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Mozzie zappers work quite well if you get a well known and recommended brand. The less of them in your yard the less you get in the house or on you etc.

Most sprays/lotions/burning things that repel mozzies are made from harmful chemicals or certain essential oils- as both are terribly dangerous/deadly to use around birds I just opt for wearing loose fitting long sleeved clothing to cover as much of me as possible (also helps to guard from the sun).

I make sure there are as many mozzie eating critters and insects as possible by making my outdoor environment very inviting for them (think of wildlife that likes to consume mozzies- bats, frogs, lizards, fish and dragon flies are a few) and I also try to limit any sitting water (plant pots, dog water bowls-change daily, puddles etc) or moist/damp areas the mozzies might be attracted to. There are many plants you can also use to keep your garden uninviting to mozzies which helps to limit their presence in the house.

If I really had to use something to keep from being mozzie eaten then I would go with the removable bands, stickers or clip ons as mentioned above by @Nichole615

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Might be a good idea to look more into this, I personally would not allow anything with cedar oil in it near my birds... Cedar oil is a serious irritant to birds and in the right doses will kill them as far as I know.
Yeah, I have looked into it before.
I remember reading of someone whose birds died when they used a cedar plank in the oven (when cooking fish).

These cedar products are diluted - and compared to a lot of other repellents - are not strong smelling. So I am comfortable using them when outside the house.

1652740795477.png

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue :)

Honestly, I find the best thing to deal with mosquitos is a flip flop or slipper.
Fitting windows with mosquito nets is a huge help, as are curtains for open doorways (you can get some that are magnetic so don´t move in the wind if you like leaving your doors open).
Planting citronella type plants like lemon grass outside near doors and windows will also help deter.
So those mosquitos have to pass the plants, and squeeze through nets, to actually get inside. Most won´t, but for the odd one that gets in, splat it with something. No chemicals needed :)

Bitesize91

Meeting neighbors
You guys all have some great suggestions! Thank you so much! I'm always terrified I'm going to use something that will harm his little respiratory system or worse, kill him. It's nice to see what other people are doing and using!