• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What might I get from these two?

Tink65

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Sandra Gould
I have this WF male and a Pearl hen I paired. What chicks are possible from these two? TIA 20220328_172650.jpg

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
But to answer the question more seriously, WF male and pearl female would probably result in normal coloring offspring.

Do you know if there is any chance that your male is carrying Pearl genetics? When he was younger, was he visibly pearled before his first molt? Do you know if either of his parents were pearls? Or if either of the female's parents were white-faced?

White-faced is a recessive mutation, so both parents must have at least one copy to have visibly white-faced babies.

Pearl is both recessive and sex-linked, so the dad has to have at least one copy for any of the babies to be visibly pearl. The mom can't pass pearl to female offspring.

Combine those two birds together, and the most likely outcome is girls split to white-faced and boys split to white-faced and pearl. All babies would have normal coloring with visible mutations.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Pearl is sex-linked... but correct, whiteface plus pearl, with no known splits, would result in all normal colored offspring split whiteface, males split pearl.

Any better pictures of Jack?

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
And also recessive. Unless I am mistaken?

I am confused by this correction. :huh:

It's a dominant mutation in females.... recessive in males.

But it is best described as sex-linked. Not dominant and recessive. Females can *ONLY* carry one gene, so if they have it, they are visual. However, in males, one gene, they are split, two they are visual.

And as long as dad carries the mutation, not mom, then any visuals you get will always be females. If mom carries the mutation and you get visual offspring, then the offspring could be male or female. Males of course would get the second gene from the male.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I see. I've never heard it described that way before.

I've always looked at dominant and recessive from the perspective of what happens when you have two copies of the gene present, not what happens with only one copy. In humans, there are x-linked dominant and x-linked recessive conditions, so I assumed it would work similar in birds.