• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What material should the cookware be to steam vegetables ?

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
So I am trying to steam some vegetables for my bird I have trying giving him raw carrots and he doesn’t want it . I know carrots is super good for them and is full of vitamin A . I just want to be sure what material should I cook them or steam them .

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
How would you cook them for yourself?

As long as you don't use pan with PTFE or PFOA, it's fine.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Teflon can be deadly to our birds..... most of us with birds have thrown our teflon pans away and use SS or some of the other safe options.
You may wish to learn some more about teflon and birds- unfortunately most of the examples are sadly about birds dying very quickly due to the deadly toxic gases that teflon gives off.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Teflon can be deadly to our birds..... most of us with birds have thrown our teflon pans away and use SS or some of the other safe options.
You may wish to learn some more about teflon and birds- unfortunately most of the examples are sadly about birds dying very quickly due to the deadly toxic gases that teflon gives off.
Got it no Teflon it is then , yeah I haven’t used Teflon on him to cook anything and I wanted to be sure before I did that thanks a lot my bird is safe so I will make sure not to cook on Teflon .

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Would that be good to buy to cook for him ? Now searching which ones to buy

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Anything that's 100% stainless steel or PFTE/PFOA free ceramic should be okay.

I would personally not risk buying from Amazon for something as important as this. Too many counterfeits floating around so you can't be 100% sure what you're getting. If you're in the UK I can recommend Harts of Stur for kitchen equipment. If you're not, I'm sure someone else has recommendations.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Thank you that’s a very good point , I was just showing as an example . I don’t buy cookware from Amazon

Last edited:

Pockets

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Stainless steel cookware is excellent and long lasting - perfect for steaming vegetables and all sorts of good stuff.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Yep, and quick and easy. Just don't overcook it or serve it until back down to room temperature. Our birds do not really like carrots unless I mash them up with something they do like.
Ok so aluminum or stainless steel or microwaving is the safest way to steam his vegetables right ?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Microwaved food holds much more if it’s nutrients than foods cooked in any other way.
I do most of Burt’s cooked food in the microwave but I do his sweet potatoes in the oven simply because I’ve found he really prefers them done in their skins in the oven.
Put one microwaved next to an oven cooked one and he will choose the oven cooked sweet potato every time... I have no idea why this is it why it’s only with the sweet potato.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Microwaved food holds much more if it’s nutrients than foods cooked in any other way.
I do most of Burt’s cooked food in the microwave but I do his sweet potatoes in the oven simply because I’ve found he really prefers them done in their skins in the oven.
Put one microwaved next to an oven cooked one and he will choose the oven cooked sweet potato every time... I have no idea why this is it why it’s only with the sweet potato.
I am planing of steaming his carrots tomorrow wish me luck and I hope he eats them fingers crossed . And I will try the sweet potato another time. Awww Burt is so cute

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Update on the carrots no luck he only taste it and then left