• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What makes you "that crazy bird person?" (Open discussion!)

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
That's a really good point. Thanx for bringing that up. I think a lot of people call themselves "crazy bird people" because they're kind of obsessed with birds. Like, we'll turn down a fun get-together or family vacation just to stay with our parrots. A lot of non-bird people would call that "crazy".
Sorry if any of this offended you :(
Oh No! Im not offended by the thread by no means! Please dont take it that way. This is a cute thread and meant to be cute. Im just stating in my experience like for example people I work with say that sort of stuff to me because they know I have birds. This forum/thread and the people of avian avenue never offend me! We are all in same boat on here lol. Im not offened by no means. Avian avenue people are the best for most part in my opinion :)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What if your birds make you crazy? :D

Sometimes I'm crazy because of my birds crazy (1).gif but I'm always crazy about them. feeldaluvsmiley.gif

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I was the crazy snake lady cuz I bred and kept reptiles for 27 yrs..now that the scaled ones are gone I'm the crazy bird lady to my friends since I have parrots and I'm crazy about them..I talk about them all the time and spend way to much money on their diet and enrichment..my sister was here for a couple if weeks and came with me to Costco and the bulk store ..she was amazed at what I bought to make chop and my seed nut mixture ..she just shook her head at me ...but boy did she ever love to hear them talk...

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
Sometimes we do get branded as "crazy bird people" by those people who don't live with birds and don't understand or appreciate birds the way we do. It can be hard for them to understand why we would give up things like cooking with non-stick cookware, wearing jewelry and running ceiling fans. They don't get it when we turn down invitations or when we leave gatherings early because we need to get home to feed the parrots or put them to bed. All that can seem crazy to an outsider.

My brother's nephew once said that they were going to come after me with a net and a strait jacket because before we left to go to dinner, I explained to Ralph and Scooter where I was going and how long I would be gone. Of course, that's standard practice for parrot people but to my brother's nephew it just seemed silly to explain things to birds. After all, how could a couple of parrots know what I was telling them? They don't know about restaurants and they can't tell time. So I was thought of as a crazy bird person. Not for the first time and I'm sure not for the last.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
When my dog Pepper passed, my Dad was sympathetic, but said, "now you can come visit for the weekend".

(it's been single day-trips for a long while -- his presumption was that Pepper was the reason, and that the birds could just be kept in their cages for a few days)

"No Dad, it doesn't work that way".

Last edited:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
When my dog Pepper passed, my Dad was sympathetic, but said, "now you can come visit for the weekend".

(it's been single day-trips for a long while, and his presumption was that the birds could just be kept in their cages for a few days)

"No Dad, it doesn't work that way".
I love being told I can just bring the birds with me- there’s so much I could point out about this not working but it’s easier to say thanks I’ll think about it.

Winn

Jogging around the block
Am I "crazy if I save all the moulted feathers? (Roommate thinks so!)

Maybe I'm a little crazy because I tend to obsessively collect natural wood for perches. I have more than enough to last my flock throughout their natural lives (budgies), but I always seem to find "just one more". :D

My favorite "creation" so far is a grapevine boing. (I have another 20 foot long piece of grapevine I'm in the process of de-barking. I hid that one from the roomie!)

IMG_20220715_181418.jpg IMG_20220715_181757.jpg

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I keep moulted tail feathers & the itty, bitty ones that look like old pens for minis. I think you're perfectly rational. :D

Winn

Jogging around the block
@Winn-- Yup... there's one I've been eying for awhile now [great curves]... except it's 10ft up in the tree!
I keep wondering: "if I trim certain branches as they grow, in 10 years it'll be the shape I want!"
:lol:

Aggie

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
What a great thread!

I guess I never thought I was a crazy bird person until my hubby pointed out so.

For me providing an enriched and fulfilling life for my feathered companion is just what you do when they rely on you.

Apparently others find it strange that I take my parrot for walks, out for meals, in a carrier and away on holidays. Not many people see a parrot camping as normal. And the amount I spend on fruit/veg. At the checkout ppl are shocked that 50% of it is for the bird.

I think i embarrass my hubby, but he does put up with me dragging the parrot around everywhere we go. In fact, Echo is the best travel buddy. So well behaved you can literally take him anywhere. In fact the whole time we've had him he's been away with us on every trip ( thats 2 to 3 trips a year and hes been with us almost 6yrs). We just book pet friendly accommodation. The idea of leaving him with someone else worries me too much. So I guess our holidays are determined by our pets

FYI he has never pooped anywhere he shouldn't have while away. Just shows how much he appreciates being out and about.

Attachments

Quailer2

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mathis Michel
My Parents call me the "Crazy Bird Person" for Changing my birds' food and water dishes everyday..

Kori

Walking the driveway
It's probably all the bird themed accessories I have :p
My husband and one of my friends are enablers too. My husband buys me bird themed gifts for our anniversaries and one of my friends buys me things from Japan's dollar stores like Daiso, Seria etc, which are selling all kinds of parrot goods at the moment!
I have drawn the line at wearing a budgie t-shirt while using my budgie bag though.... then I *definitely* would be a crazy bird lady :wacky:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Japan's dollar stores like Daiso, Seria etc, which are selling all kinds of parrot goods at the moment!
... really.... writing.gif We've got a few Daiso locations around here. I wonder if the U.S. sprees stores have the same stuff!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Evidently my parrots think I'm the crazy bird lady , because I'm no longer allowed to do anything by myself. The flock always assigns a supervisor, or helper.
20220718_163832.jpg