• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What makes IRNs unique?

Mist.N

Meeting neighbors
Hello Avian Avenue! This is my first time posting.
I adopted an juvenile IRN (probably f) about half a year ago.
She's gotten pretty confident and has a lovely and somewhat sassy and stubborn personality. :angelic:

I was wondering what experienced IRN parents think makes them different from other parrots?

Enjoy some pics of my birb!
TYSM! :irngf::heart:
InShot_20230211_180629781.jpg
InShot_20221223_113956294.jpg
InShot_20230202_123007391.jpg

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
:welcometrain:
Your baby is gorgeous!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
:heart2: :welcomegroup: :elefant:

Gorgeous girl! Amazing connection with her!!!

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I adopted a 7yo ringneck 3 months ago so I’m not experienced, but I’ve found that he has the most steady and generally upbeat attitude of any parrot I’ve had or been around. (I have a CAG and had a Meyer’s that passed many years ago.)

He’s never tried to bite once.

I was also shocked by how little dust and dander he produces. It’s way less than my other birds and even a canary I cared for once.

Mist.N

Meeting neighbors
Oh yea, I've read how there's a lot of "dust" during moulting, but I don't think it's that bad. At least not for us.

Thanks for the tags! :heart:

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awwww she's gorgeous!!

I have an African ringneck which seems to be very close to an IRN in most ways.

I personally adore how independent and stubborn they are! I've had Cotton home for 10 months and he still looks at me like I'm a total idiot 99% of the time I try to interact :eek::roflmao: Even the 30+ year old foster birds in my home have decided I'm amazing, but NOPE, Cotton is pretty sure I have no clue and he's right :laugh::roflmao::laugh:

I've always said that Cotton is playing chess while I thought we were playing checkers :cool:

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh I also agree with @MnGuy about temperament - I literally cannot imagine a scenario where Cotton would bite! Even at the vet while drawing blood!

Whereas my juvenile Quaker thinks up new reasons to bite every day haha

(P.S. thanks for the tag, @AussieBird ! I heart Ringnecks!!)

Mist.N

Meeting neighbors
I've heard a lot about IRNs being nippy and some being downright bloodthirsty. It's always nice to hear otherwise.
Bugi (my girl) did bite (a lot) when I first got her, but I can understand why. She was left in a small cage in a very noisy petshop by the man who previously brought her from a breeder. She spent a few months there before I got her. The shop owners saw that she was suffering, she went from nice and friendly to absolutely insane and angry (as one would I suppose, if they were suddenly left in an unfamiliar, tight, noisy place).
P. S. I'm also not sure if Bugi's and IRN or ARN. In my native language their name translates to Little Alexandrine, so I guess she could be either xD
@AussieBird love the artwork! :loveshower:

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Oh I also agree with @MnGuy about temperament - I literally cannot imagine a scenario where Cotton would bite! Even at the vet while drawing blood!

Quakers are very beak communicate, beak bossy, beak bully, beak testing, beak tease, beak hold...but not so much into beak pain once they learn pressure.

@Parutti your guy Cotton is a brain man! But he has also had lot he went through before you rescued him! Neglect...maybe even sbuse...was terrified at the rescue never getting to relax with all tge chaos around him. He has bloomed under your care!!!

Pixiebeak

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
I've heard a lot about IRNs being nippy and some being downright bloodthirsty. It's always nice to hear otherwise.
Bugi (my girl) did bite (a lot) when I first got her, but I can understand why. She was left in a small cage in a very noisy petshop by the man who previously brought her from a breeder. She spent a few months there before I got her. The shop owners saw that she was suffering, she went from nice and friendly to absolutely insane and angry (as one would I suppose, if they were suddenly left in an unfamiliar, tight, noisy place).
P. S. I'm also not sure if Bugi's and IRN or ARN. In my native language their name translates to Little Alexandrine, so I guess she could be either xD
@AussieBird love the artwork! :loveshower:
I was thinking she looked a little ARN , but im no expert...crosses are common in some places

Parutti

Jogging around the block
Avenue Spotlight Award
I didn't know if Cotton was an IRN or ARN at first either, but they really are so similar in personality from what I've heard and seen.

"Little Alexandrine" is the best! I love that! Bugi is a lucky girl :)

Yes I think if Cotton had stayed in his former home he probably would have started biting. I personally think that what you can find online about the ringneck "bluffing" stage is not helpful to ringneck owners, because they go through the same process of building trust as everyone else. Their body language is different than some other species, but that's also true of all the different species ;)

I don't know if it's true of most ringnecks, but I've heard it from a few people about their birds and it's definitely true with Cotton - he does not respond to excited praise and attention! In fact he rejects all attempts, ha! We're still learning with each other so maybe he'll get there, but as of now he practically rolls his eyes when I tell him he's done a good job!

Quakers are very beak communicate
Oh yes, he never breaks the skin, it's all learning and testing and telling me his moods :) and he's still a wee babe :heart:

AussieBird

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak

Really. The IRN that I had many years ago could bite very well with that sharp beak. Willow would tap me with his beak if he’s annoyed but I don’t know what I’d have to do to get a real bite. I suppose insisting he step up from his sleeping spot might do it.
Jasper can deliver quite a bite when startled but has been biting less and less. i hope she ?will continue to settle down so I can do more stuff with her.