• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of playstands does everyone have?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I am just curious what kind of playstand everyone has:cool1: Please post pics and links:p

In the next coming months, I'm going to be spending a lot of money on the fids as I want more PLAYSTANDs:o:

Last edited:

thejoie

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
We have one manzanita one that I bought from CL, not sure the brand but Mia and Summer loved it!

We also have one that's primarily Mia's- I'm also not sure the brand (another CL find!!)

I have some grapewood and I'm thinking of making my next one :)

Attachments

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I have some grapewood and I'm thinking of making my next one :)
Ya know Joanna, that's a great idea :D

We have a TON of birdie safe trees around here..

I know how Manzanita and most playstands are made. I wonder how hard/easy it would be to make one!

I think that'll be my next project!:dance4:

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
I make all of mine from PVC and then cover them in sisal or hemp...

Here's my latest work in progress

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Hey Heather, that is a NICE playstand!:eek: Very nicely done!:highfive:

Do you have anymore pics of it, and any others you have?:cool1:

thejoie

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Joanna
Heather- that looks AWESOME!!
I can only PRAY that mine looks half as good. Where did you get the sisal from? I'm going to be on the market for some soon!

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Hey Heather, that is a NICE playstand!:eek: Very nicely done!:highfive:

Do you have anymore pics of it, and any others you have?:cool1:
Thanks! Yes I do actually, but I'm leaving work so I'll post more when I get home.

Heather- that looks AWESOME!!
I can only PRAY that mine looks half as good. Where did you get the sisal from? I'm going to be on the market for some soon!
Thanks! I used hemp rope there and I actually found it at walmart. Totally unsmelly, untreated all natural hemp cord. It was $9 for a roll of it and I've gone through one and a half so far. I'm going to finish wrapping it hopefully tonight.

ortegah

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Oh let me correct that. The net that hangs under it is sisal rope and I do believe I got it from California Bird Nerds :)

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I have a few Java wood stands, two table top (a large and a medium) as well as a full tree. I also have a metal stand, the EZ Care Activity Centre Playground for small birds. All of those stands are in my living room. In my bird room, I have two parrot tower type of stands; one is an actual parrot tower, a table top model and the other is like this one, which I bought use for $15 and quite honestly, I don't think it's worth much more than that (the actual parrot tower is a better buy I find).

Some pictures

Large Java table top stand and EZ care activity centre

Medium Java table top stand

Java tree, which I believe is a small but still plenty big for my birds.

Terri

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Terri
I have one my hubby made. He's in the works of making two more - 1 for me and 1 for Jen. This was the 1st he ever attempted and it turned out well. Our SC2 loves it. Only about $30 of supplies and maybe 2 hrs of work if that.

Carly's playstand.jpg

Carly's playstand2.jpg

Emmilyy

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Wow all these stands look great!

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I am just curious what kind of playstand everyone has:cool1: Please post pics and links:p

In the next coming months, I'm going to be spending a lot of money on the fids as I want more PLAYSTANDs:o:
We have many...including the Parrot Tower (which is our least favorite), a large portable, on wheels stand, with 2 dishes - we removed the dreaded plain wood dowelling and added a super thick arbutus wood perch. This is the stand we use for short time periods for Mijo, GW.

Favorite by a mile are Java wood play stands and trees! We have 3 of them and love them.
We had to add our own food cups, but the wood is easy enough to drill yourself.

One of our favorites, to use for short periods by any of our birds, except our GW, is one we've had for many years. It's from Rose Pet.
Scroll to see the TriGym - love this, as there's a toy hook too! Fold it up and take anywhere. We have brought it on visits many times, and love how compact & portable it is.
Product Listing - ESSENTIALS

I also love the new one from StarBird. We'll be ordering it next.

We also have a homemade arbutus play tree, which has serviced our YNA very well for many years.
It has lots of branches, lots of room to move around & play...and room for food cups.
Here is a pic:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
WOW all of the stands Im seeing are totally awesome!!:dance4:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
We also have a homemade arbutus play tree, which has serviced our YNA very well for many years.
It has lots of branches, lots of room to move around & play...and room for food cups.
Here is a pic:
That looks lovely! I think Im going to try my "skills" at making my own playstands:laughing12: I love the idea.

And I have to say that looks marvelous!

Do you have any more pictures showing the full playstand?

Im wondering,fi Im to do a wooden playstand, how am I going to do the base? So any insight or advice/suggestions MUCH appreciated!

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
I have one my hubby made. He's in the works of making two more - 1 for me and 1 for Jen. This was the 1st he ever attempted and it turned out well. Our SC2 loves it. Only about $30 of supplies and maybe 2 hrs of work if that.

View attachment 19585

View attachment 19586

That looks REALLY NICE!

Where do you go to get the PVC?

Cory

Real Name
Cory
Everyone has such fantastic play areas! :highfive:

I have a few different play areas here, but I definitely need MORE!

The main natural wood play gym

This I bought from a local family run business called Stands by Nature. They don't ship though but I'm sure you can make your own with some effort.

It's plenty of play room especially for the little guys. I constantly enrich it with different things so that it's always interesting.

The atom play gym

This is I hand made from hoolah hoops, masking tape, and rope. It used to be hanging (shown in the first photo) but now I just carry it around and place it wherever it's secure (shown in the second photo). I can't have anything hanging in the basement where my main flock is because the house was up for sale and might be again.

Regular stands

I have two of these at the moment. I place foraging trays on the round bases to create foraging stations for the birds and i also use them during flight training and travel.

Acrylic play gym

This I bought for Kiwi. She doesn't use it too much but it looks nice! :lol:

A small net

This is a net that I currently have in my lovebird aviary but I'll be using it as a play area for my main flock soon. It's good for smaller birds.

Hanging branches

Something simple is just to hang branches from the ceiling. You can also hang natural baskets too!

Deejo

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
That looks lovely! I think Im going to try my "skills" at making my own playstands:laughing12: I love the idea.

And I have to say that looks marvelous!

Do you have any more pictures showing the full playstand?

Im wondering,fi Im to do a wooden playstand, how am I going to do the base? So any insight or advice/suggestions MUCH appreciated!
You could easily make one yourself! Since this one was for our amazon, what we did for base is:
We had a table custom built - the dang table -made of pine- cost us $150. LOL....then hubby simply had 1" thick plywood cut to fit over the entire top of the table.
The bottom , 4" in diameter ends of the arbutus wood are drilled into the thick plywood. Drilled several times for stability. Hubby made it about 6 years ago, and the whole thing is still like brand new. Screws must be counter-sunk so that the plywood base sits flush on the table.

Of course, you don't need a custom table made - grab one at a flea market.

Another idea, that I have seen in person at a friends - buy a huge big pot. Fill with cement, add a tree that has some good horizontal branches...and presto, am instant play tree for the price of the pot and the cement.
We have never tried that method, but the one we saw looked really good! It too was made of arbutus.

I wil get more pics for you of our homemade arbutus play tree.

allison

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I have 2 parrot towers, a king's accrylic stand, and one semi-homemade manzanita/grapevine stand. I also have tons of hanging gyms and a couple portable stands.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.