• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of Mousebird do I have?

soulie12000

Moving in
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barry
I havent posted for 9 yrs now but here goes ,let her keep the eggs for a while or untill she gets tired of them 21 days or so ,you will get used to her laying them ,will be a regular occurance ,im in SA ,,if you need help you will find my details somewhere on the site under rescue or emergency ,regards soulie

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
I am in love with Mickey (Minnie?) :heart:
Sorry for interrupting, but what do you feed her? To me, it seems their diet is very diverse so I'm not sure how you simulate that.
Haha Hello there,
Luckily "Mickey" can pass as a girls name too haha...:heart:

Mousebirds are fruit-eaters so I try to give Mickey a variety of fruits. Her favorites include bananas, grapes, melons, berries, apple... etc
Normally I would chop everything up and put it in a bowl or I would put some fruits on a skewer and hang it in her cage where she can bite and pull pieces off herself.

In the mornings i give her a spoon full of my Futurelife porridge - she looooves it and gets restless if i take to long giving it to her hahaha!!:laugh:

I also giver her a pellet mixture from "AVI PLUS Mynah Pellets"... I add a bit of water to this to make it a bit softer. Mickey absolutely loves this.
Here is the picture....

DSC00097_450x600__47713.1455114449.500.659.jpg

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
I havent posted for 9 yrs now but here goes ,let her keep the eggs for a while or untill she gets tired of them 21 days or so ,you will get used to her laying them ,will be a regular occurance ,im in SA ,,if you need help you will find my details somewhere on the site under rescue or emergency ,regards soulie
Hi, thank-you for your reply.
This was very helpful.

I will definitely contact you if I need help.

Thank-You

Cait

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Caitlyn Stewart
Ive had Mickey my RedFaced Mousebird for about 10 weeks now and I suspect he was about 1-2 weeks when I found him.
My life would have had an empty space if I didn’t decide to bring him home.
He’s been so super cute and we’ve grown such a bond together. I can’t imagine not having him in my life.

Here are 2 pictures of his sleeping spots: either on his teddy or on my neck. He sleeps throughout the night on the teddy and in the morning when it’s time to get up he jumps on me to wake me up to go feed him breakfast haha. So cute.

View attachment 266006
View attachment 266007
I’m a bit late on this but my red faced mouse bird also loves to sleep in my neck and on my chest. Mickey is too cute ❤