• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of Mousebird do I have?

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
Very cute but be careful with him sleeping in bed with you. Things have been OK with that for you and Mickey so far but people have rolled over on their birds and that did not turn out well.
I do understand the risk but we’ve been sleeping good. Its been 6 months and he sleeps with me everynight. I’m a really light sleeper and since he sleeps under my chin I’m always aware that he’s there. I move him when i change sleeping positions at night. Which is quite alot. It’s been all good so far and he wont sleep anywhere else in the room.

Garet

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Garet
He's a cute bird, but I really don't think you should be risking his life like that. Even if you don't roll over and crush him, he can't be getting a good night's rest if you're moving him 'quite a lot'. Birds also need several more hours of sleep than we do.

Tjirpee

Moving in
Real Name
Larga Parker
Hi Cayleigh-Anne! So I am another SA girl who has developed a love affair with these awesome likkle fella's! He looks like a specked mouse bird. Mine also loves the fluffy blankets and teddy bears. I saw someone else also said that their one did. He baths in/on them. As a mommy I didn't know he dust baths so I bathed and dried him with the hair dryer. He adores it! People from everywhere come to see him have a blow dry, you cant help but laugh. Pity they are a pest in this country, I would love to get a friend for Tjirp's. Tjirpee Daddy's boy.jpg here he is by daddy.........

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Beeper, a female house finch, loved sleeping on my mouse hand, sitting on my hat and reaching over to pull my eye brows, and stealing our food and drink and taking baths in anything we held that had water in it. They are about Mouse Bird sized and at least she had a similar attitude. Folks generally don't rescue and raise them here but she certainly loved us in her own way.

Tjirpee

Moving in
Real Name
Larga Parker
Lets not start on the sleeping. :smuggrin::smuggrin: Tjirpee sleeps in his small cage that he had as baby, under a blankie and on a hot water bottle. That's only after 10pm though, before that he sleeps inside my gown on my shoulder or hidden under my hair. The way he worms himself sideways into position is cuteness overload. We also potty trained him! ;) When he was smaller he used to put himself into bed. He also gets up at 8:30am every morning, so not an early bird this one.........

Tjirpee

Moving in
Real Name
Larga Parker
Hello Cayleigh-Anne, Ah he is beautiful! And he must give you as much joy as Tjirpie does us! We are in Midrand SA so you are around the corner.
Tjirpie's family live in the trees here where I work and I regulaly see the "family". ;).
Wierd that now I can tell a mouse bird call from miles away where before I don;t think I would have even heard it. Tjirp is about 5 months now. Will see if I can post a pic.

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
Hello Cayleigh-Anne, Ah he is beautiful! And he must give you as much joy as Tjirpie does us! We are in Midrand SA so you are around the corner.
Tjirpie's family live in the trees here where I work and I regulaly see the "family". ;).
Wierd that now I can tell a mouse bird call from miles away where before I don;t think I would have even heard it. Tjirp is about 5 months now. Will see if I can post a pic.
Hi! Oh wow Tjirpie is sooo damn cute! Little bundle of fluff!

I also had no knowledge of Mousebirds till i got my Mickey then suddenly i hear them everywhere! Don’t get so see them often unfortunately but I definitely know they are there.

Hahaha Mickey also looooves my phone and that makes it so difficult to take pictures of him

It’s so cute that Tjirpie is potty trained. I’ve also trained mickey so he doesn’t mess in my bed and if he needs to he’ll fly to his cage.

Yeahh sleeping in must be a Mousebird thing i get a dirty look every morning when i have to get up for work hahaha shame

Really nice hearing about other Mousebird Mommy’s ❤

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
I know, I know... it has been so long since I’ve posted last.

Mickey was 8 months old since the last time... She is now 1 year and 4 months... yes Shee!

What a surprise I got when I arrived home today to find my baby sitting on an egg. So cute! Unfertalised ofcoarse... it is going to be such a huge adjustment for me to call him a her now she has been sitting on this egg since i got home.

She didn’t even greet me when i got home - i had a mini heart attack because I thought she had hurt herself again - a few weeks ago she got one nail caught on the side of her cage and unfortunately ripped her nail off. It took me days to stop the bleeding (i even soaked her toe in gentian violet and that didn’t help) her toe is all good now. Just patiently waiting for the nail to grow back.

Here is a picture of my Redfaced Mousebird Mickey sitting on her egg

3C7DC9D6-B8E7-4225-90F9-5835856E8302.jpeg
B1E58721-7905-4977-870E-691C97EFC400.jpeg

Mickey’s Birthday: 13 November 2018
She is 1 year 4 months old today when she laid her first unfertilised egg.

As you can see her face has still yet to turn red.

#redface #mousebird #redfacedmousebird #redfaced

I love my Redfaced Mousebird ❤

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
She's so cute!

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
Well Mickey Has poped out another one...
Can anyone give any advice on what i should do with the eggs... they are obviously infertile, but her mommy instincts kicked in and she’s guarding these little eggs and I don’t really want to desterb her... any pointers for me?

Some people say i should remove the eggs about a week from now and the also remove her “nest” as it could be an invitation for her to lay eggs?

4DF935E0-75A7-4FD8-AB11-90318B2AF4FE.jpeg

#help #eggs #redface #redfaced #redfacedmousebird #redfacemousebird #mousebird

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Personally, I'd let her keep them until she gets bored and gives up on them. I don't know if it's the same with softbills but removing eggs from tiels & gccs just makes them lay more which is a drain on their calcium.

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
Personally, I'd let her keep them until she gets bored and gives up on them. I don't know if it's the same with softbills but removing eggs from tiels & gccs just makes them lay more which is a drain on their calcium.
Thank-You I appreciate your opinion. I will let her keep them hahaha and see how it goes

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Well at least you're safe knowing that they aren't viable eggs so you won't come home to hatched chicks.

But your little girl has now been added to my list of fids that I want to birdnap.

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
Well at least you're safe knowing that they aren't viable eggs so you won't come home to hatched chicks.

But your little girl has now been added to my list of fids that I want to birdnap.
Hahaha ahwww my Mickey is so cute! O love her sooo soo much.

She still sleeps with my every night on my neck (except the last few days while she’s sitting on her eggs) really missing my cuddle partner....

53AD396B-B399-4F1B-BE37-E5F72BDD2C7F.jpeg

Attachments

BlueDoraBarry

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Barry
I am in love with Mickey (Minnie?) :heart:
Sorry for interrupting, but what do you feed her? To me, it seems their diet is very diverse so I'm not sure how you simulate that.