• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of Mousebird do I have?

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
Mickey just gets more and more beautiful. Hope someone who has experience with mousebirds will answer your question about the twitches. Can you video that? My sparrow has movements that look like twitches but it's a normal thing. Best described as flitting??

Thank-You. I’m trying to upload a video but I’m not too successful with that.

And I’m not sure i would describe it as flitting. What Mickey has is more like little pannic attacks, like a bad case of hiccups and he cant stop. When I assure him everything okay he seems to calm down in a way...

Any pointers on how to upload a video here?

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
Mickey just gets more and more beautiful. Hope someone who has experience with mousebirds will answer your question about the twitches. Can you video that? My sparrow has movements that look like twitches but it's a normal thing. Best described as flitting??
I think this could work?
This is a looped video but even without the loop This is what he does...

B76D54FF-FCA9-4FA2-B3CC-65F00C2B3BF2.gif

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Doesn't look like what Spee does but it's hard to tell with the looping. I hope one of the members who has mousebirds can help you out. @Alet

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
My Glasses come with a cute Mousebird accessory ❤

DD7B5938-88B1-451E-9A8A-EE93FB7BED20.jpeg

Mickey’s beak is starting to look more and more like a Redfaced Mousebird everyday ❤

5F3A6621-C005-458D-B197-B37EFF3E1773.jpeg

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
His face would definitely steal anyone's heart! What a love.

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
He is such a cutie:D

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra

Amy Pierce

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Amy Pierce
Hey @Cayleigh-Anne! Mickey is ADORABLE :xflove: I'm also from SA, I live in KZN! I haven't been on in a while, but I always get so excited when I see other SA users who have rescued Mousies! I have a Speckled Mousebird called Nimh. She's such a cutie. I actually rehab birds and someone gave her to me as a tame adult to release, but it just wasn't possible. They make such awesome companions. I also used to have a baby Speckled called Twitch, who was named that because of his habit of twitching/shaking every couple of seconds when he got excited :laugh: not sure why he did it, I think it could have been a response to his "mom" and thinking I was bringing him food. It didn't look quite the same as your Mickey's twitching action, but Twitch unfortunately didn't live to Mickey's age :( so maybe it would have developed the same later on? I'm afraid I can't give any more advice about it!
I hope Mickey continues to bring you loads of joy and love! :heart:

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
Hey @Cayleigh-Anne! Mickey is ADORABLE :xflove: I'm also from SA, I live in KZN! I haven't been on in a while, but I always get so excited when I see other SA users who have rescued Mousies! I have a Speckled Mousebird called Nimh. She's such a cutie. I actually rehab birds and someone gave her to me as a tame adult to release, but it just wasn't possible. They make such awesome companions. I also used to have a baby Speckled called Twitch, who was named that because of his habit of twitching/shaking every couple of seconds when he got excited :laugh: not sure why he did it, I think it could have been a response to his "mom" and thinking I was bringing him food. It didn't look quite the same as your Mickey's twitching action, but Twitch unfortunately didn't live to Mickey's age :( so maybe it would have developed the same later on? I'm afraid I can't give any more advice about it!
I hope Mickey continues to bring you loads of joy and love! :heart:

Wow thank you Amy for sharing your story with me :joyful: made my day.

Being excited might explain the twitches Mickey has - that just makes so much more sence.

Thanks x