• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of Mousebird do I have?

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
Mickey is adorable and "cute enough to eat" but not in the real sense. I don't mean to put a damper on your post because it is so cute, but be careful of letting your little one sleep under your chin. A little green cheek conure I fostered who was adopted to a young girl let him sleep with her with fatal results. I blame myself because it was the one thing I did not warn her about because NONE of my fids have ever slept with me in bed.

Thank-You for the message and yes I am totally aware of what could happen. fortunately I am a light sleeper and I do move him when I turn over. I try to let him sleep in the cage but he wines to get out and i feel so guilty and let him out. I would wake up in the night and put him back in his cage... he seems to be okay when i do it like that

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
He is sooo adorable! :heart::heart::heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What do you feed a mousebird?

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
What do you feed a mousebird?
Mousebirds are fruit eaters.
My little birdie gets a variety of fruits such as watermelon, apple, grapes, mango, kiwi, pineapple, banana, nectarines etc.... hes really fond of watermelon and bananas... probably because its soft and easy for him to eat.

I also got a softbill food mix at a petshop that I mix with water into a paste added with his chopped up fruits. The mix is good as it contains vitamins that a growing birdie needs.

I make up a fresh batch about 3-4 times a day since fruit gets spoiled so quick, especially in this summer heat hmmm...

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
He is growing even more beautiful:heart::heart:

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
Ive had Mickey my RedFaced Mousebird for about 10 weeks now and I suspect he was about 1-2 weeks when I found him.
My life would have had an empty space if I didn’t decide to bring him home.
He’s been so super cute and we’ve grown such a bond together. I can’t imagine not having him in my life.

Here are 2 pictures of his sleeping spots: either on his teddy or on my neck. He sleeps throughout the night on the teddy and in the morning when it’s time to get up he jumps on me to wake me up to go feed him breakfast haha. So cute.

D1F47D91-BE12-4234-87FA-F53018CBAD76.jpeg
145B19BC-F0E5-4C11-B9E1-78BBB40D74C8.jpeg

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
I am so happy you found him! Without you he could have died and now he Has lots of love:heart: He is so adorable and sounds like a wonderful little friend:heart:

green&grey

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
He's such an adorable little bird! Eeeeeee :loveshower:

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
So Mickey has these... I’m not sure what to call it... something like twitches/hiccups/frights/spastic attacks.... is this a Mousebird thing? Or is mickey somewhat special?
Not sure if I should be worried about it or not?
He seems to do it alot worse when hes in a new surrounding or when hes getting attention... it’s hard to pin-point when exactly he does it because he does it really often.

Does anyone know what it is?

247337F6-C5B7-4D1D-B09A-2F907E12B469.jpeg

Last edited:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Mickey just gets more and more beautiful. Hope someone who has experience with mousebirds will answer your question about the twitches. Can you video that? My sparrow has movements that look like twitches but it's a normal thing. Best described as flitting??

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What a beauty he is! Love the photos of him sleeping on 'his' teddy bear - Wow, he wakes you up every morning for breakfast, that's incredible! :heart: