• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of Mousebird do I have?

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:cantsee: Your mousebird is of the "cute" variety.

(Sorry, I have no experience with mousebirds; any kind would have gotten the same answer from me. :D)

Adam87

Moving in
I found a mousebird a couple weeks ago and they are awesome little dudes to take care of!!!
I took banana and pear, mushed it up and fed it to him through a syringe, you can add some orange to make it a little more liquid for him...I promise he'll love it!!!
If you can, take him out and put him in a bush in a sunny place and just watch how he fluffs himself up and basks in the sun and how and hops from place to place-SUPER CUTE!!!!
Your bird seems a little larger/older than the 1 I found so dont be skittish to let him roam around the garden...they're actually very smart and inquisitive little birds!!!!

HAVE LOADS OF FUN WITH HIM....

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I like that pink perch. :wideyed: What is it?

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
you have a Red-faced mousebird on your hands! It might not look like it now, but when their babies the "red face" doesn't really grow in, also not an expert so I'm not 100% sure

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
you have a Red-faced mousebird on your hands! It might not look like it now, but when their babies the "red face" doesn't really grow in, also not an expert so I'm not 100% sure
I thought red face at first but assumed it was in KZN like me whoops... If more Cape side then probably red face. Speckled is the most common in South Africa though. Juvenile red faces have no crest and a green tinged face my gran told me? Who knows

Hana Baig

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Hana Baig
I thought red face at first but assumed it was in KZN like me whoops... If more Cape side then probably red face. Speckled is the most common in South Africa though. Juvenile red faces have no crest and a green tinged face my gran told me? Who knows
I was debating with speckled and red faced for a while, there hard to tell apart, but I think its a speckled after what you said.

CallieCadmoor

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Georgia
I was debating with speckled and red faced for a while, there hard to tell apart, but I think its a speckled after what you said.
Yes really hard!! My experience extends to the pair of speckles that nest in a tree by my window... That's about it. But if they live more Cape side, I agree with you, red faced!

Cayleigh-Anne

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Cayleigh-Anne Venter
Yes really hard!! My experience extends to the pair of speckles that nest in a tree by my window... That's about it. But if they live more Cape side, I agree with you, red faced!
Makes alot of sence... thanks for the info :D I’ll have to wait and see and let you guys know