• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I would really like to take her for a checkup at the vet and to have her bands removed. One of her bands is riding up on top of her knee joint and I don’t like that at all.

But to take her to the vet I am going to have to catch her which will destroy our trust bond.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She might be angry at first but she will get over it. Work with getting her used to a towel and also getting her used to a carrier. You can put treats on a towel and see if she will walk on top of that. Some of my birds are very comfortable with towels which makes things easier when they go to the vet or I have to do something like give them meds.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Hey everyone!

Mango stepped up onto my forearm this morning in exchange for a sunflower seed! It was very brief, but she did it!!!!!

I am so excited. We have to keep training.

Wooohooooooo!!!!!

Hope everyone is doing well!
Craig

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Way to go Mango!
Small steps, great rewards. :bounce8:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Yay

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Aww Craig, I'm so happy for you. And Mango! It's been a long, long journey. Lucky birdie, having you hang in there so long. :heart:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:starshower1::yah:
That's really great news. Good for you and good for Mango! I knew she (he??) would perch on you some day. Maybe next time Mango will hang out a bit longer.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Aww Craig, I'm so happy for you. And Mango! It's been a long, long journey. Lucky birdie, having you hang in there so long. :heart:
Thank you!!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
:starshower1::yah:
That's really great news. Good for you and good for Mango! I knew she (he??) would perch on you some day. Maybe next time Mango will hang out a bit longer.
Thank you! Yes, I hope so!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I came home this evening after leaving Mango alone for 3-4 hours. She is acting like she is starving and only wants to be hand-fed. Though I filled her bowl with the usual fare, including safflower seeds, almonds, Nutri-Berries, Avi-Cakes, seed mix, pellets, etc, she is begging me to hand-feed her seeds. She doesn't seem to want to feed herself, she wants me to hand-feed her the seeds. I am not sure why she is acting like this.

She has always seemed to enjoy it when I hand-feed her some seeds while she sits on top of her cage. While doing this, she likes to snuggle up real close to me. It always feels like a bonding time. However, it seems that she is starting to like it too much. Or maybe, now that I am using some sunflower seeds when training her, she may be begging for more sunflower seeds. Not sure, but it seems abnormal. Has anyone else ever seen this behavior?

I am REALLY concerned about her diet, but I feel completely helpless to get her to start eating a better diet. I am very worried that she is going to be a very short-lived bird. Her liver and kidnies aren't going to do well on a diet that is 95% safflower seeds. I have tried just about everything I can think of and all of the pointers everyone here has given me, but Mango is just sooooo stubborn. SHE ONLY WANTS SEEDS. It really makes me sad.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It sounds as if she wants extra attention. How is she acting other than wanting you to feed her? If she is acting "off" then you may want to consider taking her to the vet. I know that you are fearful of losing trust with her if you do that. Are there any seed hulls in her bowl or on the bottom of the cage?
Have you ever tried the Mazuri small bird maintenance pellets? Jaden is willing to eat those whereas he wouldn't eat the Caitec Oven Fresh Bites.

Last edited:

Fuzzy

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
Try sprouting the safflower seeds and put them on top of other fresh foods. When I added safflowers to my sprouting mix, I got 100% interest in the sprouts. I also sprout sunflowers and put them on top of other fresh foods.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I am blown away!!!!!

TONIGHT, MANGO STEPPED ONTO MY FINGER IN EXCHANGE FOR A SUNFLOWER SEED!!!!!!

To me, this is huge!!!!!! I have hoped for that for sooooo long!!

it’s amazing how smart she is. Seriously. Conures are VERY smart birds. Tonight when we started training, she looked at me as if to say, “I get this.” Then, she stepped right up, took her seed, and stepped off. I almost fell over. She did it 3 times!! Not only that, but her whole demeanor toward me is changing. She seems so much more comfortable and glad to see me.

i can’t tell you how happy I am!!!! Wooohoooooooooooo!!!!

Last edited:

Dona

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I want to "like" this many times! Woot!
:congratualtions:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That is extra special. Celebration time for you and Mango! :congratsbig:
Is she eating from her bowl again or just expecting you to feed her by hand.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
That is extra special. Celebration time for you and Mango! :congratsbig:
Is she eating from her bowl again or just expecting you to feed her by hand.
She is eating from her bowl and begging to be hand-fed. Also, once she figured out our training routine, she has been going back to the spot where we train, and calling me and looking at me. I think she wants to continue the routine so that she can get more sunflower seeds. But I have to be very careful not to give her too many seeds. It is actually really cute the way I show her the seed now and she reaches out with that little foot and grabs a hold of my finger. Conures are very intelligent. Wow.

Mark & Da Boyz

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Mark
Yous tell inspired me to try working harder to hand tame Riti with your "Carrot" of treats. Riti is starting to put a foot on my arm and even climbed on my arm to get the Slivered Almond and then climbed up to my shoulder to eat it. Major progress thank you for posting as it got me t try again.