• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
conure.jpg
I saw this little girl sitting all alone in a pet store today. The attendant told me that she is a very young nanday conure (probably a female, but not sure), but it looks more to me like a pineapple green cheek. Sorry that it is blurry, but she would not sit still so it was very difficult to get a shot.
I feel so bad for her because she is all alone in this little cage and has no contact with other birds. She is very small and appears to be very young. She seems very quiet and skiddish. She tries to run away from me when I approach the cage, yet, when I back away, she seems like she wants me to stay near by. Sometimes, she starts doing a strange head-bobbing dance as she looks at me from a distance. I am not sure if that means "don't leave me," or "back off!"
There is a part of me that would really like to take her home. I feel so bad for her!!
Do female conures have all of the hormone problems/egg laying issues, etc. that other species have?
Thanks!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I would agree with Pineapple Green Cheek.

Head bob dance depends... if it isbobbing up and down its usually excitement. If it's coupled with tapping, then its a territory signal. If it's kind of serpentine, like she's hearing the song of a snake charmer, run away LOL

All birds are subject to hormones, and green cheeks too. They are usually not chronic egg layers though

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
The dance she does is a very elaborate serpentine motion where it looks like she is moving her head in a figure-eight or something like that. I didn't notice any tapping.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The serpentine is usually "aggressive". I have seen it being done playfully in my own conure before but it really is usually bad mojo lol

Skipper

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Scott Schifer
I agree she is a pineapple. She is conflicted, she wants attention, but is afraid at the same time. Our Macaw does the same thing with me. He begs me to come over to his cage, and then lunges at the bars when I get there. As soon as I step back, he begs again.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Pet stores count on customers to "" feel sorry" so they have a sale. See if you can interact with the bird in a small room. With the sales people not knowing the mutation I would ask to see the shipping papers of the bird.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I have been visiting her a couple of times per week. I talk to her in a soft voice each time I visit her. It now seems like she recognizes me and gets excited when she sees me! Instead of running away, she now chirps at me and gets into position to try to launch off of her perch at me, wings fluttering. She is the smallest pineapple green cheek I have ever seen. I really hope that someone buys her soon because she must be really lonely in that little space.
After losing my bird, it really is comforting to visit her!!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Yes, I would definitely consider it, but I am hesitant because of my work hours. But I miss having a parrot around when I am at home soooooo much!!! Also, I would have to buy a new cage. The cage that my pionus lived in has a 3/4" bar spacing, which is too big for a little conure.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I adored a cinnamon gcc at Petsmart. Someone bought the bird and I was very sad but then they returned him/her because it bit their little girl. I thought about it again but then adopted two 'tiels. However I went back to see if he/she was still available and someone else had purchased him/her. I regretted not getting that cinnamon. So sweet.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I still stop in to see this little bird a couple of times per week. I am feeling increasingly sad for her because of her circumstances. She is a very young pineapple gcc that sits in a very small cage all alone in a dark part of the pet store near the fish/amphibians/reptiles. There are budgies in some of the cages underneath her, but she can not see or interact with them. She spends day after day just sitting alone on a dow rod perch in very dim lighting, without being handled. It seems that she is growing more and more timid. She has not warmed up to me as I would have hoped.
About a week ago, I alerted the store manager that the light above her cage is out, and he said that he is aware of it, but it has still not fixed. I also offered to purchase a better perch for her, but was turned down.
At times, I feel so sorry for her, that I come close to buying her and taking her home. But I can't help to think that if I do, I am rewarding the pet store for the way they treated her. They will then be encouraged to get another conure and put it in the same cage. I will be contributing to the problem. At the same time, conures are such social creatures that it must be so stressful for her to live such a solitary life in such a small place. Also, in my condo, she would spend 8-10 hours alone each day while I work. But I would love the opportunity to show her a better life!!!

Ninna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Kate Pinks
Poor little bird - it's a real conundrum, I hate the idea of rewarding the pet store and perpetuating the problem, but at the same time it's hard to see a bird treated that way without wanting to save her. Sometimes I'm glad that the pet shops in my area don't actually have birds for sale. I'm so glad you're still visiting her!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's very sweet of you to visit her. I think the two of you have probably bonded and you need to take her home. It's not always quantity of time but quality of time that you spend with our birds. As for rewarding the store, I understand what you are saying but don't let that hold you back. She needs a wonderful home where she will be loved and cared for.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Seriously? Even though I work?

Do you think that a very timid bird that hasn't been handled much would be a challenge to tame? She might be a biter!!!

At this point, i really am considering buying her.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
People who work do have birds and the birds are generally OK. Just have to give them quality time. Have you handled her at all? Any bird can bite. Even some of the ones I've hand fed might bite. Go with your gut.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I had a bird for 21 years who died recently, and she did fine with my working. But I have read that green-cheeks need more attention. I would definitely have her out of the cage with me each day when I get home from work until she goes to sleep.

Yes, I can handle some biting. i know that small conures have a reputation for being nippy, and I was thinking that she might be especially nippy being so timid.

I haven’t handled her. Maybe I should try!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Do you know how old she is?

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
Think about it this way: is being alone for 8-9 hours a day but with plenty of enrichment and stimulation, and human attention for a number of hours besides that, worse than being stuck alone in a dark cage at a pet store with what sounds like no attention and no enrichment?

I think birds can do just fine in a home with someone who works a full-time job, and know quite a few people who manage. As @iamwhoiam pointed out, it's not always about the number of hours you can spend with them, but the quality of that time. If you're still worried about it, and this is just a thought since obviously I don't know what your situation is like, but you could look into bringing home a friend for her too. A lot of birds do seem to really appreciate the added companionship, even if it's not sharing a cage or even the same species of bird it's still someone to chatter to.

ETA: I definitely understand not wanting to support the pet store, I'm sure a lot of us on here have similar opinions. But it sounds like you two have bonded, and she deserves a fantastic home. Someone will purchase her eventually, giving the store more room to take in another poor bird, but at least this one would have a guaranteed good home if you took her. Just something to think about.