• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She's very cute. Big bright eyes. She seems to be very excited. The cage is definitely dark. Can't predict her personality and if she will become your buddy but with love and patience there is the potential. It's a shame that they don't work with her in the store. At my local Petsmart they handle and work with the conures. Do you want to take a chance with her? If she doesn't want to be your buddy and sit with you and step up then will you be OK with that?
How old is she? Sorry if you posted that but I don't remember.
I don't think the head rubbing is a warning.

HolliDaze

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Machelle
You'll be hard pressed to find a calm bird in a store. ,I'm sure, 9/10 of the times a human interacted with her, they were trying to scare her. Or they were kids who didn't know they were scaring her. There's no way she would act any sort of calm around you. Get her home, give her a few months, and she'll start being herself. She'll be skittish and scared most of the time until she knows she's safe.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Because I am only planning on having one bird, I would much prefer to have a bird that is affectionate and enjoys being handled, hanging out on my shoulder, etc. If I would buy this bird and she always remained stand-off-ish, I would still love her, but be very disappointed.
Once again, thanks so much for the opinions! Bird-lovers are so awesome!!

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
I agree that she doesn't look angry, or like she's trying to warn you off. More frustrated.

There's no guarantee any bird will love to be touched. Of my two, River (GCC) is content to hang out around me but not on me and will step up, but does not like any sort of contact beyond that. Soleil (a Sun) likes to hang out on my shoulder and will very rarely try to cuddle with my hand but also is not by any means what one would consider a "cuddly" bird. They are both still wonderful birds! I think you'd be surprised how much of a companion they can be even without you being able to touch them much.

That said, there's no guarantee this bird wouldn't love attention once she actually got some. At this point, though, she's probably not really sure what to make of people. She's been in a small, dark pet store cage with no real positive human interaction. It would take some time and work, but I don't think by any means she would not be able to be tamed. She already seems interested, she's just unsure.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I started out with two birds who loved to be handled and were very affectionate.

Then they matured and that changed.

Then I got a Hahns who wanted nothing to do with hands but was by far more affectionate.

Affection doesn't have to mean stepping up and petting. They can be affectionate in SO many ways.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Even if you got a friendly baby bird when that baby matures he/she could change and not want to be your buddy any more. I think this bird is excited to see you. Maybe she is timid and shy but possibly when she has human interaction and someone to love her she will come out of her shell. No way to really know. Doesn't help that she is housed in that dark and dismal cage and that the employees don't really spend the time to work with her.
My Dusky conure, Jaden, was a hand fed baby and very sweet and cuddly although he didn't cuddle for long amounts of time. He would rather play and explore. When he matured he became nippy. He still likes to be petted but have to watch carefully because he will also bite.
I raised and hand fed red-bellied parrots and each of them has different personalities ranging from super friendly, outgoing and sweet to slightly shy and introverted. Some don't try to bite and some do.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Wow, great information that I had not considered - especially that an affectionate, cuddly baby might not be that way after adolescence. I never really thought about that. I guess there are no guarantees. Great point.
I stopped at the pet store where I bought Cosmo 21 years ago tonight just to see what birds they might have. Oh Man!!!!! They had an open pen full of baby green cheek conures and it was amazing!!!! This was the first time that I have ever actually handled green cheeks and I was blown away! They are the cutest little creatures that I have ever seen. Adorable!! They would jump up onto my finger and hang out without thinking twice. They were playful and curious and never sit still. Wow!!! I loved them.
Here is a video of two baby green cheek best buddies wrestling. It was sooooooo fun to watch...
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
Here are the same two birds about 15 minutes later after they had worn themselves out...
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
At one point they were both sitting on my finger falling asleep. I fell in love instantly.
The downside was that they wanted $700-800 per bird!! Isn't that a very high price for a conure???? They were not wearing bands either.
No one is ever going to buy that bird at the other pet store when they could have one of these. I wish I could bring her over here to let her socialize with these guys.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
$700-$800 for a green check??? They are cute but the price is definitely too high, IMO.
Someone might buy the other gcc if they see these guys priced so high. How much is she?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My local Petsmart sells GCCs for $399. On Black Friday they will sometimes sell them at 50% of the price.
Pet stores always charge more for GCCs than most breeders.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Interesting because this store is a Petsmart as well. $699-$799.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
For my local Petsmart it depends on the mutation. Normal GCCs go for around $399 but mutations (such as your pineapple) are considered "fancy" and go for more.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
All GCCs seem to be selling for $399 at my Petsmart. Doesn't matter if they are pineapple or cinnamon. Never seen any other mutations there.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
True about the baby birds...You can never tell how they will mature. Cuddly babies can turn into nippy stubborn birds.
Thats one of the best reasons to adopt an older established birds as you can better predict the personality.
Most birds want to be around you but if they will want all the cuddling or if its healthy a yr or 2 down the road is yet to be seen.

RaeT

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rae
Interesting that all of the Petsmarts seem to have such different pricing. I would expect some variation between different locations, but not that much.

And yes, the cuddliest babies can turn around after adolescence and decide they don't even like to be handled much.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The fact that the first one is ‘timid’ and in the dark and sort of neglected would make me want to rise to the challenge and get her just to “fix” her.

But that’s me. Always trying to fix everybody.

As far as cuddly birds that want to hang out — I have some that are EITHER cuddly or are shoulder buddies but don’t want to cuddle. And some that just like to be nearby but don’t want me to touch them. I love them all! I think the fun part is getting to know their personalities and helping them develop their way of being. :) After all, you might be a human who likes to cuddle and hug, and you probably have friends who are the opposite. They’re still your friends - they’re just a little different from you.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I agree, @finchly, I am going to get the neglected bird. I love the other birds, but they are being well-cared for and have lots of companionship. I just visited them again and they were having a blast playing with each other and interacting with the people who were oooo-ing and awww-ing over them.
That other bird is sitting in a little dark box, confused and lonely. I'd rather give her a home. I will just have to work extra hard to earn her trust. Also, she may be more acclimated to my being gone 8-10 hours per day while I work.
Would an A&E Flight cage be appropriate for a green cheek? I tend to think it would be. 0.5-inch bar spacing and very roomy. The bars themselves were not as thick as on the other cages and flex a little bit more, but they still seem strong enough to resist a little conure. They have one at Petsmart for $249, which is a little more expensive than online, but don't have to deal with delivery and assembly, etc.
Now, I need to figure out what to feed a very shy, baby green cheek. I will do some research.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Oh my gosh! How exciting!!! :fairy2:

That is terrific news. Thank you for giving her a home.

Yes - my friend has her green cheek in a flight cage, and A&E is a good brand. The bar spacing is the important thing, and you've got that right.

You could probably ask some of the green cheek owners what to feed. :) Keep us updated!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes a flight cage is great for a green cheeked conure. I prefer the Avian Adventures Loro Flight Cage but the A&E is fine.

As for feeding, a base of pellets is a good idea. Then round it off with fresh veggies, grains, and a little fruit, and use seeds as a treat. Sprouted seeds are a good intro to fresh foods.

Pretty much any pellet except Kaytee is fine. Goldenfeast and TOPS are good ingredients but do not provide all of the things a bird needs, so I stick with "complete" diets. I tend to do about 50 to 75% pellets with the remainder made up of fresh foods and grains.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
What is he or she eating in the store? You could ask what they give her and buy at least a small bag of that so she's starting with what's familiar then begin to incorporate whichever new pellet you'd like to try to switch her to. But you can begin the fresh foods right away. They'll probably be thrilled with something fresh. :) Our Petco, I know feeds some fresh fruits & veggies, but I haven't seen it at our PetSmart; doesn't mean they don't.