• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

What kind of conure is this?

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Thank you so much, @RaeT, and @iamwhoiam, for your thoughts and opinions. It's really great to be able to think this through with other people who love birds.
One of the people at the store (they are all very nice) told me that she is very young, but didn't know how old. I think that they might have info from the breeder, so I can ask about that. I wish that I could talk them in to not getting any more conures and just carrying budgies instead. They keep about 10 budgies in each cage so they have plenty of companionship, even if it is a little crowded.
I think two birds might be a little much for me! But I maybe I could set up a large computer screen with plenty of parrot videos near the cage.
If I end up not getting this bird, then I will most likely get another Pionus very soon (likely, a blue-headed), but, for some reason, I really like the idea of a green cheek. They are so popular and seem to have amazing personalities!!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You could also check with Chandra @webchirp , she fosters a lot of GCCs, although sounds that you are intrigued by and interested in this one and you have had a chance to meet her up close and personal.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I wouldn;t let working keep you from getting a bird. Lots of them live in homes where someone works. I work at home & donlt really go out much but Rio just sleeps or does his own thing when he;s alone...no big deal as long as he gets his treats/dinner when I get home...trick is to try to for the most part keep a routine

GCC can get nippy in adolescence but can grow out of that still they can go thru bratty teen years. Pionus may be more laid back or so I hear as I never had one but have considered.

I guess try interacting with him more maybe offer her treats. Probably a while since she was handfed or handled so it may take time. Depends how you feel about her or if you want another pionus. I think the fact that you have thought about this bird for a month & keep going back that there is a connection but visitng them once or twice a week is alot different than having them in the home/. 3/4 cage bar space in is too big esp for a smaller GCC...
A gcc will probably be in your face ore than a pionus who may be more likely to go about its own business & they probably have a bit more energy...

Well good luck!

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
Thanks so much, everyone. Really appreciate all of the feedback. I will definitely let you know what I end up doing.
Yes, pionus are pretty laid back, @camelotshadow, though they do require a lot of attention. Cosmo had to be on my shoulder continually when I was home. She was a fantastic companion!! I miss her so much.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My dog's name is Kosmo but "K" instead of "C".

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
All parrots are social beings that require a lot of attention. That said, I work most of the day, but my flock has each other for company, plus the 2 bengals and my Dogo Argentino, Sophie. Alas, they also have Grandma, my mom, who spoils them and understands that they are the only grands she's getting from me.

You could play a radio during the day or put your cable on a music channel. Also, 2 birds would engage each other, even if in separate cages.

You have a connection to this bird, but you also seem to have a soft spot for pionus. You might need to do some soul searching. And as others have mentioned, if you buy that bird, you're feeding into the cycle: that store will buy another bird. Follow your heart: if you truly feel a connection and are willing to be a forever home for that conure, go for it. That bird needs love and a good home as much as a baby from a quality breeder. It's a quandary, I know. ;)

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Yes I have eleven fosters. She is a pineapple. Or him. I would never think badly of someone wanting to improve any birds situation. One bird, one at a time. Good luck with whatever you decide. Cheekies are wonderful little birds...I also have 12 soon to be 13 of my own. A wide variety of situations...pet store, Craig’s list, friends and of course rescue.

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I am not going to be able to buy him/her until next week (I have a presentation due on Thursday that I have to focus on for now), but I did stop in today after work for a few minutes just to check on her. It blew me away that she is STILL sitting in the dark. I could barely see her unless I got close to the cage.
She looked pitiful, just sitting there alone in the dark. Gave me a knot in my stomach! I can't help but to wonder if they are leaving her in the dark on purpose because they know I am interested and they want to encourage me to buy her. I just have one quick question for the people who are good at interpreting conure body language. At one point while I was talking to her, she put her beak on the glass on the side of the cage and slid her head up and down while keeping her beak on the glass, over a 2 or 3-inch span. Any idea why she would do this? Was this a warning to leave her alone? She didn't make any sounds. Her eyes kept opening/closing so I assume she was sleepy. I am not going to visit anymore this week until I can take her home. Its too emotionally draining!!
Thanks again!!
Craig

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sorry that it is hard on you to go and visit her. Don't let that stop you. You should ask them why they are leaving her in the dark. Does she have any toys at all?
Could have been that she wanted your attention and that's why she was doing that. Could be that she was just wiping her beak or playing.
Hope she will be OK. So sad for that little one.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
upload_2018-4-24_8-20-21.png

It does not matter what you do.
There will always be a sad bird in a dark cage with no toys in a petshop.
And you will never be able to save all of them, or stop it, no matter whether you support it or not.
But you can save THAT bird.
Do it- you won't regret it :)

TWR

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
The serpentine is usually "aggressive". I have seen it being done playfully in my own conure before but it really is usually bad mojo lol
My Sun does the serpentine dance sometimes and I’ve never considered him as aggressive. Is it usually an aggressive sign?

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
At times, I feel so sorry for her, that I come close to buying her and taking her home. But I can't help to think that if I do, I am rewarding the pet store for the way they treated her. They will then be encouraged to get another conure and put it in the same cage. I will be contributing to the problem.
its not her fault she’s a pet store bird. Pet store bird’s deserve good homes too. Not saying you should buy her if you’re not in a position too, but I wouldn’t not but her because she is in a pet store. You can’t stop the pet shop replacing her. They will likely replace her whether you buy her or someone else does. You can’t save them all, but you can save her.

Last edited:

TWR

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Seriously? Even though I work?

Do you think that a very timid bird that hasn't been handled much would be a challenge to tame? She might be a biter!!!

At this point, i really am considering buying her.
many of us work and still have well cared for and happy parrots in our home.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Sun does the serpentine dance sometimes and I’ve never considered him as aggressive. Is it usually an aggressive sign?

it depends. Koopa and I would do what I call snake charming and I'd whistle a pitch at her and she'd do it. It was different than the aggressive version

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
What I saw today was not really a serpentine. I saw that about a month ago and haven't seen it since. This was just a slow movement of the head from way down low, to way up high, then back down, then back up, several times while her beak was pushed up against the glass. It was very deliberate. Seemed like it was intended to communicate something!

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
View attachment 274781

It does not matter what you do.
There will always be a sad bird in a dark cage with no toys in a petshop.
And you will never be able to save all of them, or stop it, no matter whether you support it or not.
But you can save THAT bird.
Do it- you won't regret it :)
Agreed!:heart: My Henkie was bought from a pet store by his previous carer, and he is my heart. Don’t let it stop you thag this bird is in a pet store!:hug8: I know the pet store Henkie is from, the lovies(he is a lovebird) I see there always look absolutely terrified, his previous carer taught Henkie to bite from his cage, so he thought biting was a game when he came to me. Now he is the sweetest bird, always cuddling with me, playing games, doing silly things, and he loves nothing more then attention. Two days ago when I was cleaning the floor, I appearantly ignored him and he hung upside down from a branch so he could look me in the eye:xflove: He got his kisses after that of course. Judging from the birds I usually see there I guess he is aviary raised, not sure, but te point I am trying to make is that this bird could become your best buddy:hug8:

cab124

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Craig
I stopped in at the pet store after work tonight, thinking that I might take my buddy home. I talked to the manager about attempting to handle her, but he told me that he didn't think it would be a good idea because she is too timid. He said that she will just run from side to side on her perch to avoid stepping up and then gets very stressed. I spent about an hour hanging out with her and talking to her and felt like I got mixed signals. At first it seemed almost like she wanted to come to me, but then she started doing that head motion that looked like a warning to stay away.
Here are some links to video that I took of her. Sorry that it is blurry, but that was the best that my iPhone would do in low light.
Looking like she wanted to come to me:
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
Looking like she was warning me to stay away:
Microsoft OneDrive - Access files anywhere. Create docs with free Office Online.
She is an absolutely beautiful bird and I really like her, but I am worried that she might not make a good companion. What if she cannot be tamed, or remains extremely timid and afraid of everything? On the other hand, she could end up being a wonderful friend with a little love. I also worry about what happens to birds like this whos value must drop because they are hard to sell. Where do they end up?
I am so torn!!!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
She might be confused to. To me that is not an angry snake dance. Puffed feathers and a back and forth (vs up and down) and shifting weight side to side is the angry dance I am familiar with. It's too make them look bigger and more threatening than they are. She looks more frustrated than anything.

what do you consider a good companion? I have had a couple of birds over the years that won't let me touch them but were really great companions :)

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
It is also important to keep in mind she in a stressfull environment right now and she doesn’t know wether you are going to respect her and be Nice:) One of my fids(cockatiel) didn’t allow me to touch him, Fëanor(lovebird) touches me when he is playing(sometimes that silly bird rolls almost over in my hand:lol:), Henkie(lovebird) likes me to give him kisses and loved cuddles, and Blue(black capped conure) sometimes likes to cuddle and crawls up in my hand, and then he Goes weeks without cuddling. They are all amazing wether they let me touch them or not:)